Anyone Ever Had A lithium Wafer Battery Leak ??

I'm talking about the CR 2032 and similar types used in all kinds of illuminated red dot sights and scope reticles. I've have many scopes and various sights that require these, and while I've never had one leak on me, I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem?

I have several that are 5 years +, and still work fine. About 8 months ago I bought a 72 pack of Ray-O-Vac AA Alkaline batteries at Lowe's, and over half of them are leaking in the box! I ended up tossing them all.

From now on I only buy Duracell Alkaline batteries. But I've never had any kind of Lithium battery leak on me...... YET.

I had one leak that was outside in my grandfather wireless temperature sensor. It was outside, winter / summer, and was rusted to the point it delaminated and just was a fuzzy green / blue wafer.

I'm guessing that 72 AA's weren't cheap.. Yeah, I remember having Ray-O-Vac batteries leak in my flashlight when I was a kid.

Grandfather only bought duracel and enegizer brands, he was VERY particular about his batteries and electronics being and electrical tech..

No, but I had a (2) AA LED Maglite that one of the batteries leaked and swelled up. I tried every way to remove that battery. I had to throw the flashlight away. :(

From now on I only buy Duracell Alkaline batteries. But I've never had any kind of Lithium battery leak on me...... YET.

Duracell alkaline batteries are probably the worst for leaking. Ive had so much stuff ruined from duracell batteries leaking you couldn't give me a free life time supply of them. All my expensive tools get Energizer ultimate lithium batteries.

Duracell alkaline batteries are probably the worst for leaking. Ive had so much stuff ruined from duracell batteries leaking you couldn't give me a free life time supply of them. All my expensive tools get Energizer ultimate lithium batteries.
I left 4 Duracell Alkaline's in an old Canon Power Winder for my A-1, 35 MM film camera, and forgot about them for almost 20 years. They swelled slightly, but none of them leaked. They came right out.

They didn't have Lithium AA's back in the 80's. If they did, I never saw them. Now they're pretty much everywhere.

I have never seen any "button" style battery leak, regardless of their size. Now AAA, AA, etc batteries are a whole different story.

Could be most "button" style batteries are Lithium, which is much less likely to leak than Alkaline like most AA batteries are. Lithium AA batteries are also much less likely to leak than Alkaline.

I'm talking about the CR 2032 and similar types used in all kinds of illuminated red dot sights and scope reticles. I've have many scopes and various sights that require these, and while I've never had one leak on me, I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem?

I have several that are 5 years +, and still work fine. About 8 months ago I bought a 72 pack of Ray-O-Vac AA Alkaline batteries at Lowe's, and over half of them are leaking in the box! I ended up tossing them all.

Interesting topic . never had or seen one leak

I've never had any time of lithium cell leak. Ever.

On the other hand, there are two types of alkaline batteries. Those that are currently leaking, and those that will one day leak.

I have never seen any "button" style battery leak, regardless of their size. Now AAA, AA, etc batteries are a whole different story.
You likely won't, the chemistry is different and with the alkaline batteries they produce hydrogen during discharge which puts internal pressure on the can. It's almost inevitable those will eventually leak especially when discharged.

Back