Anybody use CarShield?

Had them both 6yrs and put about 100k miles combined.Never done anything but batteries, a set of tires and a little caliper maintenance outside of oil and filters on 2, Camrys. If anything needs to be done, I'll at least look into fixing it myself as I that is what I do with anything that breaks . I'm not a Toyota fanboy. About the only thing Camry's are superlative in is their lack of necessary stuff to fix. Outside of that, meh :cool:

Last edited:
I have heard through the good old internet so take this with a grain of salt that CarShield is bad and refuses to pay for repairs.

Something that I would consider is what vehicle do you have to begin with, is it known to be a reliable vehicle, consider how much you will pay through one of these protection plans vs just paying out of pocket. Now obviously paying out of pocket sucks when you don't have the money available so that is also a consideration but also consider putting the money aside each month that you would for a protection plan into an account just for auto repairs.

Do you think you'll be breaking enough covered parts on your cars after your warranty to justify the $1100+/year per car vs you just saving the money yourself?

I'm assuming they'll go for a refurb part instead of a new. If the engine in your impreza blows, do they even make any new EJ25 engines or are you okay going with a refurb of unknown quality?
The first time I EVER got an extended warranty on anything was the 2007 335i. People said it’s a slam dunk. Twin turbo? Water pump? It will pay for itself many times over at $2800. It paid for nada. Zippo. Zilch. Bupkis. Goose egg. And at the time, the 8 cyl M3 was $6700. 12 years ago. So I should feel amazed that my car has been reliable since 12/06. 😂

Just listen to Doug demuro and he’ll say the without coverage on the Range would have been $19,000 so best to get it

The first time I EVER got an extended warranty on anything was the 2007 335i. People said it’s a slam dunk. Twin turbo? Water pump? It will pay for itself many times over at $2800. It paid for nada. Zippo. Zilch. Bupkis. Goose egg. And at the time, the 8 cyl M3 was $6700. 12 years ago. So I should feel amazed that my car has been reliable since 12/06. 😂

Just listen to Doug demuro and he’ll say the without coverage on the Range would have been $19,000 so best to get it

I believe Doug had a Carmax warranty which from what I've heard is pretty reputable. Not sure I'd trust CarShield, but I haven't done much research into them.

Personally I think these plans are bad. Having said that my life, my skills and resources I have make them a bad investment for me. I do most of my own work outside of warranty stuff and I know several competent mechanics.
BUT..... I am not everyone and this is still (for the time being) a free country. If youre smart enough to ask the question then youre likely weighing the plusses and minuses for your unique circumstances. If you think it make sense for you and it offers you some peace of mind then I say go for it.

From what I remember (and you can take this with a big grain of salt)

You pretty much get an unreasonable maintenance schedule that is difficult to prove unless you go to one dealer every 3000 miles to have documentation that you are complying to their maintenance schedule.

Almost everything imaginable is on the schedule, if you claim you did the work yourself good luck as it’s a likely denial.

You follow their terms to the letter usually they will pay.

If you maintain your car like it’s the 1950’s and understand that they may also require you to replace parts and pay for said parts out of pocket as maintenance/ wear items that are nonsensical, have at it.

You will go bankrupt doing unnecessary things they consider maintenance but then they might pay for a transmission or motor but things that aren’t wear parts they might consider wear parts you are responsible for.

Sucks but unless the warranty is directly from Ford (aka the vehicle manufacturer) it’s a waste of time and money to jump through hoops to potentially get an item covered under the warranty

Just spoke with a service manager at our local Jaguar/Land Rover dealership.

Here is how Car Shield works:

JLR parts cost: $800. Car Shield pays $300 because they can get a Chinese copy for that.

JLR service time: 3.8 hours at $200. Car Shield pays 1.8 hours at $135. Because that’s “what we show the repair should take”.

So, after paying $3,500/year for Car Shield, the customer shows up, gets a $2,000 estimate, and says, “I have Car Shield! This is covered”

But after talking to Car Shield, the reality sets in…that this poor customer is left paying the deductible, and the difference.

And that $2,000 repair is STILL $1,500 because Car Shield won’t pay all of the actual costs.

So, if you think it’s still a good idea, I can’t help you…

Geico has plans that cover mechanical breakdowns. If you buy the car new.

I looked into one of the policies when I got a flyer from local credit union. It did not look like it would cover the exhaust on my PSD. All the issues so far on PSD beyond normal maint are exhaust or a related emission system (like DEF).

Just spoke with a service manager at our local Jaguar/Land Rover dealership.

Here is how Car Shield works:

JLR parts cost: $800. Car Shield pays $300 because they can get a Chinese copy for that.

JLR service time: 3.8 hours at $200. Car Shield pays 1.8 hours at $135. Because that’s “what we show the repair should take”.

So, after paying $3,500/year for Car Shield, the customer shows up, gets a $2,000 estimate, and says, “I have Car Shield! This is covered”

But after talking to Car Shield, the reality sets in…that this poor customer is left paying the deductible, and the difference.

And that $2,000 repair is STILL $1,500 because Car Shield won’t pay all of the actual costs.

So, if you think it’s still a good idea, I can’t help you…
That's why I was asking feedback before I pulled the trigger. Listening to real-world experiences is waaaay faster than reading the terms of service (y)

That's why I was asking feedback before I pulled the trigger. Listening to real-world experiences is waaaay faster than reading the terms of service (y)
Good, then, I’m glad we helped inform your decision. It really was serendipitous this morning, I was working in my shop when my next-door neighbor came over with his buddy, who is one of the service managers.

I asked him directly about car shield. I got a 15 minute diatribe on how horrible it is for the consumer - figured I would share.

They are one of the companies where we tell the customer that they can pay for the repair and seek reimbursement from the Disney branded warranty company on their own. Plus not to mention they keep writers on hold for literally hours at a time while they call for approval.

We had a customer with either CarShield or one of the clones that needed a water pump on an Explorer, surprise I know. They only paid .2 because they found some labor op for just doing a water pump after having all the timing chains off so that was all the job should need. Declined all the one time use parts and gaskets and said we should re-use the coolant and timing cover RTV.

DO NOT USE CAR SHIELD!! I know this question was posted last year, but I’m posting warnings all any and all forums I find. I have paid over $1400 to car shield for my monthly payments. I now have an engine that needs replaced and they want to run all these diagnostics on my car, but I have to pay for them. And if they don’t approve my engine replacement, I’m responsible for the diagnostics. WHY!? I don’t want them, my mechanic is who I trust. Then, I wanted to speak to the adjuster and I wasn’t “allowed” to unless I was with my mechanic. And, they wouldn’t tell me if the adjusters were certified mechanics. ***!? So, I’m done with them. I have to cut my losses, but I’m going to at least try to warn as many people as possible.

I made it a life mission to learn and work on my own vehicles so I can avoid being fleeced by others. It happens to be fun too and saves boatloads of money. I would encourage everyone (if you are able) to do so as well.

I also have the opinion that if you cant afford or know someone who can repair the vehicle, you probably shouldnt have bought one in the first place. Common sense folks. Walk or ride a bicycle instead. Move downtown where you dont need a car. Change your life. Dont be controlled by others. Is it easy for me to say these things? No. I spent years learning and still am. Carshield can stuff it.

Back