anyone able to translate latin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody good with latin? Long story short I have a friend who lives in France, his grandmother lives in a 13th century french house, a care home that until recently nobody was allowed in the basement/ tunnels underneath due to lead. Well, they let them in now after it's apparently "safe" and his grandmother found this engraved in the rock on a wall. It would have been there for many centuries and neither him nor I know any latin. At least, I think it's latin. According to what she told him, it was engraved next to a etching of a shield with a cross on it.

miles militis templum instituo vrcus sententia is eram ultra agnitio meus senior illic instituo locus of nica indu aula of adnales est quod supe ut valde quod ut harenas pharos reliquerunt unde fecit non reverto admiralquod sire damocles duodeviginti puto insula oak habitum clavis vero quidam trinus ut atrum silva pro iam est impossibilis quod suus maiestas habet prohibeo homines ex

vexillum suus traba ex eruptio quod ligatio sui anticuus jory si vos reperio is nuntius precor dico mihi quis efficio tunc u teneo non reperio mihi procul tabellae tumulosus ero per ceterus de ordo de nonus nos mos caput capitis occasus ut romano tunc mensis ultimum non ut sub romano

atla depressas tua clavis abscondit

maius vos ingredior indu suus steps.

pauperes commilitones christi templique solomonici

SIGILLVM.MILITVM

Last edited:
soldiers thought this was beyond recognition vrcus temple found there found my old place of bustling area of nica RECORDS is about as much as he did not return to the sands left Pharos admiralquod Damocles' or eight I think the key to a trip to the island OAK dress black forest for now it is impossible that his majesty has to prevent people from company's table of eruption that tying his CLASSIC jory if you find this message, I pray tell me what to do then u know I can not find me at the table with the rest of the hill will be the order of the ninth, we will head to the west and then the last month may not be under the Roman company's table of eruption that tying his CLASSIC jory if you find this message, I pray tell me what to do then u know I can not find me at the table with the rest of the hill will be the order of the ninth, we will head to the west and then the last month may not be under the Roman

Atlas sunken hide your nails

more you go put her steps.

poor fellow soldiers of [censored] temple solomonici

Last edited:
Google is your friend...

this is what I got;

soldiers thought this was beyond recognition vrcus temple found there found my old place of bustling area of nica RECORDS is about as much as he did not return to the sands left Pharos admiralquod Damocles' or eight I think the key to a trip to the island OAK dress black forest for now it is impossible that his majesty has to prevent people from

company's table of eruption that tying his CLASSIC jory if you find this message, I pray tell me what to do then u know I can not find me at the table with the rest of the hill will be the order of the ninth, we will head to the west and then the last month may not be under the Roman

Atlas sunken hide your nails

more you go put her steps.

poor fellow soldiers of [censored] temple solomonici

SIGILLVM.MILITVM

You need to find someone who can read Latin, I think I might know someone if I get a chance I'll pass it along.

Stuff like this interests me to no end, I'd fly right over their and research it. Could be a fun trip!

Incredible find, I'd be very interested in what it says.

I can inquire with my dad to see if one of his colleagues reads latin if that would help?

Finally talked to my medievalist friend - he didn't have the time to translate word for word in writing, but it is a pledge of the Knights Templar (as Clevy posits). A person would take the pledge to support the soldiers of the Crusades.

Try finding someone who went to a catholic high school. They were teaching latin when I was in high school. (I took spanish).

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
If you say so. I'm sure the OP would appreciate your full translation as that is what he asked.

Translations were given already.
Read.

I did. Did you? slightly different versions. But, like I say, if you are comfortable in your knowledge/understanding of the content then peace be with you. I was simply passing along my friends educated interpretation of the Latin text as presented by the OP.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
I did. Did you? slightly different versions. But, like I say, if you are comfortable in your knowledge/understanding of the content then peace be with you. I was simply passing along my friends educated interpretation of the Latin text as presented by the OP.

All the versions agree with my synopsis.
I never said they were letter for letter verbatim, as they are translations with room for expression.
Unless all the words are changed, I think my conclusion is correct.
There is too much there that could never have anything to do with a pledge.
Get off your pretentious high horse.

My attempt is a rough translation because my experience is mostly in Classical (Roman) Latin, not the Latin of medieval times. Nick (the original poster), I would really appreciate a photograph if you can find one.

This text appears to be a missive of the Knights Templar, written between 1150 and 1400, possibly in connection with the Crusades, in Vulgar Latin.

>miles militis templum instituo vrcus sententia is eram ultra agnitio meus senior illic instituo locus of nica indu aula of adnales est quod supe ut valde quod ut harenas pharos reliquerunt unde fecit non reverto admiralquod sire damocles duodeviginti puto insula oak habitum clavis vero quidam trinus ut atrum silva pro iam est impossibilis quod suus maiestas habet prohibeo homines ex

The captain of the soldiers found a temple, this place that was found seemed old beyond recognition,

In the great court of records, [note that this temple] is vastly superior to that of the Pharaohs,

[The soldiers] left the desert sands, from which the high commander bade them not return, like Damocles, [note: Damocles was a mythic king who was massively rich but unhappy due to paranoia]

I believe eighteen soldiers, with an enterprising spirit, made a determined trip through the black forest [to that place]

[Considering] that now it is impossible to prevent his majesty's men [from going there of their own accord]

>vexillum suus traba ex eruptio quod ligatio sui anticuus jory si vos reperio is nuntius precor dico mihi quis efficio tunc u teneo non reperio mihi procul tabellae tumulosus ero per ceterus de ordo de nonus nos mos caput capitis occasus ut romano tunc mensis ultimum non ut sub romano

The battle standard [banner] of our company, this I bound to our great mission,

If you [plural] receive this message, I pray you tell me whatever you know that I have not found myself at the tablets of the hills,

By the order of the ninth head commander of Western Rome,
At the last time of the month, we will be at the [objective] not yet under Roman control.

>atla depressas tua clavis abscondit

Great efforts will give you the key,

>maius vos ingredior indu suus steps.

May you [plural] walk on the path with greater stride.

>pauperes commilitones christi templique solomonici

Poor Fellowmen of [censored] and of the Temple of Solomon [Knights Templar]

>SIGILLVM.MILITVM

MILTARY SEAL

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Try finding someone who went to a catholic high school.

Yep. Another option, especially in France, would be to find a Catholic priest, particularly an old one, probably the older teh better.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back