Another "Noisey Mobil 1" topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading throughout the site, various members have complained about engine noise with Mobil 1 but also many members say that Mobil 1 produces high iron wear in UOA. is there a corelation between the noise and high iron wear?
dunno.gif

i have both...

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
From reading throughout the site, various members have complained about engine noise with Mobil 1 but also many members say that Mobil 1 produces high iron wear in UOA. is there a corelation between the noise and high iron wear?
dunno.gif

I changed the oil in my mother's 97 accord EX about 3500 miles ago with Mobil 1 10w30 and a napa 1334 filter (going for 7500 intervals, my mother does much freeway driving).

There was some increased noise, surprisingly, from when I changed it with Mobil 1 5w30 from the interval before. If the 10w30 and the 5w30 are similar, it bewilders me as to why the 10w30 would create more noise (though, I am not 100% sure the oil is the cause of the new noise. It does sound like noisy valves). There is no startup valve noise, just some noise when it is at idle.

Three intervals ago, it was changed at the Honda dealer, so, perhaps the 5w30 Mobil 1 interval before this 10w30 oci cleaned out any gunk that the honda oil left behind. Maybe I'll cut this interval short at 5,000 miles and change out the oil again to rule the Mobil 1 out.

I would really hate for the oil to be the root of the noise because I have had really good results (no noise that is) with Mobil 1 in all other vehicles I have had it in, such as a 94 civic ex, and 98 Audi A6 30v.

I am going to try the 0w40, 5w40, or possibly GC in this engine next time to see if the noise will go away.

I have also noticed increased valve train noise after an oil change and all I have ever used is dino oil.Don't know what it is but sometimes the engines seem to be noiser right after a fresh oil change. I changed the oil in a S10 that my father in law owned. It had been in the crankcase for about 5 months and was still clean had only about 1000 miles on it.Put in Havoline 5w30 and noticed quite a bit of valve train noise. And I have noticed this with other oils as well. After awhile they quiet back down so what gives?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Hmmm...I'm thinking I would probably put a whole lot more stock in UOAs rather than something as subjective as perceived noise coming from my engines when making oil choices.

I imagine it is annoying to have a noisy engine so I do understand where people get frustrated. A UOA though is the tell all, noise isn't.
wink.gif

Exactly... its just plain annoying. If I can use another oil that costs less and protects just as well for my application AND causes no noise, why the **** would I keep using Mobil1.

Right now my Buick has Havoline semi-syn 10w30 in the vehicle and will probably continue using it for quite some time, although I'll probably switch to 5w30 semi-syn in winter. It's a group II+ and III blend that can be had for $1.98/qt.

I'll post the UOA that I have done at the next oil change, the Blackstone kit is setting on the shelf in the garage. I'm not changing it till the OLM lights up, so we'll get a look at both how well the oil held up and if the OLM appears accurate in this application.

If everything specs out OK, I can't justify buying M1 at $4+/qt. especially if it causes noise.

Forkman, as one of our former Presidents once said, "I feel your pain"
smile.gif

All kidding aside, I've used Mobil 1 for 20 years now, in over a half a dozen vehicles, and none of the engines ever made strange noises so I have a hard time relating. Maybe I'm just lucky. How bad is this noise and what does it sound like? Does it sound like mechanical lifters in desperate need of adjustment, a bad rod bearing knock, piston slap, a flattened lobe on the camshaft, detonation? Can you measure the increased noise with a sound level meter?

I'm not doubting that you're hearing something, but is it possible it's the placebo effect?

By the way, where do you find the Havoline semi-syn 5/10w30 for $1.98/qt? Can you find it Wally World?

[ May 19, 2004, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

FWIW, I've run M1 in its various incarnations for almost 20 years (18-ish actually). I've been quite happy with it, and never noticed anything I considered to be a problem, with this one caveat. When I dumped my last M1 fill from my V-6 Camry to try Amsoil 5w-30, I was surprised to find that the engine was quieter and smoother on the Amsoil (already thinking this was a very sweet engine). Nothing earthshaking, but it was noticeable. I remain fully satisfied with M1 performance, in academic terms, I'd give it a B+ or A-, while I'd give the Amsoil an A to A+. If only all my choices in life were this luxurious. I would, and probably will, use any M1 product without hesitation. Just my experience.
cheers.gif

[ May 19, 2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
By the way, where do you find the Havoline semi-syn 5/10w30 for $1.98/qt? Can you find it Wally World?

Advance Auto, normal price was $2.08 sale of $1.98. They seem to be running a sale on it about once every 2 months.

quote:

Originally posted by Forkman:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

Advance Auto, normal price was $2.08 sale of $1.98. They seem to be running a sale on it about once every 2 months.

Thanks for the info.

Never had Mobil 1 make any noise in the many vehicles I've used it in. But I have to admit, I've never performed a UOA, just figure if it's synthetic and cost that much it must be good. I did notice on my 95 Landcruiser it did use a qt between 5K mile OCI.

FWIW I just changed to Mobil 1 SS 10w30 in our 1995 Lexus LS400. It was previously filled with Toyota-branded SJ 10w30 mineral (made for Toyota Australia by Caltex/Havoline/Texaco).

The engine is still whisper quiet, no increase in engine noise at all with M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back