Anybody else do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pull it on to the ramps and let is drain overnight. This does seem to get another 4 ounces or so, not much. Filter is a lot easier in the morning. Can't see pouring in $4/quart oil until it clears from drain though. Seems that would primarily affect the pan and nothing else. Old oil still pooled in many places in engine.

As noted we are all performing overkill and need psychological help.

Sorry guys, I had no idea what my starting this tread would reveal about us all. They could be coming to get us at any time!!
banghead.gif
Actually, I just tell passers by that I'm reinflating my motor.
grin.gif

[ September 05, 2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: ShootingStar ]

Patman, I'm remembering the dran plug on the LS1 to be on the front left corner of the pan. So, lifting the front would put oil in the rear of the pan which would never drain. I may be wrong on this as it doesn't get drivin nearly as much now that we have a kid, but I know one (Firebird, Expedition, or Yukon) of our cars has the drain plug on the front. Come to think of it, it was probably the Expedition. I thought it was pretty stupid to put it there.

Chris, I can't remember exactly the location of the plug, but I definitely do remember that my method was a better angle for the oil to drain. It's been so long since I had that LS1 Formula, I sure miss it!
frown.gif

Just changed my oil today after replacing coolant and cooling hoses.

Used fresh Castrol GTX after draining to help clear out the old oil. Ran the engine for a couple of minutes, drained and filled up with M1. I think I may make a habit of it.

On the second drain I saw dirty oil until the last half quart or so of drain. Maybe it came out of the filter that had not been changed yet.

On my new Camaro SS the drain plug is on the left side of the oil pan. It's pretty much a straight line over from the driver's side wheel. The plug is located towards the back of the pan so if the front was up higher almost all the oil would come out of the drain hole.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:

By "blowing" the oil off of internal parts are you reducing the amount of oil on your moving parts for the startup soon after?

I don't think I'm blowing the oil off of the internal parts as much as blowing the pooled oil out of the low lying passages of the engine. By pouring oil in from the top and letting it drain down, I would think you're relubricating things well enough to protect until the pump can evenly distribute the new oil. Maybe I should just switch to Z-Max or one those other miracle additives I see in the infomercials. Those guys can run the engine for HOURS with NO OIL at all!
lol.gif

[ September 05, 2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: ShootingStar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
When I change the oil in my wife's car, I let it drain for 2 hours, and by the time I go back out to put in the drain plug, it has totally stopped dripping by then. That's when I pour in a little bit of fresh oil, then wait a few more minutes and button things back up.

When I lived with my parents and could park the cars on the curb without worrying about tickets, I used to let the oil in my 98 Formula drain for about 90min. I once measured how much more dirty oil came out between the 5min mark and the 90min mark, and it was 4 more ounces!! Most fast lube places don't even let the oil drain out for 5min either! (I timed the GM dealer when I got my oil change done there and it was only 3min that they let it drain)

How about filling up with 3-4 quarts of fresh cheapo oil before changing the oil filter (or after) then draining a second time?

That might be better at eliminating almost all of the old oil.

The cost would be about $5 though.

On every oil change we do we put the air hose where the new oil will go and blow out everything left. Quite a bit of oil flies out. Since the new oil goes through the same opening, I believe it re-lubricates anything that might have been dried. Aside from leaving cleaner oil in the engine, it's an extra 1/4 to 1/2 liter sold.
The big Cat and Waukeshau engines have access plates you can remove and sponge out the residual as well as get a good look at whatever is lying there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back