Amsoil Upset with FTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

Amsoil is sometimes corny, stupid, stubborn, even ignorant with their marketing, but I have seen no illegal activity.

Amsoil has to be squeaky clean.
cheers.gif
They annoy so many people with their marketing that if they were the least bit crooked the world would never hear the end of it.

Not long after I joined BITOG three years ago, I expressed my displeasure with Amsoil's MLM marketing system and the way many of its individual sales reps operated, and Pablo and I got into a friendly debate about it. I respect Amsoil, its products, and Pablo, but do still wish Amsoil would look into other types of distribution. Amsoil itself seems not to be guilty of the wrongdoing or shady ethics practices that other MLM companies have been. I have bought its products in the past and would certainly consider them again.

These FTC rules are for the birds. Amsoil would try to comply with them, without a doubt, but I can think of several other MLM operations that simply would not tell newly recruited reps about these requirements, such as the seven-day cooling off period, the lawsuit notifications, etc. And those rogue operations would get away with it for a long time. Think about how many people today get ripped off in various ways despite continuing warnings about those specific scams in the media. The rogue MLM outfits simply will not follow these new FTC rules.

And Amsoil would be at a grave disadvantage, quite unfairly. It deserves better than to be tarred with the same brush.

PS, what is worse, obnoxious commercials from other lubricant companies rammed down our throats on TV which I dont care to watch or an Amsoil sales droid;)

How about the new quaker state TORQUE full synthetic oil commercial? some here call Amsoil every type scam in the book and wont look at Amsoil but one look at this commercial and they are looking for the junk at wal mart, and if you see this commercial, you will know how much garbage is pumped into 30 second commercial.
Im glad I am a AMSOIL dealer and have used the product's for 8 years. wont use anything else.
yes it is tough to sell but I am building my own buissness that keeps me from working for some jerk.
all the naysayers laugh at me but I am getting major sales from large county maintenance shops asking for AMSOIL. just landed a local university with 450 vehicles. That happened from making the local advance auto manager a Amsoil dealer.

I think that people who use Amsoil actually believe in it cause once you use something that is better than anything else you ever tried a confidence comes with that knowledge.
some people cant handle a confident sales pitch
Every Amsoil dealer knows a slew of people who could really benefit from Amsoil but wont do it.
this is the definition of pure IGNORANCE.

I'd guess that most Amsoil products (in terms of sales volume) are now sold through retail outlets, so it's a moot point. As I mentioned, the other large market for them is fleet use. In this case you have a local dealer like Don Stefanik that services that commercial account.

I live in a fairly small southern city - about 160k - and there are 8-10 retail outlets that stock Amsoil products. So the stuff is relatively easy to find on the shelf if you care to look. I refer potential customers to a local shop that carries the products they're interested in and find that works well.

The days of Amsoil being sold primarily out of somebodies garage are gone - except for some of the old school guys like **** in Falls Church...
wink.gif

TS

I was just reading the news about Ford.....they are going to offer 75,000 employees "buy-outs"....never say never when it comes to business practices, and when the reigns of Amsoil are turned over to the Son.....things may change. Umh.........wonder what they will offer lifetime dealers? everyone else that is a dealer is a year to year thing. After the year, you renew...no more lifetime dealerships offered for many years. Money, some folks figure that you can never have enough, others (Bill Gates) gives most of it away. Life is a box of candy...you never know what you will get!

One of the major issues with MLM schemes, and I'm sure this is another factor with the FTC's proposed rules, is the Ponzi or pyramid problem: eventually you run out of people to recruit. Once you get friends, nearby relatives, and neighbors set up as reps under you, whom will they sell to? Other reps? That's too many reps for the product in a small area.

The feds investigated the dreaded Amway for several years in the 1970s before ruling that the company was legal only because there were bona fide products involved. That's not to say that anyone at the low end has really made any money from selling the stuff; many have lost significant $$$. Like it or not, many people lump Amsoil in with these other MLM outfits. And I've already commented on how many Amsoil reps were far more interested in setting me up under them than in actually selling the product.

Long-term, Amsoil would be better served by setting up territorial sales reps to prevent the problem of too many reps in an area poaching one another's sales. Your Amsoil territory could be a town, part of a city, a county, an area of so many square miles, etc. This is, very roughly and with exceptions, the approach that some of the cosmetics companies such as Avon have taken, as well as has Texas Refinery Corp. with its lube and protective coatings lines. Your wife/girlfriend calls Avon for a contact to get a catalogue and buy Avon products, and she will get the name of the one rep for her area/address (not the two dozen reps as might be the case with MLM companies).

The lifetime and more successful existing Amsoil reps could be given first crack at becoming territorial reps. There would be no more recruiting others to sell and splitting proceeds. The rep would sell the product, not the franchise. And isn't that why Amsoil exists in the first place: to move the product?

When Al passes the reins, it wouldn't be too surprising if his successor makes a change like this. That would be doubly true if the FTC makes it too onerous for an honest company like Amsoil to maintain the MLM system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back