Amsoil SS 5w30, 10K, 04 Chevy Tahoe, 206K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
It might be a good idea to use an OEM air intake and filter, as the Silicon figures are a bit high. The Lead figures indicate the main bearings seem to have an issue of some type and I would be inclined to cut the OCI to 5K and if that does not resolve the issue it might even be worth moving up a grade to an Xw40. If you do have an issue with the main bearings, thicker oil often helps.
Oddly enough the insolubles figure also seems a bit high, which is another reason to reduce the OCI.

Good observations, and I tend to think there is some type of air leak on the bottom end of the engine rather than all the focus on the AF. My reasoning - look at aluminum. Relatively low and not changing with miles. Almost like something happened between 11/30/14 and 6/29/15 or a bit sooner, spiking lead.

Pablo said:
Also - oil TBN depletion is not linear. It drops off rapidly, then levels of for an extended period of time. In this case (above) this certainly would NOT be a vehicle example for a 25K run, but a 15K would be doable.

I don't think the guys above are being all that fair, just jumping to conclusions. Thanks.

What sort of irks me is that Amsoil states one year or 25,000 miles (which they are now moving away from as extended OCIs were not a selling point)they do not state any specific engine type, basically they imply all engines can do this with no issues, no UOA required. However, it appears that very few vehicles in real life can actually do this and have a UOA that is acceptable for wear, TBN, TAN. Or, if one does go 1 year or 25,000 miles (most cars would be well under 25,000) maybe they are just betting the odds that the vast majority of cases will be in the 12-15,000 mile range and the oil will be fine and engine will still last 200,000 miles. Guess I never did like that 25,000 mile advertisement of theirs.

Last edited:
Maybe try some 10w30 since you're in Texas? Also I wouldn't be running amsoil ss in this application. Not sure on Texas prices but amsoil is way too expensive here in ny. Especially for 10k oil changes.

I'm paying $7.89/QT for the Amsoil SS line. I'm less worried about saving money on the oil and more concerned about why the silicon is high and the MAF is tripping 1-2 times per OCI. A new engine will more than make up for any savings by making an oil vendor switch at this point. With silicon coming into the engine I don't see switching to brand X making much of a difference. I also don't understand the comment that oil is getting in at the bottom of the engine as that wouldn't cause a trip of the MAF code.

Thus in the original post my question about recommendations for switching out the air intake system. As I've not been able to locate the source of the silicon, and already replaced the factory air intake box once, as well as tried 3 brands of air filter (Amsoil, K&N, and Wix) and seen no significant improvement in numbers. I also removed the air intake tubing itself and sprayed the external portion with silicon spray to see if that would seal up a pinhole that I may be over looking. While the numbers did improve on this last run, it wasn't significant enough (and the MAF tripped once) that I don't believe the problem was fixed.

Originally Posted By: dhellman12
I'm paying $7.89/QT for the Amsoil SS line. I'm less worried about saving money on the oil and more concerned about why the silicon is high and the MAF is tripping 1-2 times per OCI. A new engine will more than make up for any savings by making an oil vendor switch at this point. With silicon coming into the engine I don't see switching to brand X making much of a difference. I also don't understand the comment that oil is getting in at the bottom of the engine as that wouldn't cause a trip of the MAF code.

Thus in the original post my question about recommendations for switching out the air intake system. As I've not been able to locate the source of the silicon, and already replaced the factory air intake box once, as well as tried 3 brands of air filter (Amsoil, K&N, and Wix) and seen no significant improvement in numbers. I also removed the air intake tubing itself and sprayed the external portion with silicon spray to see if that would seal up a pinhole that I may be over looking. While the numbers did improve on this last run, it wasn't significant enough (and the MAF tripped once) that I don't believe the problem was fixed.

Typically over the years, we have seen if the air intake side has a leak, the Al and Fe and other numbers will be high in most engines. Your Al seems nominal and stable. But your Si is elevated, and your Pb spiked and stayed high (same oil), and Fe numbers too. Could be a hose or some PCV type leak sucking unfiltered air in your crankcase. I'm not saying you are not having MAF issues, but that may not be your only problem.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Agree with the above two posts....was considering ss for my wife's car but the above comments and uoa have eliminated this oil from consideration

Why would a singular UOA cause you to not consider an oil? Completely different engine and application. I would be very hesitant to use an engine example with MAF issues and work being performed. Just to be fair - how would M1 perform here? We don't really know. But look at the first oil he used. Maybe not as good as M1, but gives you an idea.

Also - oil TBN depletion is not linear. It drops off rapidly, then levels of for an extended period of time. In this case (above) this certainly would NOT be a vehicle example for a 25K run, but a 15K would be doable.

I don't think the guys above are being all that fair, just jumping to conclusions. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Am I missing something here?

Amsoil's Signature Series, which starts with a TBN of 12.2, ends up around 3.0 on 10k mile OCIs?

Why would one then believe the SSO series can actually endure 1 year or 25k without the TBN dropping out completely?

I think you are missing the work that is being done to the engine, TBN depletion isn't linear and this is a case for 15K interval, not 25K.

Do we have any uoa's of amsoil going 25k and holding up without a bypass filter? It's 3 times the cost of m1 and from what I've seen (and apparently I'm not alone), it really doesn't hold up any better. I have no dog in the fight and I'm not here to sell anything...but amsoil says it's good for 25k in non severe service... period...no mention of closely monitoring with uoa's....doesn't appear it holds up in many cases.

Show me that I'm wrong and I'll buy it...id love to change the oil in my wife's car once a year. I'll happily pay the premium for the time savings.

Do we have any uoa's of amsoil going 25k and holding up without a bypass filter? It's 3 times the cost of m1 and from what I've seen (and apparently I'm not alone), it really doesn't hold up any better. I have no dog in the fight and I'm not here to sell anything...but amsoil says it's good for 25k in non severe service... period...no mention of closely monitoring with uoa's....doesn't appear it holds up in many cases.

Show me that I'm wrong and I'll buy it...id love to change the oil in my wife's car once a year. I'll happily pay the premium for the time savings.

I didn't go back too far, but not a lot of UOA's for extended drains here.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4152352/2005_Tundra_V6_AMSOIL_OE5w-30,#Post4152352

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4016475/Amsoil_XL_5W-20_-_13,474_miles#Post4016475

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3960885/amsoil_ATM_10w30,_15k_miles,_w#Post3960885

Very few people put 25K miles on in under 12 months - so it's not "period". Where are these cases of the oil not holding up? People say stuff all the time on BITOG, but the oil does last as advertised and UOA's are not required, and don't have to be closely monitored.

Not sure where you are getting the 3X the cost from. Maybe you are comparing the M1 sale price to Amsoil suggested retail? Even then, 3 times?

Why would a singular UOA cause you to not consider an oil? Completely different engine and application. I would be very hesitant to use an engine example with MAF issues and work being performed. Just to be fair - how would M1 perform here? We don't really know. But look at the first oil he used. Maybe not as good as M1, but gives you an idea.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Am I missing something here?

Amsoil's Signature Series, which starts with a TBN of 12.2, ends up around 3.0 on 10k mile OCIs?

Why would one then believe the SSO series can actually endure 1 year or 25k without the TBN dropping out completely?

I think you are missing the work that is being done to the engine, TBN depletion isn't linear and this is a case for 15K interval, not 25K.

Good points Pablo. But you are probably wasting your time.
smile.gif

I didn't go back too far, but not a lot of UOA's for extended drains here.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4152352/2005_Tundra_V6_AMSOIL_OE5w-30,#Post4152352

I would concur that this UOA on OE 5W30/Tundra V6 is impressive.

Why would a singular UOA cause you to not consider an oil? Completely different engine and application. I would be very hesitant to use an engine example with MAF issues and work being performed.

You've a valid point here.

Guys,

I'm really not am amsoil hater. They say it's good for 25k...looks like it's not in most cases that's all. The above shows 2 UOAs around 15k and one with the oil past its life with 21...what am I missing?

Price wise M1 0w40 is like 4.25 a quart...delevered

Guys,

I'm really not am amsoil hater. They say it's good for 25k...looks like it's not in most cases that's all. The above shows 2 UOAs around 15k and one with the oil past its life with 21...what am I missing?

To answer your question of "what are you missing", the OP said that the vehicle is used to tow/haul,and it appears that there is some kind of leak in the air intake, introducing dirt into the combustion chamber. So, Amsoil says right on their website that this is a "severe" condition, which limits service to 15k miles. So, in this particular application, the user shouldn't try to extend to 25k. The TBN depletion would seem to prove that this is being used in a "severe" way. I have used the SS in my Ford because it is also used in severe mode due to many short trips a day, and in cold weather.
M1 is a good product, and cheap. Not hatin' on it. Used it over several decades. Not sure what the service life of M1 is in these conditions, though.

Amsoil service life from the website:
SERVICE LIFE

Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under Severe Service.
Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first.

Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16 km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles; excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty conditions.

Modified engines
(non-stock) and those using E85 fuel are excluded from extended drain recommendations

Just my opinion.
smile.gif

Guys,

I don't think you are a hater at all. You are trying to make the best decision based on all the information you can gather. I'm merely saying don't put much weight on a couple UOA's either way. That definitely IS NOT what UOA's are about. Amsoil doesn't just say 25K, I believe that's the part you are stuck on. Check this out: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back