An EV I would buy

$20,000 out the door Canadian as a maximum price.

Honestly I find fancy annoying.

My 2014 F150 XLT has more junk in it than I need.
Those have become more standard contented as time goes on too. I had a 2017 XLT. It was a 302a time(I think?) which is about as top as it gets for an XLT, but I think most of the stuff it had is standard aside from the trailer backing assist.

These strippies just don't seem to exist anymore. Aside from some performance models there aren't many that don't have insane features. Even in those cases it takes higher interior trims just to get the highest performance differentials and special wheel and brake packages. There's of course Porsche where you pay more for less equipment because racecar.

Op specified a two seater.

Yes I did, 70% of the time it would be used by me or my fiance running around alone doing errands, occasionally together, a few short road trips together.
We both have V8 powered 4x4 full size pickup trucks for long trips, hauling loads, towing, taking more people, snow storms. But for zipping around in, a 2 seater is perfect.

Are you actually in the market for this vehicle or is it merely an intellectual exercise?

Not immediately, but in a couple years I want to buy such a car yes. Actually my fiance and I would like to buy one together, we would each pay for half.
It would also be great as a commuter car for her work, she works downtown.

Last edited:
Those have become more standard contented as time goes on too. I had a 2017 XLT. It was a 302a time(I think?) which is about as top as it gets for an XLT, but I think most of the stuff it had is standard aside from the trailer backing assist.

These strippies just don't seem to exist anymore. Aside from some performance models there aren't many that don't have insane features. Even in those cases it takes higher interior trims just to get the highest performance differentials and special wheel and brake packages. There's of course Porsche where you pay more for less equipment because racecar.

I definitely don't need high performance brakes or tires on it.
Don't need blistering top speed or acceleration either.
My F150 throttle pedal might hit the floor once a year for 10 seconds maximum.
Last summer my BFF asked me if I could drive his Accord on an errand for him, to get his mother a saddle he had bought her for her upcoming birthday.
I put about 600 kms or 400 miles on his Accord that day, and it felt plenty powerful enough for me.
I don't understand why anyone would want a sub 5 second 0 to 60 mph car for road use.
His 6.? 0 to 60 Accord felt plenty fast the once i floored it that day, and I was already doing about 40 mph when I did floor it, but was passing an RV doing 40 down the highway.
I drive a logging truck, so everything normal feels like a bullet in comparison. 😁

I want a small, reliable, fun little car.
2 seats, a hatch or trunk to throw stuff in, good handling,
Walmart awaits your order.

1704166999012.jpg

The Chevy Bolt is perhaps the closest thing to that today. Wait for the Tesla Model 2, or whatever they call it. Maybe later this year... Who knows for sure?
But don't expect that much of a strippie. And 110v offers 4 mph; pretty much worthless.
Well, since models S, 3, X, Y are already in use, the next one would be Model B (also coincides with 2 lol), correct? 🤣

Last summer my BFF asked me if I could drive his Accord on an errand for him, to get his mother a saddle he had bought her for her upcoming birthday.
I put about 600 kms or 400 miles on his Accord that day, and it felt plenty powerful enough for me.
I don't understand why anyone would want a sub 5 second 0 to 60 mph car for road use.
His 6.? 0 to 60 Accord felt plenty fast the once i floored it that day, and I was already doing about 40 mph when I did floor it, but was passing an RV doing 40 down the highway.
I drive a logging truck, so everything normal feels like a bullet in comparison. 😁
Who knows, it might be fun. 😂

Live a little, you paid for the whole tachometer use the whole tachometer! No, I don’t have any mechanical sympathy..

IMG_8997.jpeg

Live a little, you paid for the whole tachometer use the whole tachometer! No, I don’t have any mechanical sympathy..

View attachment 196062

🤣😁🤣

I especially wouldn't be using much for throttle or revs while the temperature gauge still reads cold 😂😂😂

Until it is at full operational temperature, 1/8 throttle max, and keep the revs down.
Something that I enjoy is living 4.5 kms from the hwy, on slow speed backroads, so that when I leave my yard the engine, trans, diffs, tires, and all have a chance to slowly warm up before I get to the hwy, and I have to push them some to get up to 90 kms/hr the speed limit. But I still don't floor it, no need to as everything is still warming up on a cool morning, so being gentle for another 5 kms along the hwy is good. I also just gently ease down my road at maybe 30 kms/hr on the way home that last km to let it cool off, and then back into my driveway gently.
If driving someone else's vehicle, I treat it the same way.
In fact I drive someone else's far more than I drive my own, since the logging truck isn't owned by me.

My obsolete Nissan leaf will do 94mph and accelerate from 0 to 60 in like 9 seconds.
The j1772 charging protocol allows for 120, 208 and 240v charging just need a charge cord that will allow use of a 120v or 240 receptacle. I don't recommend 120v charging it's too slow and too inefficient.
Almost everything sold now has 17 to 20 inch wheels, you can retro wheel it and put on old 16 inch wheels most of the time. That what I did to my wife's car, put her old 2008 to 2010 Hyundai wheels on her new 2018 that came with big ugly wheels.

Used electric cars are really cheap I saw a news article very recently about a crybaby reporter complaining that his $70,000 model y is now worth $28,000 3 years later and that it's losing $2,000 per month in resale value. In 3 years he will have to pay someone to take his 6 year old model y.

A 2-seater is a bit unlikely because hardly anyone else wants that in a cheap car. The Fiat 500e is close with 200 miles of range and a back seat you wouldn't want to sit in.

I've heard Bolt seats are pretty awful and it will have close to the range you want but not in winter. Not sure why you need that much range anyway. Cheap ≠ long range.

Much harder to find but GM made a 2-seater EV in the '90s but it only had half the range you want. Really advanced tech for the time and no dumb screen!
1704235926073.jpg
1704235979244.jpg

A 2-seater is a bit unlikely because hardly anyone else wants that in a cheap car. The Fiat 500e is close with 200 miles of range and a back seat you wouldn't want to sit in.

I've heard Bolt seats are pretty awful and it will have close to the range you want but not in winter. Not sure why you need that much range anyway. Cheap ≠ long range.

Much harder to find but GM made a 2-seater EV in the '90s but it only had half the range you want. Really advanced tech for the time and no dumb screen!
View attachment 196163 View attachment 196164

Why, because 250 miles of range would allow us to go for country drives. We will often go on drives that long, and no place to buy gas, forget grab a charge.

There is a lot of EV talk here on BITOG, but not much if anything about what consumers such as me want.
So I started this thread, will share what I would buy if ev shopping, and hopefully others will also share what they want.

2 seats, a hatch or trunk to throw stuff in, good handling, simplistic interior, FM radio, AC, heater, comfy seats, good head room. No sunroof, no bluetooth, no phone pairing, no GPS, no ugly screen glued to the dash.
Front or rear wheel drive, I don't care.
Top speed of say 100 mph, 0 to 60 mph acceleration under 7 seconds, quiet, smooth, good ride, reasonable size wheels say 16 or 17 inch, not 20.
Easily charged up by a 110 volt cord so i can plug it in anywhere, a real world range of 250 miles, and by real world I mean that no matter what it can do 250 miles between charges.
Price it cheap, i mean really cheap, dirt cheap.
If the battery gets ruined in a crash, just scrap the car, and get a new one.
And don't make it super ugly, have it look good, nothing like anything that tesla puts out, which are hideous to look at.
Style it after a 2000 Honda CRX for example.

Skip the oddball door handles and doors, leave out 95% of the electronic junk, and keep the weight low.
No current production gasoline car comes anywhere close to all of your requirements, so, it’s clear that this is set has limited consumer appeal. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for one to be made, if I were you.

But you can always build your own - maybe start with an old MR2 - and when the reality of the weight of a 250 mile battery pack hits you, let us know if you’re willing to give up the light weight, or the range, because there is no way you’re getting both.

Why, because 250 miles of range would allow us to go for country drives. We will often go on drives that long, and no place to buy gas, forget grab a charge.
I'd be interested in that if it existed. I could even use that for work trips. Otherwise now I think my only real option is what we already own and it's still a good bit bigger than my GTI.

I'd be interested in that if it existed. I could even use that for work trips. Otherwise now I think my only real option is what we already own and it's still a good bit bigger than my GTI.

I can dream at least.
Who knows, maybe someday the technology will exist, a battery might be the size of a pillow, and weigh 100 lbs.
I might be 50 years old then, but it will make me a good old mans car.

Back