Anyone have a Chromebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My folks sent us their Samsung Chromebook that they never use and I was playing with it last night; I love that little machine. It's obviously a very light-weight "laptop", good only for internet-based work, but with Microsoft's excellent web versions of its Office applications accessible via SkyDrive, you can do real work on this $249 computer. Netflix streams beautifully on it. And it's all on an ARM-type processor with no fans. The thing runs in complete silence. I'm quite surprised at how much I like this little thing. ZDnet review here:

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-chromebook-best-249-you-can-spend-review-7000016148/

As the review said, the keyboard is fantastic. I can type as fast on that as I can on anything. I think the screen is bright enough, but it has a very anti-glare "matte" finish to it that is maybe a little too "anti-glare" (and thus it loses a bit of clarity). Though Google certainly hopes users will use this to further make use of their Google/Gmail accounts, there are "apps" (which are really just shortcuts to the websites) for Microsoft SkyDrive and Outlook, so it's but a click and I'm into either of those services sending email or editing a Word document or a spreadsheet. It has a YouTube "app" (again, just a hotlink) and it plays YouTube videos in HD just fine.

Interesting little machine, this. I've just played with it for a day, but I've grown quite fond of it.

I've seen these in Walmart. I've often wondered how well it works. I utilize Google gmail, chrome, etc., so I wouldn't think the "switch" would be too different for me. Thanks for your insight.

I had thought about getting one some time back, but I plan to self-publish a book in the very near future and will probably buy a Kindle (just so that I can confirm the formatting is correct).

However, those Chromebooks make some really nice, cheap machines and are fast with the tools that are available. Heck, I may buy one anyway
cheers3.gif

I have one for when I travel, and for use around the house - it's a great little machine. Battery life is great, keyboard and touch pad are really nice, and there are a ton of extensions for the Chrome browser. There isn't much that I need to go back to my PC for.

As far as the Samsung XE303C12 specifically, I think the resolution could be a little better (or something done about that matte finish), and I am not a fan of the USB ports being located on the back.

There are other models, and I believe a new generation coming out this fall, some with larger screens and different options. One big thing is that most new ones will charge with micro USB, eliminating the need to pack a specific charger when traveling.

I scored one of the original ones when Google was giving them away a few years ago. Neat concept but the trackpad on it sucked. It was OK if you always had net access and the free data was cool too but ultimately I sold it and got an iPad.

Lack of real apps drove me away. I put Linux on it and it worked OK but that trackpad killed me.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: dparm
What's the battery life like?

It's about 6-8 hours, depending on use.

That's actually pretty good. Might be a nice toy for watching movies on planes or something to that effect.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's about 6-8 hours, depending on use.

That's actually pretty good. Might be a nice toy for watching movies on planes or something to that effect.

It's okay for what it is. The battery is completely internal. You can of course replace it with some disassembly, but it's not designed to be hot-swapped like that. As such, it's got to fit within the relatively small physical envelope of the computer. And it's incredibly thin.

It's not as technically impressive as something like the MacBook Air (which fits more technology and performance in a similar footprint), but you also don't have ANY concerns with hardware cooling, which has long been a concern of users of some Apple hardware. It also costs a quarter of what a MBA costs. Different machines for different uses to be sure, but I find the Chromebook highly compelling after using one for just a few hours.

^Why would the thermals be any different? Much lower spec parts than the MBA?

Ive not had an issue with thermal on my MBA despite some fairly aggressive mathematical operations.

Does sound like a good thing to travel with.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
^Why would the thermals be any different? Much lower spec parts than the MBA?

Oh, absolutely! You're talking about a $249 computer here vs. one that costs upwards of a grand. The Chromebook uses an ARM processor. It's a 1.7 GHz dual core A15, but it's still not a desktop-class processor. Similar to any Android or Apple tablet. There is just a heat sink in the case, no fans, no vents, nothing like that. Think of it like a laptop case with tablet internals, or a tablet with a keyboard on a piano hinge.

The MBA comes with desktop-class processors...Intel Core i5 and i7. Those types of processors generate big heat and need to be actively cooled.

Here are some ifixit.com teardowns that demonstrate the difference.

Samsung Chromebook

MacBook Air

Comparing an ARM processor to an Intel i5 is a bit like comparing a squirrel to a wolf. Each excels in a different way. Both are making efforts to encroach on the other's territory.

The Chromebooks look nice. For a consumption device, they may be the perfect laptop.

For those wanting more, I suggest installing a Linux distro on a 1-2 year old laptop.

I've been trying to justify a Chromebook, but non longer can.

Here's TnS list of "reasons why to not buy a Chromebook" (suitable for framing:) )

-- you can buy a 3rd gen Intel Celeron (Ivy Bridge) laptop for around $249 this week with Windows 8. (Dunno why Intel keeps the Celeron label, the Ivy Bridge version of the Celeron has respectable performance. When Will Intel get a clue?
21.gif
) If you don't like Windows 8, put a Linux distro on it. This gives you the best of both worlds....Google Chrome on it and a full desktop experience and around 6 hours of battery life on certain 'bottom-feeder' laptops.

-- if the laptop route isn't your thing but prefer a tablet: Google Nexus 16GB is around $229, add a cheap Blue Tooth keyboard, you're all set. Samsung sells these in a set often times with a special price. The latest versions, all under $300, are quick, have good battery life, have great screens and give you the apps and simple consumption-like experience for cheap.

-- $329 for AMD quad-core A6 laptops are hitting the shelves this month. These all have excellent consumer graphics to play games at medium levels, Roblox, Minecraft, etc all work great on them. I expect to see even better deals on these later in November with all the seasonal fire sales.

-- refurbished laptops can be had for around $250. Decent ones! Check out NewEgg for Dell E6400 models, they come with Win7 and will last for years to come. If you don't like Windows, put Linux on it. Done.

-- 5 year old Mac laptops. Yes, the late 2008 models or newer can be had for around $250-$300 on Craigslist/Ebay. You'll get the Mac experience without the high price tag. My 5yo Macbook won't run anything newer than OS X 10.7, but that doesn't matter for most people as they just want to get on the internet, play games, check email, etc. Runs great. If you want it to scream, spend the $90 on a 128GB SSD drive. Amazingly fast for being 5 years old.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

-- 5 year old Mac laptops. Yes, the late 2008 models or newer can be had for around $250-$300 on Craigslist/Ebay. You'll get the Mac experience without the high price tag. My 5yo Macbook won't run anything newer than OS X 10.7, but that doesn't matter for most people as they just want to get on the internet, play games, check email, etc. Runs great. If you want it to scream, spend the $90 on a 128GB SSD drive. Amazingly fast for being 5 years old.

+1. Really works well, and Ill be putting 10.9 on this 2008 MBP soon. SSD works perfect, its quiet, fast and battery still works fine. Not retina display, but neither are any ofthe $2-300 laptops that anyone else would buy.

Despite age and "common sense" concept that it is old or incapable, it runs W7 AND Mac flawlessly at the same time, and has been fully useful to allow me to do some complex molecular simulations and complete a full science and engineering - based (not just text and regurgitating some other previous literature) PhD dissertation.

Cant beat for as old as it is.

Only reason I have to stop using it is that my 36MP DSLR files are hard to handle without USB 3.0 and a LOT more HDD space.

how is the chromebook OS at virus protection? I'm really sick of window viruses. Macs are nice but pricey. Linux, my wife would not use it. she's an avid chrome and gmail user though. i'm thinking chromebook would be the perfect device for her. Her laptop is on it's second virus in less than six months, really time consuming for me to deal with it.

Chromebooks advertise themselves as having "built-in virus protection". I don't know if that means they have an active anti-virus agent built-in, or if that means that there simply aren't any/many viruses written that infect Chromebooks.

She probably would like a Chromebook. The simplicity of this thing is amazing. I used it for about three hours last night on my lap. Unlike a laptop with cooling vents and cooling fans, you don't have to worry about whether a fan vent is blocked. There are no vents! It simply stays cool.

Plus, Google offers free "offline" versions of the Gmail and Drive apps for it. These presumably synchronize with the Google server when connected, but if offline, she could still work with the documents locally on the flash storage (essentially, the SSD), and then they'd get synchronized/email sent the next time the 'Book is connected to the internet.

I do not, by the way, see the value in buying an Intel-powered Chromebook. As TnS notes above, if you're buying an Intel Celeron- or Atom-powered Chromebook, you might as well buy a full laptop; you're going to pay the same price. The appeal of an ARM-based Chromebook to me is absolutely no moving parts inside. No fans to maintain, no vents to potentially block. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
-- if the laptop route isn't your thing but prefer a tablet: Google Nexus 16GB is around $229, add a cheap Blue Tooth keyboard, you're all set...

I agree with the concept. We also have this setup: we have an iPad with a cheap Bluetooth keyboard. And if you're ever used a cheap Bluetooth keyboard, it feels like you're using...a cheap Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard on at least Samsung's Series 3 Chromebook is the equal of the best keyboard I've ever used, which is either the aluminum iMac keyboard or the one on the 2012 MacBook Pro my dad used to have. I can type for hours on the Chrombook's keyboard (and did last night) with no fatigue and very little error. I find cheap Bluetooth keyboards frustrating to use (and then you have to deal with batteries...).

And tablet size keyboards arent full size, so not very good/ergonomic to type with IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back