Amsoil Drain Interval Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's hard to believe, but there are a few things that I would like to clarify. I'm sure Tooslick will agree.

The 25000/1 year that is on the back of the bottle is not an absolute! One must realize that is for non-severe service and that the indicated drain interval also has a time period of 1 year as well.

Anyhow, for those that are interested in Amsoil I would encourage you to download the following PDF and print it out. This will help you in determining the proper lube/drain interval.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Here are some points to consider:
From the brochure
quote:

Extending motor oil drain intervals does not void new vehicle warranties. To affect vehicle warranty, the oil must be directly responsible for the engine
failure. If the oil didn’t cause the problem, the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.
1. UMR means use equipment manufacturer’s recommended drain
interval. N/A means the oil may not be used in the application.
Where AMSOIL recommends up to 2 or 3 times longer, it means up to
2 or 3 times the equipment manufacturer’s recommendation. AMSOIL
service interval recommendations are whichever comes first – months,
miles or hours.

3. Oils specifically designed for an application are shown in shaded boxes.
4. Blocks not shaded indicate oils that are not specifically formulated for these
applications and are therefore the oil of second choice. Their performance
in the application would still be superior to a similar viscosity
conventional oil.
5. Oils shown in boxes maked “N/A” should not be considered due to
viscosity or performance requirements.
All drain intervals can be extended (with analysis) indefinitely by using
AMSOIL By-Pass Oil Filtration and an AMSOIL Oil-Wetted Foam Air Filter.

7. All AMSOIL lubricants are warranted by AMSOIL INC. (see AMSOIL
Product Warranty G-1363.)
8. Oil Analyzers Inc. offers oil analysis services for all engine and component
applications. Consult your price list for more information.
9. AMSOIL SDF Oil Filters must be changed at least every 6 months regardless
of miles driven. Replace other brands of oil filters at the engine manufacturer’s recommended filter change interval.

10.The AMSOIL 20W-50 (AMV, ARO), 15W-40 (AME, PCO), 10W-40 (AMF,
AMO), 5W-30 (HDD), 0W-40 (AFF) and SAE 30 (ACD) meet specifications
for the wet clutch system.
11.Meets “Honda Service Fill” recommendations of 10,000 miles (XLM
5W-20).
Notice: Modifications to engine will change service intervals.
Notice: More frequent service may be required under severe service
operating conditions. Regular oil analysis recommended for establishing
drain interval. During long periods of idle service, base service on hours
of operations.

I would like to also emphisize that working with a knowledge dealer to determine your proper interval is probably a good idea.
As in all sales, you must make sure who you are working with is looking out for your best interest.

I believe that most folks on here are here to help.

msparks, thanks for posting this. I think it is important for Amsoil customers to realize this, or they could cause premature engine wear/damage by not following these rules. Again, the main problem is you have to look hard to find these things. Amsoil slams the 25k mile drain all over the place from there adds and bottles. Good to see you care abou this.
smile.gif

I have been thinking of changeing to Amsoil, but the one year thing has been holding me back, although I guess it shouldn't, as I don't use the 3000 mile or 3 months now. My problem is I am retired so don't drive as much as some. But when I do, it's for at least 20 or more miles, and I live in the south, where it don't get too cold. And haveing two cars I don't put that many miles on them each. I just can't see that the oil just setting there in the car is hurting it, so I can't see the one year, haveing to change it by time. For when I drive it is far enough and long enough to evaporate all the water out of the oil, that might get there, by the seting and getting hot and cold. I change it at 5,000 miles now, and not by time. The 5,000 is what the one car calls for and the other one 7,500, but I change them both at 5,000. So I am thinking of changing to Amsoil, do you really see any reason not to???????

I forgot to mention, I am not going to keep changeing at 5000 miles if I go to Amsoil. Probably more like 20,000 or maybe 25,000. Other wise it would be too much money, to me to change, as I said I am retired, not on a high income either.

As quoted from above
"The 25000/1 year that is on the back of the bottle is not an absolute! One must realize that is for non-severe service and that the indicated drain interval also has a time period of 1 year as well".

Please, why oh why cannot the bottle say that? How many bottles of oil are sold directly from their web site without ever seeing a dealer or speaking to one that knows what is really intended here?

Again, I believe the dealers should form a concerned committee and put forth what the public has to say about the Amsoil statements and ask AJ to re formulate the marketing effort to fully explain the oil drain intervals.

You didn't answer anthing. As for a dealer, I don't have one, if I were to go the closest city, about 75 to 100 miles away, I probably could find one. Not going to do that. And You had nothing to say about the one year drain. As I said, I see no reason for that, at least in my case. As I don't see much difference between it setting in a bottle or in the car, just setting shouldn't ruin it, if it would there is something wrong. It seems like its just some more hype like the 3000 mile oil change. I haven't seen any good arguement for doing it. Just do it, because I said so.

Others here will tell you to do some analysis before you go super extended. I successfully run Amsoil 10W-30 in my Jeep 4.0 for a full year, with filter changes each six months. This equates to about 20 - 24 K miles. My analyses looks great. but, I have an engine that is easy on oil and has a large 6 quart sump. There are lots of variables. Give us some specifics. What kind of vehicle, engine, weather (temps), useage. etc.

Well, as I said I am retired, so don't drive all the time. I have a 2000 Toyota Camry, I drive to town to shop, about 20 some miles round trip, and to the bigger city about 130 miles round trip. I also have a 1996 Lincoln towncar, that has a new motor, with about 18,000 miles on it. I drive it on about 3 1500 mile trips a year, plus also to the city about 130 miles round trip. I live in MS. so the weather is pretty nice most of the time. Probably put around 5,000, to 7,000 miles on each car per year. Sometimes more. They neither one use any oil, the Camry maybe a pint in 5,000. It has around 34,000 on it, as I was taking some trips with it.

quote:

Originally posted by pruntyc:
Well, as I said I am retired, so don't drive all the time. I have a 2000 Toyota Camry, I drive to town to shop, about 20 some miles round trip, and to the bigger city about 130 miles round trip. I also have a 1996 Lincoln towncar, that has a new motor, with about 18,000 miles on it. I drive it on about 3 1500 mile trips a year, plus also to the city about 130 miles round trip.

Yikes
shocked.gif
Does the Toyota have the famous sludger engine?? If so, I would watch my drain intervals on that.

As far as the lincoln goes, I really don't think you would get much benifit from running a synthetic in that since you are not really putting on that many miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back