Amsoil DEO 5W-40, 14k miles, 2007 Cummins 6.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum the other day and thought I would post the results of the latest Blackstone UOA from my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ 6.7L Cummins diesel. I've had eight UOAs done on this truck, but this report shows the last six only.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Cummins-Powered Ram, 2007 was the first model year for the new 6.7L Cummins B-Series engine with the latest sophisticated emissions system. I had a lot of trouble with these new systems and was at the dealer several times for warranty work. They even replaced the turbocharger at 24k miles, which is probably a $3k job. I was getting fuel dilution of the oil, which caused Blackstone to recommend changing the oil at 3,000-4,000 miles! I thought that was ridiculous, with 12 quarts of DEO and a Fleetguard filter costing around $90. Fortuitously, after my warranty ran out in 2010 I hit a bad pothole and all the emissions components fell off my truck. Fuel economy went from 16 to 18 MPG, and fuel dilution of the oil was no longer an issue. Blackstone is now recommending 16,500 for my next change. I've accumulated about 8k miles since the last oil change and am planning on changing the oil filter soon, since this interval is going to be so long.

OilAnalysisSep13_REDACTED_zps83f4a98c.jpg

Wow, I didn't know that hitting a pothole could a fix fuel dilution problem.
wink.gif

It also seems have brought down the Iron wear rate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Joel-looks good-which Fleetguard filter do you run?

I've been using either a Donaldson EFL 7349 or Fleetguard LF16035 with every oil change. I'm thinking about using the LF9028 (combination full-flow/bypass filter) for my between-oil-changes filter change.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
wink.gif

The slightly elevated iron number on the January 2010 report may be due to changing the turbocharger.

It appears that your gradual increase in intervals is working just fine. Your careful approach will pay off if this truck becomes a "keeper".

Welcome to the site.
Plenty of other Cummins owners here; other brands also well represented.

UOA looks very good.
Extend your OCIs to get the ROI.

welcome2.gif

The 2006's and early 2007's 5.9L had a recommended oil change interval of 15k. With the 2007.5 6.7L they dropped it down to 7.5k. It appears there are more than a few of us who have sought after and hit the same pot holes with excellent results in both mileage and the OCA. Such littering has also allowed us to easily bump up the OCI to where it used to be with the 5.9L. I've used the Rotella Triple with a Baldwin filter and have gotten good results similar to yours even under continuous, very heavy pulling. I've thought of going to a synthetic but can't find a rational reason to do so.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Joel-looks good-which Fleetguard filter do you run?

I've been using either a Donaldson EFL 7349 or Fleetguard LF16035 with every oil change. I'm thinking about using the LF9028 (combination full-flow/bypass filter) for my between-oil-changes filter change.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
wink.gif

The slightly elevated iron number on the January 2010 report may be due to changing the turbocharger.

Could be, but the average of the iron reading before hitting that pothole is 50, and the average after is 33.

TBN is also holding up better through the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back