Amsoil Saber Outboard Synthetic 100:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is NOT my boat. The boat is a 21' Pontoon with a 40 HP Yamaha. The engine had been on a steady diet of the cheapest 2-cycle oil available and had infrequent use. The boat finally sat over a year with no storage provisions on the engine ever. This engine would barely run and smoked real bad.

Replaced all fuel hoses and changed plugs. Fresh fuel with Amsoil AIO Injector oil even though this engine is a pre-mix at 100:1. Mixed Amsoil at the correct ratio and the engine started to run more normal.

I gave them some Amsoil Saber Outboard Synthetic (ATO) 100:1 pre-mix. It was in 8 ounce bottles. A full bottle with 5 gallons of fuel gives a 80:1 ratio. Now running it at that ratio. I like a heavier ratio in boat engines in the summer when water temps are over 80 degrees and can run to 94 at times. Smoke is reduced to almost nothing at idle, and running it is not visible.

The Amsoil seems to have cured the problems and is still cleaning the engine. Next project is to remove the built-in fuel tank and clean and install an in-line water/fuel separator.

smile.gif

If a yammi is smoking something is wrong. We are currently switching our fleet over to Yammi outboards and they barely smoke(only at startup when cold) when using a 50:1 ratio. We do not use the reccomened 100:1 ratio because we currently have a mixed fleet some of which require a 50:1 ratio and because of the fact that when using 100:1 ratios Yamahas have been known to have bearing failures do to corrosion. It seems that there is not a enoguh residual oil left in the crank case to keep them from rusting. I really cant see the point any how as oil is cheap compared to mechanical problems.
As far as a synthetic 100:1 oil. I cant see its worth when a Yamaha will run fine on any tcw3 oil at 100:1.

Blano,

The smoke I am refering to is on initial start-up when cold and has been setting for a few days. Notice, also I stated this is not my boat motor. Just trying to help a non-mechanical friend without doing the work myself.
cool.gif

[ July 13, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back