Another NGK vs China spark plug success

Huh. Never thought it would make a difference in a low compression low hp ohv single cyl. Heck I may just replace every spark plug in all my small engines now. What NGK plug is that, copper or nickel.

Last edited:
They were NGK Iridium's, and no I didn't expect that outcome either. If it comes up on plug replacement for any of my other stuff I'll probably use them if available. I just figured it was all marketing BS, especially in that application. Apparently not.

Like I said, sample size of 1 though, so YMMV.

Huh was working on dad's generator this weekend (stuck float), I think the same as OP's, and he said it was a bear to start also. Has the same plug, I'll tell him to change the plug to NGK next time I'm down.

I'm going to do an experiment on a small generator I've had since 2010. I own a Powerstroke 2500 watt generator with the same Chonda engine and Huayi carb like some older cheaper Generac. It ran flawlessly until the past two years when it started the Honda style surge. I removed a Torch F6TC plug to replace it with an NGK BP6ES and swapped the carb for a clone from Amazon. It started first pull and runs perfect. Now for the experiment. I've worked on a lot of cars and have an extra Denso 5061 3 electrode plug sitting around from working on Audi/VW products. That plug and the Torch F6TC and F6RTC cross to the Autolite 3923 and some Delco applications on a couple of reference charts. Its physically the same size and from what I can tell same heat range. I'm just curious how the generator would run and start with the 3 electrode plug. The Denso long number is K20PBR-S10 . If I try it I'll give everyone an update. I also have a few Delco iridium plugs that I haven't crossed yet so one day I may be swapping a few out to see how it runs with each. BTW I had a Huayi carb kit on order from a lawn care equipment shop for 6 months due to the supply chain issues. It was more money than the clone carburetor so I canceled that order after the clone worked perfectly.

Last edited:
I thought iridium plugs may benefit for longer change intervals. Does it also benefit high compression engine?

Most all modern GDI engines are high compression and have Iridium or Platinum plugs in from the factory.
I'm sure it helps, but it certainly is likely to get you to the 100,000 mile plug change many specify

My 2¢.

Iridium tip can be finer which probably means less energy needed to jump a spark between the electrodes.

I bought this generator about six years ago and only used it as backup power for my pellet stove so it's only got about three or four hours on it total. Since new it has always been a bear to start, requiring six to ten pulls to get going and most times I'd have to give it a shot of starting fluid when the temps got below freezing. I've always meant to replace the plug after discovering it was a China special, but never did as it always looked good when I performed the annual maintenance on it, and the generator always ran well once it started. So over the weekend I stopped by Napa and picked up an NGK plug and swapped it out. Three mornings now the gen has started on the first or second pull with just the choke and with temps in the teens. I know, I know, I should have replaced the plug years ago.

it feels like step 2 when buying any OPE (new or used) is change the spark plug, step 1 being the purchase. I have really good luck with E3 from Menards in all my OPE. Glad you got it fixed though.

Just my $0.02

I have 2 generators that came with Torch plugs -

First time I ran them was with the original Torch plug - they worked fine -

When I stored them I removed the plug to add a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder and put in an NGK plug -

I kept the Torch as a back up to the other new NGK plugs I have - not worth the hassle for something as basic as a spark plug.

Back