Amsoil HDD 5W-30, 9151 mi, 1997 Honda Civic Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the UOA for my vehicle. I added a little bit of the Molabrew(Schaeffer #132/Lube Control) mixture to keep the nitration value low. Plus, there was a little bit of oil burning with past oil changes of Ultra that I was hoping the #132 would address. It took care of the oil burning nicely.

1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Oil: Amsoil HDD 5W-30
Oil filter: Amsoil EAO filter
Air filter- Purolator
Total miles on vehicle = 245,223 miles
Miles on oil = 9,151 Miles
Make up oil= None

Code:

Current UOA Past UOA

Amsoil HDD 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30

Aluminum 2 2

Chromium 0 0

Iron 11 8

Copper 10 11

Lead 11 9

Tin 0 0

Molybdenum 40 85

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 0 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Vanadium 0 0

Antimony 4 4

Lithium 0 0

Potassium 11 0

Boron 34 108

Barium 0 0

Silicon 7 7

Sodium 13 6

Calcium 3063 2592

Magnesium 163 165

Phosphorous 975 752

Zinc 1166 904

Current UOA Past UOA

CSt Visc. @ 100C 12.8 12.1

Fuel (%)
Water (%)
TBN 3.54 4.29

Soot
Oxidation 39 19

Nitration 12 12

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the molabrew. What is the mix ratio and how much per quart of oil. Is shaffers 132 ms02 or a soluble moly?

Nice results. Engine in fine shape.

Any decent dino lube could go this far.

You are grossly under-utilizing your lubes. Both those UOAs show the lubes could easily have gone way further; would you be willing to greatly extend the OCI to meet an ROI?

How far did you go on the Ultra? And was there top off oil for that oci?

Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Nice motor. The motor produces the Uoa results,not,the Oil brand. You ran 2 high quality oils and got,substiantially,the same result with wear metals on each run. Proof.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

You are grossly under-utilizing your lubes. Both those UOAs show the lubes could easily have gone way further; would you be willing to greatly extend the OCI to meet an ROI?

I agree that either Amsoil or PU could go much further, up to about 15-16k miles with similar driving conditions.

But I don't feel good going up to 9-10k miles with conventional oil, I do go to 7-8k miles with dino in LS400 and 14-15k miles with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I agree that either Amsoil or PU could go much further, up to about 15-16k miles with similar driving conditions.

But I don't feel good going up to 9-10k miles with conventional oil, I do go to 7-8k miles with dino in LS400 and 14-15k miles with synthetic.
+1. I'm not trying to maximize the life of my oil:I'm trying to maximize the life of my car. 6 months, which is about 4500 on my M1 EP. Happy to let the dealer drain it and recycle it.

You both are presuming that the use of a dino oil somehow infers a lesser degree of protection.

That is proven to be untrue in many cases.

Look over the SAE study 2007-01-4133, and also see my 10k mile dino oil run for my wife's Villager.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2827445&page=1
Also read my article about UOA normalcy; there is clear real-world data showing these claims to be true.

Engine wear typically will continue to trend downward, even as an OCI moves out toward 15k miles. That is not predicated to the use of syn; it's generally true of all lubes.

What I would agree with is the basis of your statements ...
You don't "feel" comfortable doing something you consider being unacceptable. Fine. But that does not mean the facts and data are wrong. You are using subjective emotion to displace objective fact. There is nothing wrong with that; that's fine for you and many others. I, too, use emotion many times to make decisions. But that does not change the facts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back