Amsoil ASM 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
This is my first post and hope you guys can help me to the following questions:-
a. Currently used on my honda 1.5 SOHC vtec engine
b. Is 0w-20 too thin for hot climate - average temp between 30 to
40 centigrade.
c. travelling average speed is between 80 to 100kmph and usually
not longer than an hour.
Am quite skeptical about the thinness of this oil though HONDA had called for this vicosity for fuel economy. Will the oil stay in vicosity when engine reach normal operating temperature or traveling non stop for 3 to 4 hours between the speed of 110 to 130 kmph. Although, I'd gained slightly better milage but rather worry the enigne protection using such a thin oil.

Last edited:
cSt @ 100c is 9 which is not far away from 10 of a 30 wt. Atleast its not a 7.8 or so. SSO 0w30 should be able to do better at very high temps tho.

HT/HS is 2.8 so should be high temp shear stable. SSO 0w30 is better though at 3.2

Noack volatility no idea but should be high enough not to be consumed.

For winter it should be fine. I am running it in my vehicle for cold winters up here so that I can avoid creeping under the vehicle at subzero temps.

Amsoil says 15k miles should be okay for this oil. So, 10k should be fine under the stopngo and crazy cold?

I ran Amsoil 0w-20 avg'ing 85 mph daily for 100 miles a day. 11k miles on the oil. Analysis was great. It's a Honda, you'll be fine.

Simply put - it's the perception of thinness in your mind bugging you about the viscosity of the oil, not the oil or the engine complaining. People drive faster than that in our southern climate (over 100°F for many days) and have no problems.

Another way to put it.....Honda engines, including V6's, have been designed to use and have been using XW-20 for about 5 years. Do you really think you will be the first person to push the envelope? There have been no premature wearouts, no seized engines, no protest at Honda - nope just more engine manufacturers moving over to XW-20.

Currently running Amsoil 0w-20 in our Saturn Vue which is powered by a 3.5L V6 Honda drivetrain, the same one in the Odyssey.

Very pleased so far! Very hot weather or very cold weather, this is one of the best oils on the planet IMO.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Simply put - it's the perception of thinness in your mind bugging you about the viscosity of the oil, not the oil or the engine complaining. People drive faster than that in our southern climate (over 100°F for many days) and have no problems.

Another way to put it.....Honda engines, including V6's, have been designed to use and have been using XW-20 for about 5 years. Do you really think you will be the first person to push the envelope? There have been no premature wearouts, no seized engines, no protest at Honda - nope just more engine manufacturers moving over to XW-20.

I run 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum (which is inferior to the Amsoil IMO) for 10,000mi with no problems. Honda engines are generally easy on oil (although the 3.5L seems to be a bit harsher due to fuel dilution) and Xw-20 has shown quite well in lots of UOAs. I haven't read much on the D15, but I would imagine it is the same deal.

Jon

Last edited:
I was wondering if i should run Amsoil ASM 0W-20 or would it be OK to run the SSO 0W-30 in my 04' Mazda6 Duratec. I'm in Florida where it's hot 11 months out of the year. My car specs 5W-20, but I wasn't sure if the SSO 30 would be better protection for the heat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EricZoom
I was wondering if i should run Amsoil ASM 0W-20 or would it be OK to run the SSO 0W-30 in my 04' Mazda6 Duratec. I'm in Florida where it's hot 11 months out of the year. My car specs 5W-20, but I wasn't sure if the SSO 30 would be better protection for the heat.

I shared your views and will consider the next oil change to SSO OW-30 . Anyway, after reading all the postings am confident of extending the OCI of ASM OW-20 currently running in my car.

Quote:
Those are fairly heavy tires, at least, compared to others. I hope you don't have an uneven weight distribution that isn't easily fixable with re-balancing....a problem the heavier tires sometimes seem to have.

No. You don't even need synthetic.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
Those are fairly heavy tires, at least, compared to others. I hope you don't have an uneven weight distribution that isn't easily fixable with re-balancing....a problem the heavier tires sometimes seem to have.

No. You don't even need synthetic.

????

Just because it's hot in FL, doesn't mean you need a synthetic. I also think the ASM will stand up to heat as good as SSO, just not as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back