Anti-seize compound.... in an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several people on a motorcycle forum are advocating the use of anti-seize as a gasket dressing on the valve cover. Supposedly, it's just the ticket for preventing material transfer and promoting the future re-use of the gasket.

My concern is with the metal particles floating around in the engine. Solids found in Permatex anti-seize compound include copper, aluminum, and graphite.

I wavered for a while and finally chose to use it on my own gasket. I ran the engine for about 5 minutes and then immediately drained the 2500-mile oil. I could easily see the metallic glitter in the old oil and I'm starting to have regrets about using this stuff on my gasket.

What do you guys think? Should I re-fill with a cheap oil, run it for a few more minutes, and drain it again? Copper, alu, and graphite are all pretty soft, but so is the aluminum head (which uses no bearing inserts).

RM <-- feeling a little dumb today

I think that would be a good idea to put in the cheap oil, drive around the block and then
change it again. Never can be too safe, I wouldn't feel comfortable after seeing that stuff in
the oil.

Some anti-seize compunds also contain 1 um to 10 um glass particles, aka silica.

While the copper, graphite, and aluminum probably won't harm anything, the glass sure will.

Some of the metals you saw could have been from the clutch plates depending on how they are made.Do you think that the filter might be getting bypassed from a relief valve in some way?

I use Gaskacinch when I want to reuse a gasket,depends on the material though.

I think I'll do that. I'll waste $4.00 worth of oil but it'll help me sleep better at night. This ****ed composite gasket is $26 and it's generally not kept in stock locally. I wish they'd went with neoprene - my other bike has one and I've re-used it five times.

I think it's safe to say that I can ignore the copper and aluminum numbers on my next oil analysis report.

RM

PS. Any thoughts on what I can use as a gasket dressing that will enable it to be re-used? I thought about using some kind of high-temp grease, or maybe engine assembly lube.

[ August 27, 2002, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: richard612 ]

Funny you mention that... I've always been a strong advocate of Hylomar for just these reasons, but it let me down this last time. It tacked-up enough to allow for a rather significant amount of material transfer from the gasket to the mating surfaces (mostly the engine block).

Hylomar has worked great for me everywhere else.

MoleKule - The MSDS indicates:

1. DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED HEAVY
NAPHTHENIC

2. ALUMINIUM POWDER (PYROPHORIC)

3. GRAPHITE

4. MINERAL OIL

5. NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED HEAVY

6. COPPER

7. LITHIUM SOAP

richard612,

Looks pretty clean and I wouldn't be too concerned with this stuff. It might skew your oil
analysis a bit toward copper, aluminum, and solids.

Just ran 50 miles with a cheapo $1/qt oil and drained it again. There was even more glitter in the oil this time around.

I think next time I'll try using a moly engine assembly lube on the gasket...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back