anti-virus

Fairly new computer with W11. I am reminded to renew my MacAfee antivirus. After reading about built-in AV programs already installed in Windows11, do I need to purchase another AV program? I think possibly I was foolish to purchase an AV program. Would like some assistance with this question. Thank you. Ed

Generally, the built-in AV program is overkill if you are not pirating, using cracked software, or clicking every spam link. Odds are if you had paid AV long enough to expire, there are maybe like 12 sites you visit and you would barely notice if the rest went away.

If that doesn't describe you may something "better" is needed.

Fairly new computer with W11. I am reminded to renew my MacAfee antivirus. After reading about built-in AV programs already installed in Windows11, do I need to purchase another AV program? I think possibly I was foolish to purchase an AV program. Would like some assistance with this question. Thank you. Ed
No, you don’t need anything else. Windows 11 comes with Defender enabled and other AV programs are a scam in general. They either aren’t better or are definitely worse and have been exploited in the past.

Windows is probably more than adequate but for the love of god if you're gonna purchase something let it not be MacAsheep....

Notice: .... I know very little about computers and security.

How about using Microsoft's Defender that comes with computer and download the 'free' version of Malwarebytes
just to double-check.

Last edited:
The more conspiracy-minded individuals might believe that the well publicized viruses of years gone by were initiated by the anti-virus companies themselves to promote their product and create a demand for it.

NO, use Windows Defender. I bet more people mess up their computers performance using anti virus software than not.

Back