Any leaf spring experts?

Our 05 RV on a 04 Chevy Express 3500 is coming up on 20 years old and almost 100k. Over the last couple years I've noticed the trailer hitch dragging a little more. But based on pictures it doesn't any different than 10 years ago also the levelness to the front seems to be the same, unless the front is also sagging. Or maybe the roads around my neighborhood is getting compacted.

On the rear is has 11 leaf's on each side. I haven't been able to find a 11 pack for a Express but based on general spring it's at least at 4600 capable with 10 the additional flat spring might add 1250 pounds. Just guessing on this big time. Based on that should be 11700 capable, based on the weight scale there's about 9400lbs on that axle. The arch is only about 3 1/2 so not alot. The pack is fairly flat if not negative.. but the thing is it still rides pretty good with Blisteins. Rough ride is a common complaint being negative. There's about 1 1/2 to 2 inches between the bump stop and axle.

The point of this post.. I'd like to lift the RV 2 or 3 inches. Don't do any offroad but tired of worrying about all the parking lots entrances. Weldtec has a 3 inch spindle lift for the front or the 2 inch spring spacer. The debate is what to do on the rear. Would if worth be replacing the leaf springs or just put in a 2-3 inch block with the current. Looks like the Weldtec replacement spring would require the block regardless. Not very many Chevy chassis RV's have been lifted so not alot to reference. Anyone familiar with Chevy springs?

And no to air bags.. whatever I do needs to be permanent.

Understand your desire to stop dragging bottom, but not sure about the vehicle dynamics with raising your center of gravity by that much.

If possible find a spring manufacturer. St.Louis Spring is where I had Super Stock springs with 2" re-arch made for a 1969 Dodge Charger.
Was going to say the same thing.

Had a made-to-order set of leaf springs done up for my 1970 Fairlane Wagon when the original set started to sag.

They cost more than I had paid for the car, but fit and worked perfectly. Huge improvement over the blown out set.

Definitely don’t use blocks. Check out deaver suspension. They can make you custom leaf springs based on your needs.

I only recommend them because I know a few people who got them made for their off-road trucks and they were happy. I’m sure you can find other companies as well. Point being, leaf springs aren’t a lost art yet.

Definitely don’t use blocks. Check out deaver suspension. They can make you custom leaf springs based on your needs.

I only recommend them because I know a few people who got them made for their off-road trucks and they were happy. I’m sure you can find other companies as well. Point being, leaf springs aren’t a lost art yet.
Atlas Spring is another So Cal shop that can make you a custom leaf pack for less $$

I’ve had good luck with leaf springs from Inland Truck Parts. You’ll have to Google them for a phone number, but talk to a live person, tell them what you want and I’ll bet they can help you.

I’ve had good luck with leaf springs from Inland Truck Parts. You’ll have to Google them for a phone number, but talk to a live person, tell them what you want and I’ll bet they can help you.
There's also a couple spring places here in the KC area. I need to make some calls and see what they can do. Hoping to find a place that can also install, I just don't have a good place to do it.

Sure seems like alot of spring places in California!

Back