Amsoil dual filter in Toyota Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

I just installed an Amsoil dual filter system in my 2001 Toyota Echo. It was a really tight fit and the two filters are located under the left front headlight. Oil capacity is now at 5 and one half quarts. The oil I'm using is Amsoil 5W30.

Any thoughts on how long I could go between oil changes? The engine now has 50 K miles and was not using any oil between (5K) changes. My commute is 40 miles each way, 80% highway at 65 Mph and little stop and go.

I'm planning to do an oil analysis at 10K and proceed from there.

I know there are many of you who think that Amsoil is nothing special. I don't believe the oil to be a miracle either but I think it is one of the very good ones.

I became one of the preferred customers (at Amsoil) and I am paying $ 4.45 per quart of 5W30. Not a bad deal.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

The Amsoil dual bypass seem to be an excellent product..so is the oil... I f I were you I would just change the filter and top off at 5-6000 mile and do an analysis at that point ...don't wait until 10000...you may find that 10k is too much...best not to find out the hard way....
BTW I think you will probably be safe for 15-20K just use a $20 analysis to make sure.

I'd do an initial oil analysis @ 5000 miles to make sure the system and engine are performing normally ...then change the full flow filter @ 7500 miles/6 months and test (oil analysis) and change the bypass filter @ 15,000 miles/1 year intervals ....If you run into any issues, drop me a line!

TooSlick

offtopic.gif

Highmiler, what kind of mileage are you getting out of your Echo? -Joe

I'd say that with that much highway driving, if the oil and filters can't make it 15,000 miles there is something wrong. Might test at 8 to 10,000 but a decent group II oil can make that easy distance.

Joee12:
I have kept track of the mileage since day one and it stands at 41.883 MPG. Last winter it usually was around 36 to 38 MPG and lately around 42 to 45 MPG. I live near Vancouver in British Columbia so winters are relatively mild, rarely less than 15 degrees (F).

Highmiler, that is awesome gas mileage!!! I wonder if you would see better mileage with a 0W30, especially during winter time? Just a thought, Joe

joee,

I have many local customers running the 0w-30 ...most of them are seeing about a 3%-5% increase in fuel efficiency, compared to a 10w-30 petroleum oil.

Tooslick

joee12 - TooSlick

I have been using synthetic 5W-30 since the car was new. I don't think that 0W-30 is going to make a difference that is measurable. Since I just did the conversion to Amsoil and installation of dual/bypass filters I'll wait until at least the first oil analysis at around 8K. Depending on the results I might go to 0W-30 or leave the 5W-30 in for longer.

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
Hi everybody,

The oil I'm using is Amsoil 5W30.

Any thoughts on how long I could go between oil changes? The engine now has 50 K miles and was not using any oil between (5K) changes. My commute is 40 miles each way, 80% highway at 65 Mph and little stop and go.

THANKS

100,000 miles should be no problem. As long as you keep your filters changed.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'd do an initial oil analysis @ 5000 miles to make sure the system and engine are performing normally ...then change the full flow filter @ 7500 miles/6 months and test (oil analysis) and change the bypass filter @ 15,000 miles/1 year intervals ....If you run into any issues, drop me a line!

TooSlick

I would do it more to time than mileage unless you are putting more than 12500 miles on in 6 months.

My personal change is 6 months, I don't do no where near 12500 in that time.

After the first couple samples you should be able to determine your personal filter change interval.

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
Highmiler, that is awesome gas mileage!!! I wonder if you would see better mileage with a 0W30, especially during winter time? Just a thought, Joe

He is probably figuring out his gas mileage per the imperial gallon, as that was the measurement we used to have in Canada before they switched to liters.

As a result, the MPG readings are higher. His 45MPG would be 37.5 MPG in US gallons. The imperial gallon is 4.54L the US gallon is 3.785L.

Patman:

I am aware that most users of this message board are in the USA and the MPG figure I gave is in US gallons.

In imperial gallons the number is 50.245 MPG. This with the automatic transmission. As you can see, I treat my car very well.

msparks:

I expect at least 250K miles with this car. I'm sure the engine will last that long if not longer.

I'm driving 30K miles per year and the plan is to extend my oil changes to the highest mileage possible (if oil analysis confirms this).

On my previous car, a 91 Chevrolet Caprice, oil changes were every 25 K miles with the Amsoil bypass filter system and Amsoil 5W-30.

Sold the car at 240K miles to a friend about a year and a half ago. He is at 280K miles now and the car still uses only half a quart every 5K miles.

I expect my Toyota Echo to be harder on the oil (higher rpms and probably higher temperatures in the engine). My Caprice had an extra oil cooler.

I also own a 98 K1500 Chevrolet pickup truck with presently 65K miles and the Amsoil by-pass system, 3 oil changes so far and oil consumption is about 10 ounces every 6K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
Patman:

I am aware that most users of this message board are in the USA and the MPG figure I gave is in US gallons.

In imperial gallons the number is 50.245 MPG. This with the automatic transmission. As you can see, I treat my car very well.

Then that is really amazing! I guess you are just like me, you figure out MPG the US way!

patriot.gif

It definitely makes sense doing it that way, since gas isn't sold in imperial gallons anywhere in North America anyways. My car is only getting a lowly 17.2 MPG lately.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back