Any way to "glue" silicone rubber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pair of soundcore bluetooth earbuds that I really like. That is, except for one thing - they have "wings" that wrap around the outside and assist with comfort and fit. Just like the various "tips" included fot a good fit, it came with 3 pairs of wings (S, M, L). The wings connect like wrapping a rubber band around the hard plastic shell and have one small indentation for a matching post. However, the wings can (and do) come off when removing them from the ears. I lost one and have purchased new replacements.

Since I know which size works, I'd like to install them more securely. The issue is that the rubber is described as "silicone". The case/shell is hard plastic, like acrylic or similar.

Any suggestions as to what might work? Would a silicone cement (like aquarium sealant) stick?
Screenshot_2023-01-20_11-32-17.jpg

I'd try black, sensor-safe, silicone RTV. It might still come loose eventually because a lot of silicone parts have silicone oil loss over time, noticeable when they get sticky/slippery/slimy. It's not just ear wax. :)

I'd try black, sensor-safe, silicone RTV. It might still come loose eventually because a lot of silicone parts have silicone oil loss over time, noticeable when they get sticky/slippery/slimy. It's not just ear wax. :)
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that the culprit with these is the oils from ear along with lacking design allows them to slide off. I'm planning to clean the wings & shell with alcohol before applying an adhesive (then hope for the best).

Superglue will work. Another product which IS NOT a CA glue, is Plastex. It works like superglue and baking powder, but using (I believe) a polyethylene/polypropylene powder and thin liquid solvent. It sticks where others do not. It can also make small plastic parts. It is the plastic glue that works where others do not.

Interesting info. It looks like that POP is pretty expensive though. Since I have a couple of spare wings (the small size which I can't use) I'll try some experiments to see what sticks to the rubber. Thanks to those who've replied.

Here's a thought that might not work, but would be super easy and cheap to try. Clean the wings and the plastic shells with alcohol. That should remove any traces of oil and maximize the silicone's natural "tackiness."

Just a followup for any future searches:

I experimented with a few adhesives. Aquarium silicone sealant (the type that gives off acetic acid smell during cure). It sticks quite well. I haven't tried to remove it from the silicone rubber "at all costs", but I think it will accomplish the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back