Any harm in running the heater on high in this hot weather after a coolant change?

After doing a coolant flush and change, I like to drive around with the heat on high to get circulation in the heater core. Fan is on the lowest speed to make driving tolerable, but is there any chance of damaging something? Like something in the dash or air ducts that would get too hot? It's only 50° more than when it's 40° out and you turn on the heat, so maybe not an issue?

Reactions: JC1
I think the heater-coolant loop is on the engine block side if the thermostat, not the rad side.

Someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Makes sense to me. I get heat before the temp gauge is anywhere close to where its sits when up to temp.

To help prevent hot spots coolant should always be flowing in the the block, if nothing else, getting all the engine up to temp, even before the thermostat opens.

No problem, Do it. I've done that 4 times to help cool my truck down once when it was overheating in crawl slow traffic in the summer where I couldn't just shut it off. Kept the temp gauge from going beyond 210. I'd just lower the windows and point the vents away from me because i don't want to cook any more than i have to.

I think the heater-coolant loop is on the engine block side if the thermostat, not the rad side.

Someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Your right at least some of the time - Nissan VQ's are that way. I can't say they all work this way however.

1690165572393.jpg

Where is the reservoir in that diagram? I just want the new coolant that I poured in the reservoir to mix throughout the system.
Its specific to a Nissan VQ - so whether yours is the same - don't know. However the Nissan VQ has the degas bottle feeding off a T on the heater core intake - which is actually purposely designed up and down so the up part of the hose is really high - presumably to capture any air in the system and send it to the degas (overflow) bottle. The bottom of the degas bottle is connected back to the top intake of the radiator - which in the case of the VQ, the rad cap on the rad itself is not a pressure relief type. The pressure cap is actually on the degas bottle. See my red arrow towards the degas bottle:

1690168781649.jpg

How will reving it or burping it make the new coolant in the reservoir mix throughout the system that has numerous hoses and passages.
What does your coolant resevoir look like? Does it have one hose high - and one hose low? If so, then the point is the coolant/air mixture flows in from the top, in which case any bubbles are extracted, and the system pulls coolant only back in from the bottom. In theory.

How will reving it or burping it make the new coolant in the reservoir mix throughout the system that has numerous hoses and passages.

Not gonna with an overflow coolant reservoir.

Not gonna with an overflow coolant reservoir.
Coolant expands about 6% from cool to 200F. When it expands it needs to go somewhere. When the engine cools its shrinks back - meaning it needs to pull that from somewhere as well. Hence the tank - and the reason it has a hot and cold fill line.

Back