Any rotator cuff repairs?

Just had my right rotator cuff repaired. Surgeon said the injury was significant, and the rehab is a 9 month process. Anyone deal with this before?

Just had my right rotator cuff repaired. Surgeon said the injury was significant, and the rehab is a 9 month process. Anyone deal with this before?
I would look into stem cell therapy for joint injuries, whether or not you had surgery done. They would harvest stem cells from your hip's bone marrow. Stem cell therapy tends to speed up the healing and recovery process considerably with excellent tissue regeneration. Figure anywhere from $2,000 to over $10,000 out of pocket because stem cell therapy is usually not covered by medical insurance.

I had my rotator cuff surgery 13 months ago to repair an 85% tear. The first 6 weeks in the arm sling 24/7 was miserable for sleeping (i.e., mostly upright in a recliner chair).

Take the prescribed painkillers for a few days if needed, but transition to Tylenol as soon as possible. Ice the shoulder often to reduce inflammation, but microwavable clay based heat packs will feel wonderful when you begin PT, probably around week 2 after surgery. Be sure to get a "tough" Physical Therapist who won't baby you through the rehabilitation process. In my case, I completed all my PT sessions after 4 months, but performed prescribed exercises for another 4 months before regaining full strength and range of motion.

The surgery did damage some nerves in the arm which took a full 12 months to "reconstruct" themselves. My shoulder and the sensation in my fingers now feel "normal" after >12 months post-surgery.

Great advice all. I will be a model patient. Doc is highly optimistic for my 100% recovery. Lots of factors in place for me. Good general health, non smoker, active weightlifter, will follow directions. Also the Doc is part of the Houston Texans surgical staff. Top notch.

That, and I percieve myself as "tougher than a $2 steak" LOL.

Last edited:
I needed both shoulders done. The Dr said the left one was the worst, but I did the right one because I am right handed. Everything mentioned in previous posts are true. I am putting off the left one until I cannot function without it. I will be 77 in a few weeks and do not want to be out of commission for 6 months again.

I have had both repaired. The last one was 100% tear as well as a bicep tear. As others have said, do your PT and listen to exactely what the doc says and you will be fine. My last one required 11 anchors and was strung together like a baseball but its perfect now.

TH

jock docs are generally best!! its amazing the recovery times for pro athletes, the best docs working in fit + strong patients getting the best physical therapy, good luck!!

I have had both repaired. The last one was 100% tear as well as a bicep tear. As others have said, do your PT and listen to exactely what the doc says and you will be fine. My last one required 11 anchors and was strung together like a baseball but its perfect now.

TH
11! Dang!

jock docs are generally best!! its amazing the recovery times for pro athletes, the best docs working in fit + strong patients getting the best physical therapy, good luck!!
The same Texans staff rebuilt my daughters ACL. It was kind off cool to see them ready on the NFL sidelines and come onto the field when a player goes down.

Back