Any long term reviews on Cooper Discoverer At3 4s?

I know Cooper tires are usually a favorite on this site and that’s all and good. I came across a local auto shop that sells Cooper and I’d like to hear some long term reviews about the Discoverer AT3 4S. I have read the reviews on Google and Tire Rack. They are mostly great but quite a few people complain that the tread life is only 30,000 miles when it’s suppose to be 65,000 miles. That is really my only concern before I tell my Dad to go ahead and buy a set for his F-150.
If you own a set of these tires I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

20 thou on my Cooper ATW's + prolly done before 30 BUT would buy again!! good performance in snow + other slippieness trumps higher mileage for me!! i drive a car for economy + use my truck as a truck. no room for complaints for those daily driving their $50 thou 4 door house for general transport!!!

~25,000 kms on my ATWs over the last 5 years strictly for winter usage and they are holding up nicely. Should be able to get another 5 out of them. The winter performance when brand new was excellent, but I have noticed it's deteriorating with time. Tread hasn't worn down too much, I think it's mostly from the compound getting harder. Will probably cycle them to be summer usage near the end of life. These are known to have a softer compound since they are marketed as a winter/AT hybrid.

I have AT3 (not 4S). Tread wear is good and I should get a good 50-60k on them, but I'm very proactive about tire pressure. I also don't tow or haul often. The initial tread depth was quite large which helps.

They are loud at highway speeds and like to flat spot if not driven regularly.

I'm on my second set of AT3s and love them. My first set I got 40k out of them. I'll keep buying them as long as they are available.

I had Discover AT3/4S tires installed July 1st.
So far I like them, but I've only driven 1,500 miles.

My local Tire Store had to order them.
Tires were made (in USA) 1 Month earlier.

I also bought a nice Digital Air Pressure Gage and check often.

It is easy to market a 30,000 miles tire as a 65,000 mile tire. All you have to do is make it hard to collect on the warranty. Since the topic is winter tires I don’t know anyone who will wear them down the wear bars at 2/32” if you value your life, just to meet warranty requirement, so there is no collecting on that so called 65,000 mile warranty. If you are going to chance it and wear them down to the nubs, to make a warranty claim, better hope for dry weather.

There is nothing about membership here that turns people into geniuses either. On the contrary there are plenty of scoffers. I pay attention and do give credence to long term reviews by actual owners who got less than half the advertised mileage on a set of tires. Especially when there are a lot of people saying the same thing.

I know Cooper tires are usually a favorite on this site and that’s all and good. I came across a local auto shop that sells Cooper and I’d like to hear some long term reviews about the Discoverer AT3 4S. I have read the reviews on Google and Tire Rack. They are mostly great but quite a few people complain that the tread life is only 30,000 miles when it’s suppose to be 65,000 miles. That is really my only concern before I tell my Dad to go ahead and buy a set for his F-150.
If you own a set of these tires I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
The AT3 4S is a full-on Mountain Snowflake winter tire. They are made to be taken off in the spring and put on in the late fall. So is the AT/W. I suspect the AT3 4S replaces the AT/W? So, are folks running them year round and complaining they wear out? How long has this tire been out there and how did they get 30,000 miles on them unless they drove them year round? Also there are at least 3 types of Cooper AT3 tires out there.

Here is a shot of my AT/W after two winter seasons of about 5,000 miles each. By the way, the sipes are full depth whichI I confirmed with a stick pin.

C6C29C70-1198-4887-B5BE-4FA4A2D7E95A.jpeg

Last edited:
I also have regular, non 4S AT3's.

I upsized to E rated 275/70R18's on my 3" lifted F150 and have just over 35,000 miles on them. They have about 5-6/32nds of tread on them, which is pretty good IMO. I tow often, pulling a 26' camper, hauling the ATV's up North or my Jeep to the trail. I also burn wood and haul firewood often as well. Never an issue and the sidewall has been tough enough to handle tree slash and rocks and have been excellent in snow and rain. Again, not a 4S, but still a Coop and any review helps.

The AT3 4S is a full-on Mountain Snowflake winter tire. They are made to be taken off in the spring and put on in the late fall. So is the AT/W. I suspect the AT3 4S replaces the AT/W? So, are folks running them year round and complaining they wear out? How long has this tire been out there and how did they get 30,000 miles on them unless they drove them year round? Also there are at least 3 types of Cooper AT3 tires out there.

Here is a shot of my AT/W after two winter seasons of about 5,000 miles each. By the way, the sipes are full depth whichI I confirmed with a stick pin.

View attachment 32408

If that is true, full on winter tire, they why do they not sell the regular AT3 any more? It’s not listed on Tire Rack or Coopers website any more. Also, it’s listed as an All Season

Attachments

• 3F27B892-4DE3-413A-BBBA-5B45C206009A.png
    3F27B892-4DE3-413A-BBBA-5B45C206009A.png
    297.9 KB · Views: 21
Don't assume every vehicle owner who writes a review knows:

1. how to purchase the correct tires
2. how to maintain those tires and use them as rated

If anything, we know that its likely the opposite of those two.
That’s what I am thinking. There are also many have have gotten the full mileage out of the AT3 4s. I’d say it’s 50/50 of people that actually speak of mileage

Cooper Tire also makes tires under Canadian Tire’s Motomaster brand name, so there is a tight relationship that perhaps keeps them marketing the other AT3s in Canada but not the USA.

Last edited:
Anyway, the question is, how is a mountain snowflake tire considered 4 season? It typically has a softer compound for temps below 45 f. If you drive that year round I could imagine it will wear out faster. I guess if you had a durometer you could check the hardness of the rubber.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying about the 3 peak symbol and being a “winter tire”. Digging deeper on Tire Rack they have a category for All Season with 3 peak snow service that has 28 tires listed in my size. Also, they have Winter with 3 peak snow service with 10 tires. There is a difference.

Attachments

• C4429BD1-1CD7-4376-95D1-5EB6D765B545.png
    C4429BD1-1CD7-4376-95D1-5EB6D765B545.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 23
Back