AMSOIL PCO 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My WOW was that someone actually ran PCO out to 22000 miles! It isn't designed nor marketed as an extended drain oil so getting a datapoint out to this extreme of the function is quite unique. I never make conclusions or get too optimistic based on single pass UOA, hence why I wanted to see this with at least 3 uoa's per interval to better understand where things go polynomial along the wear curve. Yes I do admire AME, from past experience and collecting lots of data that proved it was a solid performer, but if this was Rotella or Schaeffer ran out at this interval I would be scrutinizing it with excitement as well...it's a data point at the extreme of usage. To me that is exciting seeing as most systems either act predictable at this point or look more like the end of a trumpet (broad spread in response).

I am enticed to try this oil because, as I stated previously, it seems to have a similar ad pack as the AME- which was a solid performer in fleet trials, but total cost was not in its favor. The truly exciting thing to me is the price point of this blend- $2/cheaper/gallon than AME. Granted my experience with Delo 5W40 has been positive, but if I can find an oil that has a solid base oil blend and is parity or better than the current top dog (Delo 5w40) at a lower price point my clients could save immense amounts of dollars in asset maintenance/mile. If it delivers 3/4 the performance of AME at its price point it would be a solid investment for my clients over their current bulk supply- who has reliability issues. In the end it's all about reliability at a predictable cost level...optimization is a journey my friend and I'm glad to be along for the ride while getting to steer the wheel at times.

Pablo,

So in my mind there are no claims of guaranteed extended drain unlike AME or HDD (minus the ifs around EGR, modified engines, etc.). That's how I read it anyway.

pickled

Last edited:
I run the Amsoil PCO in my Yanmar engine. Don't run extended drain intervals. Before the price increases last year, the quantities I purchased this oil at calculated to $4.175/quart.
My little Yanmar diesel loves it; the engine is clean -- 306.9 hours on it in just under 500 days; stout oil for OEM OCI. Price point I cannot argue with ...

My 2 cents,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back