Amsoil Bypass cut-away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I managed to cut open the used by-pass element that I recently replaced from the F150. This element is the 8" media AKA BE 110. Amsoil makes 3 different sizes a 6,8, and 10" spin on filter for the by-pass systems. The 10" is the size of the actual filter and you can see in the photo's the media is 8". You can tell there is quit a bit of surface area for filteration as the oil enters from the outside of the filter and goes inward where it returns to the engine/sump. This is known as radial flow filtration.

When you scroll through the photos you will notice that the disks are darker on one end. My theory is this is the part of the filter that did the most filtering. The lighter colored disks probably had alot more life left in them. I had this filter on for 2 years and 20,000 miles attached to my 4.6L Triton V-8 F150.

This spin on by-pass filter element is in my opinion one of the best designs that I've seen. It is very easy to change and lasts a long time. I know the elements cost a bit more but over the long haul easy of maintenance, oil drain interval, and equipment life outweigh just about any other filter on the market.

If you have any questions let me know

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/saxnflute/album?.dir=/Amsoil+By-Pass+Filters

Mike,

I'm not sure I understand the concept. Does the oil flow down from the top through the disk to the bottom, then back up through a tube, or flow down the outside of the filter and have to pass through the media to get to the center? It looks like the first. That would explain why the top of the filter is hotter than the bottom. My filter has been draining for over a week now. I suppose I need to get motivated and do some cutting.

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
Mike,

I'm not sure I understand the concept. Does the oil flow down from the top through the disk to the bottom, then back up through a tube, or flow down the outside of the filter and have to pass through the media to get to the center? It looks like the first. That would explain why the top of the filter is hotter than the bottom. My filter has been draining for over a week now. I suppose I need to get motivated and do some cutting.

You definately don't have the concept. The oil comes in through the small holes on the outside then is pushed from the outside of the filter towards the inside tube then back into the engine. If you look at the cutaway filter on the link you can see this. BTW the way the disked are constructed there would be no way possible for oil to flow downward like you think. That is the way that the Toilet paper filter works It's called AXIAL Flow which means the oil of the TP filter flows along the axis of the filter element. Which is possible to lead to channelling of the oil through the filter. Also with the Toilet paper filter you have very little surface area of filtration, yes you have several inches of media for the oil to get cleaned but not much surface area compared to a filter like the Amsoil, Oilguard and others that have the radial flow.

I'll send you a pic to help you understand.

[ December 03, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Here is a diagram of the flow of the oil though the bypass filter.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back