Another NGK vs China spark plug success

I bought this generator about six years ago and only used it as backup power for my pellet stove so it's only got about three or four hours on it total. Since new it has always been a bear to start, requiring six to ten pulls to get going and most times I'd have to give it a shot of starting fluid when the temps got below freezing. I've always meant to replace the plug after discovering it was a China special, but never did as it always looked good when I performed the annual maintenance on it, and the generator always ran well once it started. So over the weekend I stopped by Napa and picked up an NGK plug and swapped it out. Three mornings now the gen has started on the first or second pull with just the choke and with temps in the teens. I know, I know, I should have replaced the plug years ago.

Attachments

• gen1.jpg
    gen1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 438
  • plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 442
Glad that the new plug is working for you. I just bought an NGK BPR6ES plug (under Honda label) for my new snow blower that should be delivered on Thursday. I got that plug at the suggestion of Astro_Guy on this forum. Thanks to him.

I bought this generator about six years ago and only used it as backup power for my pellet stove so it's only got about three or four hours on it total. Since new it has always been a bear to start, requiring six to ten pulls to get going and most times I'd have to give it a shot of starting fluid when the temps got below freezing. I've always meant to replace the plug after discovering it was a China special, but never did as it always looked good when I performed the annual maintenance on it, and the generator always ran well once it started. So over the weekend I stopped by Napa and picked up an NGK plug and swapped it out. Three mornings now the gen has started on the first or second pull with just the choke and with temps in the teens. I know, I know, I should have replaced the plug years ago.
I have a similar situation, Troy-Bilt snow blower with a Chinese manufactured engine. The factory plug was a Torch F6RTC, from new it took multiple pulls to start it and under heavy strain it seemed to bog down somewhat. After the initial year I swapped in a NGK BPR6ES. It now starts on the first half tug of the started cord and doesn't seem to bog down as easily as before. Yet looking at the Torch plug it appears to be a model plug in appearance, sharp electrodes and a nice light tan color on the ceramic firing tip. Ironically Torch replacement plugs are $6-$7 and the NGK was around $2.50

I worked part time at NAPA for many years. Saw many failed Torch plugs over the years. I always crossed them to an NGK.

My Chonda generator starts in one pull every time with original torch plug so some of them are good. I do have the NGK replacement handy for when it dies, but the gen must have 200 hours on it now and still one pull starting. It will probably be Dark, Cold and Rainy or snowy when I have to change it and I will be kicking myself why. The why is to see how long it lasts. I wonder how many of you also have a weak failing oil sensor. Try unplugging it just to see.

Rod

My Chonda generator starts in one pull every time with original torch plug so some of them are good. I do have the NGK replacement handy for when it dies, but the gen must have 200 hours on it now and still one pull starting. It will probably be Dark, Cold and Rainy or snowy when I have to change it and I will be kicking myself why. The why is to see how long it lasts. I wonder how many of you also have a weak failing oil sensor. Try unplugging it just to see.

Rod
They seem to be hit or miss. Some are cr*p right from the beginning, some work somewhat and some seem to work ok for a while. To avoid issues in bad circumstances just change the Torch plug early because it will fail early eventually.

Good to hear, ngk also makes some iridum plugs. I have one in my generator.
I just go for the NGK Iridium plugs. It's not as if the price difference matters when considering the value of your time to replace them. That being said, the standard NGK copper plugs are probably all that any piece of OPE will ever need. I use the Iridium plugs for that little bit of added peace of mind.

I just go for the NGK Iridium plugs. It's not as if the price difference matters when considering the value of your time to replace them. That being said, the standard NGK copper plugs are probably all that any piece of OPE will ever need. I use the Iridium plugs for that little bit of added peace of mind.

Really? Standard plugs are supposed to work pretty much the same. Fancy plugs might last longer, but for a small engine is it really any better? I'd think the most important thing is that standard plugs aren't worn and have the sharper edges that help with creation of a spark. Especially a V-Power plug.

My generator came with and still has a torch spark plug in it. It's about 7 years old, and the last time I went to run it it wouldn't start. I ran it out of gas, so it just died. I refilled it a month and a half ago , and it wouldn't start. I pulled the plug and it had some buildup of crud on it. I cleaned it up and and primed it with 2 pulls, and it fired up and ran fine. I don't really consider what happened to be a sign of a defective of poorly made spark plug. Now if it didn't fire up, I may have thought that, but it was easily remedied. Just my 2 cents,,,

I swapped out a OEM Torch plug in a Chinese Subaru engine for an NGK BPR6HS. There’s a subtle difference in how it starts and runs. I have one in a B&S 675EX on a Troy-Built rotary mower, NGK BKR5E. Same plug as many Nissan VG30/33 engines used in the older Frontier/Hardbody and Quests.

I thought iridium plugs may benefit for longer change intervals. Does it also benefit high compression engine?

Really? Standard plugs are supposed to work pretty much the same. Fancy plugs might last longer, but for a small engine is it really any better? I'd think the most important thing is that standard plugs aren't worn and have the sharper edges that help with creation of a spark. Especially a V-Power plug.
Ir plugs with fine-wire electrode is the biggest advance in ignition tech in 50 years.
Most important on small COP ignition that have low potential.

On a big magneto ODPE with low compression, just a clean plug with a good gap should and correct HR should do.

I have a similar situation, Troy-Bilt snow blower with a Chinese manufactured engine. The factory plug was a Torch F6RTC, from new it took multiple pulls to start it and under heavy strain it seemed to bog down somewhat. After the initial year I swapped in a NGK BPR6ES. It now starts on the first half tug of the started cord and doesn't seem to bog down as easily as before. Yet looking at the Torch plug it appears to be a model plug in appearance, sharp electrodes and a nice light tan color on the ceramic firing tip. Ironically Torch replacement plugs are $6-$7 and the NGK was around $2.50
Funny that is an old Subaru boxer spec plug. This NGK p/n always toasted their flat and thin GND electrodes too quickly.
Pulled and tossed many with short service life - thus my displeasure,

The Denso W20epru-11 was my go-to for a good tune up and longer life.

Denso hot U is tonnes better than NGK V-Power.

But gladly the days of marginal performance from traditional plugs is gone with wide heat range Ir plugs that are excellent from
NGK and Bosch and others,

when spark plugs are hard to change overpriced exotic metal plugs are a good choice, otherwise standard plugs that conduct better are the smart choice IMO!!

I just replaced a Torch plug in a 10 year old Husky lawnmower.. My elderly neighbor said it always took 20 pulls and even had to use starting fluid spray to get it running. I just put an NGK BPR6ES in and now it starts with one pull....EVERYTIME

Used pressure washer yesterday after its been sitting for a year. Before i put it in storage i swapped the torch plug for a ngk.
Couldnt believe how easy it was to start with just 2 pulls. Even seems to run a bit quieter which is odd.

With a sample size of 1, I have an iridium experience with my Kholer 7000 motor.

At the time of change the motor had maybe 40-50 hours on it. My standard starting procedure was to leave the throttle at the lowest setting, crank the motor for maybe 2-3 seconds, and then shove the throttle to choke where it would immediately fire off.

After the iridium plugs, maybe 6 times out of 10 depending on the outdoor temp, the motor will fire off and run with no choke almost immediately. I'd done an oil change at the same time, but the before and after oil was the same.

I didn't buy them for that, I just had a coupon and figured 'why not, let's see what happens'. The plugs weren't due for replacement or doing anything odd. The stock ones were just standard champions.

Just an interesting occurrence. I didn't run out and put them in all the OPE, but I might do it when the time comes for replacements, although, OPE plugs tend to last a good long time (If they're not Torch).

Back