An easier way to charge vehicles at home

Or perhaps we accept that home charging covering the range of

110VAC - 40 miles a day at home charging
220VAC - 250 miles (32amp)

Is good enough for 95% of people without any real upgrade and if you have to go further you use the public charging station or you own this instead

I know folks with 2 plug ins that run strictly 110vac to both. Math is even better if you have 110vac at work.

If one argues that EVs are really better for folks with short commutes, and with the established fact that slow charging generates less heat and is better for the batteries… then the 110 really is a good option.

Many days my commute is about 9 miles each way. I’d suspect that I could keep the battery in a comfortable narrow middling band of SOC with a 110 charge at home, which would be convenient and gentle.

I suspect many folks have that sort of scenario.

Thing is, when I need to drive someplace the next morning and go 140-280 miles in 24 hours (common), it means paying for big chargers or having a 220 source that hopefully is enough.

If one argues that EVs are really better for folks with short commutes, and with the established fact that slow charging generates less heat and is better for the batteries… then the 110 really is a good option.

Many days my commute is about 9 miles each way. I’d suspect that I could keep the battery in a comfortable narrow middling band of SOC with a 110 charge at home, which would be convenient and gentle.

I suspect many folks have that sort of scenario.

Thing is, when I need to drive someplace the next morning and go 140-280 miles in 24 hours (common), it means paying for big chargers or having a 220 source that hopefully is enough.
From experience on trips,
If it’s your only car expect to be paying for chargers even if you think you can get away with fast at home charging
unless you thread the kneedle and stay overnight at a hotel with available outlets (preferably 50 amp camper ones)

On my PHEV I would have about a 50/50 chance of a hotel with charging

Things that should be in range would encounter the winter and detours, if I had to charge I would have needed public options

From experience on trips,
If it’s your only car expect to be paying for chargers even if you think you can get away with fast at home charging
unless you thread the kneedle and stay overnight at a hotel with available outlets (preferably 50 amp camper ones)

On my PHEV I would have about a 50/50 chance of a hotel with charging

Things that should be in range would encounter the winter and detours, if I had to charge I would have needed public options
Of course your PHEV doesn’t care if you don’t charge because if it’s anything like my HAH, it has almost 800 miles of range when the gas tank gets filled (in 3 mins or less)….

The beauty of PHEV… why I’m a fan of that over anything. PHEV with bigger battery, smaller engine.

Of course your PHEV doesn’t care if you don’t charge because if it’s anything like my HAH, it has almost 800 miles of range when the gas tank gets filled (in 3 mins or less)….

The beauty of PHEV… why I’m a fan of that over anything. PHEV with bigger battery, smaller engine.
I was one that tried to keep 100% EV operating despite being a PHEV, so I did treat the car as much like EV as I could, that is why I know how painful and spotty charging infrastructure is to my common remote destinations .

Also why it pains me to see a variety of PHEV offerings being discontinued or removed from the future tax rebate law.

Also unfortunate the Ford Maverick appears to have been silently removed from getting a PHEV option during the refresh with instead a Tremor option and a BEV rumor.

Hoping the rumors are wrong, even though I’ve owned an antique BEV since before anyone had an electric car, this area is definitely not BEV friendly, even winter drives to the twin cities from here would be painful given the 160 miles to the first public station. (Usually only 40kw at that)

If I ever get a modern BEV, I want actual infrastructure, that is also, actually useable (not broken or camped on) otherwise for city use my PHEV (still waiting on parts) and antique provide as much functionality as a modern EV given the local limitations.

Or perhaps we accept that home charging covering the range of

110VAC - 40 miles a day at home charging
220VAC - 250 miles (32amp)

Is good enough for 95% of people without any real upgrade and if you have to go further you use the public charging station or you own this instead

I know folks with 2 plug ins that run strictly 110vac to both. Math is even better if you have 110vac at work.
That's quite a good summary. The only adjustment I'd make is that if you're going to do it with a Tesla Standard Range Plus it would be better limited to 200 miles. When conditions are less than ideal, 250 miles might be a stretch. You might be able to do 250 miles by driving slower than usual, avoiding using the AC, and that sort of thing. In my opinion it would be better to aim for 200 miles between charges and not have to fuss or worry.

But if you could plug in at work, even for a couple of hours, that would change everything.

I strongly suggest everyone on here and go to the Cadex battery University website. It is a great educational resource for all types of batteries... Lead acid, AGM, AGM TPPL, and lithium ion batteries.

Look up how much fun it will be to attempt to charge the batteries in even somewhat cold temperature... Aka 0 degrees Celsius.

And even much more fun to be had when it less than negative 10 degrees Celsius in aka 14 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.

Then look at a average low temperature map of the continental US.... See what percentage of this country gets average low temperatures less than 0 degrees Celsius in the winter. Yeah... It is a large portion of the US. Fun times to be had.

Even solid state lithium ion batteries can't even hardly take any charge at all below -10 degrees Celsius. It would take a extremely long, long, long time to get any charge into a battery.

And any colder than -10 degrees Celsius and... You can't charge them really at all.... Bummer... For a lot of people in many parts of the US.

Look up and read all about battery technology on the Cadex battery University.

Interesting reading there.

I strongly suggest everyone on here and go to the Cadex battery University website. It is a great educational resource for all types of batteries... Lead acid, AGM, AGM TPPL, and lithium ion batteries.

And any colder than -10 degrees Celsius and... You can't charge them really at all.... Bummer... For a lot of people in many parts of the US.

Look up and read all about battery technology on the Cadex battery University.

Interesting reading there.
I won't read It however on topic of EV's usually have a mode called pre conditioning that the battery is warmed up to appropriate level before charging ........The process is slower overall but works.

everyone feel free to ignore me... but I always enjoy Alec's Videos, and these are at least semi-cogent to this conversation.

Wow!
There is such little understanding of electricity that if some of the DIYers here attempt the installation of EV chargers in their homes (or, God forbid a friend's), there are going to be house fires....
PLease, hire a qualified, licensed, bonded electrician to make your EV charger installation.
Disclaimer: I am not an electrical contractor.... but I do work for them.

I am a master electrician, self employed, insured....blah blah.

What people fail to realize is that to charge an EV takes some serious kW. That is amps and volts. Generally 32 amps at standard 240v residential voltage.

The meter charger just avoids having to run a cable and put a 2 pole breaker in your panel, which may be impossibly expensive in some instances.

The "avoids panel upgrades" is a bit of a misnomer and advertising gimmick. But would fill a nichè market.

Back