Any comments on Effuel ECO OBD2 chip?

Does anyone have any experience with the EFFuel ECO OBD2 device that claims to increase your mileage? Sounds like a scam, but maybe it overrides settings? It's $40. I know nothing about what can be done via the OBD2 port, or whatever it is.
Thanks,
Mike Hartfie;d

In my personal experience, I never really got what was promised out of various plug-in performance or efficiency enhancements.

What does work are custom "tunes" a performance shop will tailor and test specifically to your vehicle. Another option is what I tinkered with:

(Not a sponsor, not a plug)

Diablo Sport sells a box, cable kit and depending how deep you want to get, a software app you run on your laptop. It saves an original memory flash from your on board computer, then loads in a broad spectrum enhancement that does work. You can tell it if you have certain mods, built on parts, etc. and it will dial your vehicle into optimal shape.

You can choose blistering, boosted intake, chopped exhaust and NOS matched tunes, or massage a stock rig into enhanced performance or super economic modes. You can always flash back in original saved parameters and fuel maps if you remove mods or need to roll your machine in for service.

If you go with the laptop app, you can actually dig into the digits, shift points, shift pressures, speedometer calibration... all of it. But! Be very aware and know what you're doing. If you don't, or have something completely out of the box in mind, you can email Diablo Sport with your request, specs, what you expect...then they'll send you a custom tune you then flash in.

It may take a few tries of saving snap shots, emailing them, receiving... wash, rinse, repeat; but they'll set you up. (As long as your subscription is paid)

But here's another clue... it's costlier by orders of magnitude than any $40 clip and forget gizmo. You get, rather unfortunately; what you pay for in this arena.

Depends on what type of vehicle you put it in?
If it is horse and buggy, then the mileage will be improved. ;)

Without a specific vehicle tune, items like this will likely simply change throttle mapping, so that it feels more peppy, even though the engine power/torque is unchanged.

Without a specific vehicle tune, items like this will likely simply change throttle mapping, so that it feels more peppy, even though the engine power/torque is unchanged.
In this case it'd be all in your head because all it is, is a board with controller that makes some LEDs flash and in no way communicates with the ECU.

Back