Amsoil in new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be changing oil for the first time in a new corvette which came with Mobile 1 Syn. I wanted to put Amsoil Syn 10w-30 in it but read in another post under new engine breakin that TooSlick[Amsoil rep] advised to wait 5000 miles before using Amsoil! GM says it is fine to use Syn oil from the beginning! Advice?

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I hate to go against TooSlick, but I say there would be zero problems changing now.

How many miles on the car?

500 miles at first oil change!

It had synthetic from the factory, change anytime

One of the questions is which weight the other warranty. What is the factory fill weight. Assuming that it is a 5W30 I would go with the Series 3000 5W30 in lieu of the 0W or the 10W. Of the three weights the 10W is the least probable to go extended drains (beyond 7500 miles) as the 5W and 0W have a better overall base oil and additive package. However, I use the 10W in 4 out of 5 cars I own with one being a twin turbo that I change out at one year or 5000 whichever comes first. On one I go 12,000 miles.

Your MAIN issue is not oil or weight but warranty. None of the Amsoil "SYNTHETIC" oils are API certified only the XL series are so if you have any warranty issues to be concerned with do not use Amsoil until the warranty is over, stay with Mobil 1. Do not rely on the Amsoil warranty as a reason to use the product. If your new Vette requires the API doughnut and if you are concenred that a warranty will not be honored due to a non API certified oil do not use Amsoil. You would eventually win but not drive that Vette for years waiting for the court to decide.

If any issue your only real choice is Mobil 1

[ February 21, 2003, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

If any issue your only real choice is Mobil 1

Royal Purple 5w30 is API certified, and would be a better oil for his Vette than Mobil 1. It's a thicker viscosity (11.4cst) which the LS1 will like, plus it has more moly (112ppm) (these values from my virgin sample I sent off a few months ago)

Yankee1,

I perfer to wait until oil consumption has stabilized until going to Amsoil. So I'd recommend running one more change of Mobil 1, 5w-30, out to say 4000-5000 total engine miles.

The regular Amsoil 5w-30 will work fine in this engine -
it is now ACEA A3/B4 rated for long drain, stay in grade performance. As long as you don't exceed GM's recommended drain intervals, API licensing is a non-issue. In 25 years of using the stuff, no one has ever raised this as a concern.

TooSlick

TooSlick, when I had my 98 Formula, which had the same LS1 engine that's in this Corvette in question, I didn't burn any oil during the break in period at all. Believe me, I watched the level like a hawk! I ended up switching to Mobil 1 at 1400 miles. I never had any consumption issues right up until I sold it (27k on it) The new owner does have oil consumption problems, but it could be PCV related too, or his driving style. They say those people who leave the transmission in a lower gear and rev it higher under light load (such as if you're driving around town at 3000rpm in 3rd gear with a light foot on the gas) will burn more oil in the LS1 engines.

I also like to get the break in wear metals out of the engine before going to an extended drain synthetic. that's the other reason I like to wait. If you don't mind draining the first batch of Amsoil after 5000 miles, then this isn't an issue.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:

quote:

Try and find old stock if you can though. The production of these filters has been shifted from Champion Labs to someone else, so the quality could possibly suffer.

Patman,

Is that true for the Ultraguard Gold as well as the standard PF44 filters? I was under the impression that only Champion was making the Ultraguard filters.

offtopic.gif
I was searching for something else last week, and I ran across a page that said production of the Ultraguard filters had been shifted to Delphi. If that's the case, I'd say the quality will be just as good as Champion. (I need to start bookmarking pages when I run across things like this.
pat.gif
)

[ February 21, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
As long as you don't exceed GM's recommended drain intervals, API licensing is a non-issue. In 25 years of using the stuff, no one has ever raised this as a concern.TooSlick

This does not mean it is a non issue. All it takes is one engine failure (his) to be an issue and they will not honor the warranty with this oil if they are aware of its usage. Plain and simple. Yes, win in long run but not worth the hassle when alternatives exist. Not in a $40,000 auto.

Why not go to the dealer and ask point blank and if okey get it in writing. Sounds reasonable to me?

[ February 21, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

quote:

quote:

Try and find old stock if you can though. The production of these filters has been shifted from Champion Labs to someone else, so the quality could possibly suffer.

Patman,

Is that true for the Ultraguard Gold as well as the standard PF44 filters? I was under the impression that only Champion was making the Ultraguard filters.

Yes, Champion only made the UPF filters. Not sure who in the US makes the regular AC Delcos, but here in Canada it's Dana, who also make Wix. But they don't use the same media as the Wix, or the same antidrainback valves.

I changed the oil in my 2002 Vette at 1,000 miles and used Amsoil 5W-30 ASL. I then ran it for 6,000 miles and had it tested. It came out very well. The results are posted in the "Used Analysis" section of this forum if you want to check them out. I am very happy with the oil, always have good oil pressure and re-filled with the same.

Since you can still buy them, I would also consider the AC Delco Ultraguard oil filter as well. You can buy them from several vendors.

My LS1 also is not burning oil while it is breaking in now with 4K on the clock. Factory Mobil 1 5W-30 changed at 500 miles, refilled with M1 5W-30 and changed at 1,500 miles, refilled with M1 10W-30 and changed at 3,000. Currently using M1 10W-30. Oil level stays at full mark and does not move. Car is driven very aggressive. Very frequent high RPM usage and as soon as the weather breaks it will see alot of track time.

quote:

I changed the oil in my 2002 Vette at 1,000 miles and used Amsoil 5W-30 ASL. I then ran it for 6,000 miles and had it tested. It came out very well. The results are posted in the "Used Analysis" section of this forum if you want to check them out. I am very happy with the oil, always have good oil pressure and re-filled with the same.

Since you can still buy them, I would also consider the AC Delco Ultraguard oil filter as well. You can buy them from several vendors.

Try and find old stock if you can though. The production of these filters has been shifted from Champion Labs to someone else, so the quality could possibly suffer. Hopefully whoever makes them now will use exactly the same materials. But you never know. Maybe AC Delco wants to save money by going to a cheaper design, sort of like what Fram did a few decades ago (they used to make good filters at one point in time)

quote:

Patman,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back