Another Interesting Flu Vaccine Fast, & why we outsource it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Influenza vaccine is produced by growing the virus in eggs. The virus is killed and processed to create the vaccine, which is given by injection under the skin. The body then produces antibodies to the virus over the

>>next two to four weeks. If the immunized person then comes into contact with the influenza virus, the antibodies attack and kill the virus before it has a chance to cause infection. The vaccine contains the 3 most likely strains to be active during the "flu season"

Why the shortage:

Almost half of the nation's flu vaccine will not be delivered this year. Chiron, a major manufacturer of flu vaccine, will not be distributing any influenza vaccine this flu season. Chiron was to make 46-48 million doses vaccine for the United States. Chiron is a British company. Recently British health officials stopped Chiron from distributing and making the vaccine when inspectors found unsanitary conditions in the labs. Some lots of the vaccine were recalled and destroyed.

Why is our vaccine made in the UK and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the late 80's a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu. The strain he caught was one of the strains in that years vaccine made by a US company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5 million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical companies stopped making the vaccine. The liability out weighed the profit margin.

Since UK and Canadian laws prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies began selling the vaccine in the US. By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law suit was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards.

Basically the pharmaceutical companies in the US only want to make drugs that are highly profitable. They don't want to be bothered with the expense/costs to manufacture low-profit drugs......only the HIGH-profit margin drugs. It's a shame, but that's how most companies here in the USA operate.
dunno.gif

My younger sister who does not have health insurance, got pink eye last week. She told me that the tiny bottle (5 ml) of eye drops was $79.19
confused.gif
Talk about a major profit for Alcon. I bet Alcon must make 500% profit on this tiny bottle.

LT4 Vette,

I don't think you can completely comprehend how much Research and Develop Pharm. companies here in the US do. This costs them tons of $$$. You ought to see Pfizer's lab in upstate NY. When they come out with a new drug, it's cost $$$ for the FDA to approve it throught all their tests. Of course this is all at the Pharm. companies expense...

Durring the last debate the President said we we're going to be importing vaccine from Canada. Why can we import vaccine from Canada but not prescription drugs?

Canadian drugs aren't regulated. Most of them come from S. America.

American companies make the vaccine, just don't make it in the US.

Kinda funny, Kerry was ripping Bush for outsourcing jobs, yet wants to outsource our prescription drugs??? Is he aware how many jobs would be lost because of that???

Doug,
WRT the costs of drugs, my cousin is a drug pusher for a pharmaceutical company. She drives a BMW, take antipasto platters to the doctor's surgeries, and takes them on "seminars" to expensive places.

Her Brother in law is also a drug pusher for the same company, but in the Agricultural branch. He drives a Ford, and gets about 60% of the pay.

Same drugs, same development costs, same production costs, different prices (very different)

So, they're marketing drugs, Shannow? My bro is a VP with Pfizer, he has his PhD. He get's paid very well, name another VP at a Fortune 500 company that isn't paid well? They pay all their employees VERY well, anything wrong with that? Anyways, how else do you market them? The more prescriptions written, they more $ they make. Sooooooooo, since Dr's. are the only ones able to prescribe something, who else are they going to smooz over? Drug reps are always giving free samples to Drs. to try on patients, that's how they have to presriptions written.

So, will a Dr be more open to try a drug from a rep that wears jeans to his office, doesn't shave everyday, or, would he/she be more inclined to hear about and write prescriptions when it's presented by a professional looking, educated rep(who drives a nice car)? I am in the Telecom field, we advertise, advertise, advertise. Guess who pays for that? The customer. Same in pharmecuticals.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:

Basically the pharmaceutical companies in the US only want to make drugs that are highly profitable. They don't want to be bothered with the expense/costs to manufacture low-profit drugs......only the HIGH-profit margin drugs. It's a shame, but that's how most companies here in the USA operate.
dunno.gif

Companies that do not make enough profit to keep their stock price high get sued for not acting in their stock holders interest.

My younger sister who does not have health insurance, got pink eye last week. She told me that the tiny bottle (5 ml) of eye drops was $79.19
confused.gif
Talk about a major profit for Alcon. I bet Alcon must make 500% profit on this tiny bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug:
So, will a Dr be more open to try a drug from a rep that wears jeans to his office, doesn't shave everyday, or, would he/she be more inclined to hear about and write prescriptions when it's presented by a professional looking, educated rep(who drives a nice car)? I am in the Telecom field, we advertise, advertise, advertise. Guess who pays for that? The customer. Same in pharmecuticals.

Doug,
you missed my point.

It was with respect to the the cost of the drugs.

Same drugs used for veterinary, and for human use.

Vast differences in price.

Farmers and animal owners pay for one out of their pockets. Insurance companies pay for the other, at an unnecessary premium.

This is what we get from a market driven health care system. What is the big surprise???

A market based system encourages increased sales of high profit goods. Thus we have three boner pills and no US made flu vaccine.

It costs the 'big and gready' drug companies 10-20 years and over 1.5 Billion (yep, the big B) to get the average drug to market. Think all drugs will make a profit??? All done under the scrutiny and eventually with the blessing of the FDA. Then the trial lawyers circle when a drug like Vioxx that has helped most everyone for whom it has been prescribed is pulled out of fear of litigation.

And hospital costs are rising faster than drug costs but nobody talks about that. Big hospitals doesn't have that same ring as big drug companies.

The system's broke. As much as Bush/Cheney want to tell us we have the best health care in the world, we don't. We're right between Slovinia and Portugal because our system is again, based on selling high profit treatments (drugs and ops) not on prevention.

Oilguy,

Iraq is part of the war on terror. Kerry saw the evidence and said that Iraq is an imminent threat. Since he has flip-flopped and changed his mind. Obviously you have listen to NPR too much and are too much of a moron to get the facts straight.

"Maybe some conservatives can't read due to America's poor education system. "

What's that mean? I guess since I'm poorly educated, I can ascertain what you're saying. Because snopes.com says it's not accurate(which, is good to know) that means I can't read?

I think you need to go back under your rock.

''at this point it's not known if he ever litigated a flu vaccine case, or if so, what the outcome of such a trial was.

Last updated: 22 October 2004 ''

Hardly out and out proof that Edwards didn't. So much for www.snopes.com being reliable.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
''at this point it's not known if he ever litigated a flu vaccine case, or if so, what the outcome of such a trial was.

Last updated: 22 October 2004 ''

Hardly out and out proof that Edwards didn't. So much for www.snopes.com being reliable.

Either the people who made the charge had facts to back up their charge or they didn't. Since the charge would be far more effective if they published a cite to link the charge to an actual case, there are three reasonable conclusions.

1. They had the info and are morons for not publishing it.

2. The didn't have the info and are morons because they were duped.

3. They are liers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back