Anybody else terrible at home repairs?

I'm the opposite, I can't help but do almost everything around the house and my cars. It's an illness that sometimes I catch myself in the middle of a project saying to myself "just hire someone dummy". Awhile back I cough myself contemplating installing a leach field myself. I hired it out.

I'm terrible at completing them. I am able to just fine but do not enjoy it. Worked construction for years and I am over it. I still do home repairs once I get a expensive quote and that motivates me

Carpentry of one form or another kept me going in my younger days. My 150 yr old house should have been bulldozed. Rather than replaced stick by stick as I've been doing since 1978
grin2.gif

Big brother knocking on your door after installing a cheap pool is quite interesting.

I wonder how they found out given how secluded you are.

Originally Posted by andyd
Carpentry of one form or another kept me going in my younger days. My 150 yr old house should have been bulldozed. Rather than replaced stick by stick as I've been doing since 1978
grin2.gif

Oh no. I'm going to turn into you! Lol.

Our house was built in 1900. We both love it, but it needs help. All stuff I can hopefully do myself though so that's nice.. stick by stick. Lol

Don't feel bad I had a task of putting up two ceiling fans in our new house.

First one took 2 hours to do. Took me about 90 minutes to figure out I couldn't use the downrod with the kind of ceiling box I had. Ended up doing the second one in 30 minutes learning from my mistakes.

Originally Posted by andyd
I do alright. Research is easy these days. The main thing in house exteriors is to lead water out and down.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Terrible at home repairs? No.
Do they take 2-5x longer than they should? Yes (car work too). Maybe I'm too careful or something.

These two comments pretty much sum it up for me.

I am over blessed to live in a county with no inspections other than septic. I can even install my septic but it will require before and after inspections as well as a soil analysis. I will be doing all of the plumbing and electrical in my new house.

Big brother is watching. That image came from a satellite that flies over your house every day. Any changes to previous images are flagged and ultimately investigated. Is that your pool lower right?
Yes it is next to my garage. Pool is no longer a problem as the squirrels ate through the liner to get to the water lol

40 amp box for your house? I’ve never heard of such a small box. 100 amp I’ve seen but those quickly got upgraded to 200.

Sounds like you have lots of busybody inspectors in California? Doesn’t surprise me.

I don’t do home repairs usually I don’t have the tools or anything usually because my tools are for mechanic work only not home repairs so I usually don’t do it unless we have different tools for me to do it with lol

Reread this thread because I forgot what it was about. I’m surprised to see so many people chime in on how it was a bad idea for him to get a pool while the house needs repairs.

You guys must either have miserable wives or aren’t married.

* We’re thinking about getting a cheap pool here too. We ended up getting the pond dredged and de-cattailed.. The idea was to swim in it, which I have, but when there’s leeches the size of small eels, we will pass for the time being. I’m going to get some muck eating bacteria next year. We ended up buying some predatory fish, but the leeches are bigger than they are.

Last edited:
Yes it is next to my garage. Pool is no longer a problem as the squirrels ate through the liner to get to the water lol
Yes, you were definitely spotted by the dreaded Eye in the sky. Municipalities everywhere are scratching for every dollar they can find and unpaid installation and permit fees for unreported swimming pools is a big source of revenue. And you can’t hide behind the 4th amendment. See California vs Ciraolo.

Back