Another True Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a relative who was an Electronic Engineer. When he retired from Electronic Engineering he opened up a Hobby Shop.

Being knowledgeable about the high amount of current Nickel-Cadmium Battery packs can put out if the out-put is shot-circuited he was concerned with the liability of selling them. But the demand for them in remote control cars was high and he could not pass up the sales. So to cover his assets he made a very good video tape about the dangers of Ni-Cad Batteries demonstrating how much power is contained in a Ni-Cad pack and what can happen if one is shorted out. This included information about never having any metal object in your pocket if you are going to put a battery pack in that pocket. Everyone who worked in the store viewed the video and was told they were not allowed to sell a Ni-Cad Battery pack to anyone unless they first tried to have them view the video and sign a book recording they had viewed the video, or if a customer out-right refused to take the time to view the video they had to sign a waver of holding the store liable before anyone was allowed to sell them any Ni-Cad battery.

So one day this young man comes in and wants to but a Ni-Cad battery pack for his RC Car. My Uncle who made up the video waits on him. The customer did not want to waste time watching a video. My Uncle tried again to get him to watch it but he would not, so he was asked to sign the waver of holding the store liable, and he signed. He purchased his battery pack and left the store.

A short while later an older man comes in the store and he can't stop laughing. My Uncle waits on him, and he has to ask what is so funny. The man says he just saw the funniest thing he ever saw in his life. My uncle asks him what than was. He says there was this young man walking down the side-walk and his pants burst into flame and he is trying to put them out.

True story, really happened.

Not doubting the trueness of the story, but why would someone laugh if a person's pants caught on fire? That's the part that is hard to believe.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Not doubting the trueness of the story, but why would someone laugh if a person's pants caught on fire? That's the part that is hard to believe.

Nobody would laugh at someone's pants being on fire since this is a true emergency that must be dealt with immediately. BUT, if the guy got the fire put out and was obviously alright, then I would laugh my butt off!!

Because "Liar, liar pants on fire!"

When it happens to you it is a tragedy, but when it happens to someone else it is a comedy...

Easy...it's like my Dad said: "If you can't laugh at yourself...laugh at other people."

When I was a kid one of my friend's dad did the experiment where you wrap a wire around a nail and connect it to a battery to make an electromagnet.

He taped one wire to one side of a D-size NiCad battery..and then touched the other wire to the other side.

The tape and insulation started melting, but it was the most powerful electromagnet I'd ever seen! It was sucking paperclips from a few inches away!

He disconnected it and didn't want to hook it up anymore...

There is a right way and a wrong way to ignite a blue blazer (flatulence ignition). I watched my cousin do it the wrong way. I've never seen a person move so fast.

The smell of burt hair was overwhelming....

Maybe the incident was unrelated to the battery...

Maybe he simply was a LIAR, a we all know what happens to a liar's pants!

OK... "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back