Any experience with Falken Pro G5 CSV tires?

My dad asked me for recommendations on where to take their Terrain for new tires, I immediately said Discount Tire. I have had great experiences with them so far, as have many others. I also recommended Michelins.

He went ahead and had them install 4 new ones even though the rear tires had some life left, but personally I would have done the same thing. Long story short, my mom tells me he didn't get Michelins due to cost (over $1100 installed). I asked what brand but she was unsure. I saw their vehicle tonight and noticed it had Falkens on it. From a quick internet search it appears they are the Pro G5 CSV variant as my mom told me they were 60K rated tires. I also noticed the tread wear rating was 640.

We have Falkens on our new Jetta and can't say a lot about them at this point as they are still new. Other than that, I have zero experience with Falken Tires. Do any of you have any experience with them?

Not a chance. I am a huge Falken fan, and they always seem to go the full rated mileage in my experience. It's actually my first choice of tire. They are excellent tires, and far superior to any Good Year, Kumho, Michelin, Firestone, Kelly, Mastercraft, and many others I've tried in the past. I have no experience with the high end brands like Continental and Pirelli though.

Don't get me started on how much better my current set of ZE960s are than the Uniroyal Tiger Paws (a.k.a. knobby mud tires) I have to deal with on my other car that has the exact same tire size (205/55R16). It's sad when Jeeps with mud tires pass me and my tires are making more noise.

I have no experience with the CSVs specifically, but I've never had a bad Falken, and I've owned many (my favorite being the ZE950s).

I thought that Michelin is the high end brand. Continental and Pirelli try to catch Michelin, not the other way around.

Krzyś

Not a chance. I am a huge Falken fan, and they always seem to go the full rated mileage in my experience. It's actually my first choice of tire. They are excellent tires, and far superior to any Good Year, Kumho, Michelin, Firestone, Kelly, Mastercraft, and many others I've tried in the past. I have no experience with the high end brands like Continental and Pirelli though.

Don't get me started on how much better my current set of ZE960s are than the Uniroyal Tiger Paws (a.k.a. knobby mud tires) I have to deal with on my other car that has the exact same tire size (205/55R16). It's sad when Jeeps with mud tires pass me and my tires are making more noise.

I have no experience with the CSVs specifically, but I've never had a bad Falken, and I've owned many (my favorite being the ZE950s).

Almost any tire is better than the Tiger Paw, so not really a high bar :sneaky:

I had the ZE950 on my last car. They preformed great but did not last very long. Of course, mine had the W rating ;)

This particular tire is a Discount Tire exclusive. I don't think any tire lasts as long as manufacturers claim. I doubt outside of sticklers for that type of thing, people rarely ever attempt for prorated replacement of tires if they get down to 2/32 before the warranted mileage has passed. Most times for most people it is a situation where they need to pass inspection or something and the shop says "hey, you need tires." Then they just buy tires and have totally forgotten (or don't want to spend the time and hassle) dealing with a warranty.

In the case of these Falkens if they are kept properly inflated and rotated every oil change, they will probably comfortably go 40,000 miles. Discount Tire offers free lifetime rotation and spin balancing as part of their installation, so that makes it even easier to care for the tires.

Last edited:
Almost any tire is better than the Tiger Paw, so not really a high bar :sneaky:

I had the ZE950 on my last car. They preformed great but did not last very long. Of course, mine had the W rating ;)
Glad I'm not the only Tiger Paw hater. I'd honestly rather have a pair of scum dealer cheapos like Ironman or Milestar than these Tiger Paws. I'll be driven to the point of insanity sooner rather than later and send them to a very early grave.

My ZE950s were also W rated, 235/50R18 to be exact. That set specifically went full-term. I sold that car with about 43,000 miles on the 45,000 rated tires and they still had about 4/32" left. Considering the abuse (plenty of 0-60 tests) I subjected those tires to, that set was the one that made me a Falken fan.

I believe I used the Ziex 950 A/S tire on a '98 Accord LX that I gave to a single Mother almost 2 years ago. I found these to be excellent at a very reasonable price. 100% satisfied.

I stick to Michelin, Bridgestone and Continental. Every now and then I buy Firestone (Firehawk Indy 500 which is a rebadged Bridgestone R003) or Yokohamas (Iceguard winter tire)

I stick to Michelin, Bridgestone and Continental. Every now and then I buy Firestone (Firehawk Indy 500 which is a rebadged Bridgestone R003) or Yokohamas (Iceguard winter tire)
So far for my wife and I, we have gone with Pirelli and Michelin. No complaints!

Back