Amsoil XL 5W-20 plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of this plan?

First, I was going to do annual drains with the Amsoil 0W-30 in my Hondas (2006 Civic, 2006 CR-V), but it turns out I like the way the cars drive with the 5W-20 better. I intend to drive less than 20,000 miles a year, but could see some serious cold weather in the winter.

Here are my priorities:

1. Scheduling auto maint based on time works better for me since I plan to be away from home often. If I know that I need to do it in a given month that is good, better than having the odometer or OLM telling me to change it at an inconvenient time, or worse forget.

2. CR-V oil filter is a PITA. Would like to minimize changing that.

3. Want guaranteed availability of my chosen oil & filter. Delivered to me is nice.

4. I'm mentally ill about oil like most everyone else here and 'want the best'.

So, my plan would be:

- Change Amsoil XL 5W-20 and the EaO (25K mile) filter in say, April or May.
- Change the oil only again in Oct or November.

That means 6 months on the oil and 12 months on the filter. FWIW the CRV's "normal" OCI is 10K/12 months on oil and 20K/12 months on filter, using standard 5W-20.

Sound good?

I think the XL line is a 7500 mile oil not a 10K oil. Checkout moble one i beleave they make a 5W20 that may go the distance but as always UOA's are important. I dont see why people change the oil and not the filter its best to change filter (6 months) then the oil (every year) or if you use the EaO filters keep it in for the full year but again UOA's will tell you if your engine is happy.

that sounds like a good idea if you want to stick with a 5w20. quoting AMSOIL's website

quote:

AMSOIL XL Oils provide 7,500-mile/six-month drain intervals or longer where stated by vehicle manufacturers or indicated by oil life monitoring systems

get in touch with Pablo from this board for your AMSOIL products.

Buy the 15K Amsoil oil... change it twice a year. Another (9K per six months) option would be regular Mobil-1 that's probably alot cheaper.

Beware of faulty ADBVs with that new Amsoil filter. See the Oil Filter forum here for more details. My choice would be either the Purolator Pure Ones or the Wix (Napa Golds). Anything more is overkill in filtering & overkill inside your wallet.

Hate to say this & I haven't bought one in years, but Frams have spent their entire lifetime in many 300K vehicles. That goes to show you that micro-carbon filtering is not that necessary.

Just my opinion from a non-guru on oils or filtering.

777;

I sure would if I could. The only 5W-20 that Amsoil makes is the XL. It's on par cost-wise with M1 as far as I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back