Amsoil Antifreeze Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you use it? What do you think? Going 7 years or 250,000 miles will make it very cost effective. Does it work? I can't find any independent tests.

I haven't used it for the reasons listed below... But I would imagine it being an Amsoil product it stands the test of time as they claim. Everything else that bares their brand name is excellent so this should be no exception... That being said...

Regular anti-freeze is cheap enough that I wouldn't bother with it. I'm an Amsoil fan, but oil/atf/PSF is where I draw the line.

To me, draining and refilling your radiator yearly is the best maintenance you can do and it's cheap/easy to so why bother with 7 year anti-freeze then have to flush/fill the whole system when you can do it yearly and be assured your cooling system, which is a major component of your engines system is in good shape!
wink.gif

While I really like Amsoil's lube products, I would pass on the coolant: most coolant is ethylene glycol. Amsoil's is propylene glycol. It's been along time since I calculated boiling point elevation, freezing point depression, and heat transfer..... but I seem to remember that Propylene Glycol does not transfer heat as well as ethylene glycol.

also, my Dodge Truck (or maybe its my Jeep....) specifically states that propylene glycol coolants should NOT be used. while it does not state the reason, it does lend some credibility to my memory.... regardless..... I personally would not risk it without more research - especially if you live in a hot climate and/or tow

Don't worry, tomcat- While Amsoil's coolant may not technically meet Mopar's standards... I'm sure it EXCEEDS them.

[censored], Amsoil's freeze point EXCEEDS that of any ethylene glycol coolant- higher=exceeds.

It's boiling point is lower, but don't let that worry you... it just means that Amsoil coolant's propensity to boil over EXCEEDS that of standard EG coolant.

See? Amsoil just exceeds them all!

I'm not talking about freezing point or boiling point - the fact is that ethylene glycol transfers heat better than propylene glycol. There is an SAE white paper on the topic that shows the results from their testing. SO.... if you tow a heavy load through the mountains while running your AC in hot weather, ethylene glycol will cool your engine better than propylene glycol. Is PG fine for the average application? sure. will I usea PG in my tow vehicals? nope.

Look closer, tomcat. I was being sarcastic.

Higher freeze point and lower boiling point are NOT a plus. Though I'm sure Amsoil could spin it as such.

The Amsoil stuff appears similar to the ELC coolant being used in heavy trucks now. If it is... it would be hard to beat. The ELC stuff is supposed to go for 600,000 miles in a semi truck engine. Though not a real issue for most gasoline engines, ELC handles cavitation on cylinder walls better than the reds or greens of earlier years. Like ELC, the Amsoil stuff seems based on Organic Acid Technology. The ELC stuff is far cheaper to buy though. I recently flushed and filled my semi. It came with ELC and I stayed with that. I got a 50/50 mix of ELC at Love's truck stops for about $10 a bottle. Would most likely be cheaper at a traditional retail outlet, but most other outlets didn't have anything like it. Most still had the old red that required SCA's. The ELC stuff is maintenance free... no need to test and recharge SCA's. It has a better heat transfer rating than the traditional red stuff as well.

The Technology and Maintenance Council that set the standards for truck specifications in the industry is recommending going to ELC for all engines. So... propylene glycol, or at least the Organic Acid Technology style, must not be a bad thing, and heat transfer is not an issue. Especially when it is now being used frequently in heavy trucks that are regularly pulling gross vehicle weights of 80,000 lb, even in mountains, like mine. I went with the same stuff in my Jeep Liberty Diesel. It is wet sleeved just like my Cummins.

Last edited:
What application are you wanting to try it in Gebo?

I have run Sierra and then Amsoil's old purple version of PG coolant and felt it was better than Sierra. I have been using the new Amsoil stuff since it came out and feel it does pretty well. I put the Amsoil PG coolant in my Taurus that has TSBs for problems with the cooling system. I ran the Amsoil PG for about 4 years and 25k miles. My radiator went out so I just replaced the coolant at that time. It had a little bit of rust hue to it that I know is from the cooling system problems my Taurus has. It basically chews up coolant pretty good. Considering it went 4 years I though it did pretty well.

Whether I would go as long as Amsoil recommends I don't know.....
I do notice that the heavy trucks did have some PG based coolant because of EPA fines and such. Also less of a chance of your engine bearings and other wear parts being damaged if the PG coolant was to get into the oil per a blown head gasket. So there are some benefits that are not mentioned much on this board.
I think the heat transfer difference is marginal and blown out of proportion. How many people really run that ragged edge?
I think TiredTrucker brings up some very good points.

Last edited:
Lemme get this straight, oilboy: After 4 years of using Amsoil coolant in your Taurus, the radiator leaked and the antifreeze had a rusty hue. And this is supposed to be IN SUPPORT of Amsoil? Gawd, I'd hate to see what the negative reviews look like.

I mean, one could head down to the local auto parts store and pay less money for a proven and trouble-free coolant that's good for 5 years/100k (I'm thinking G05 for your application, though you didn't mention the model year).

But hey-maybe that seems like too much trouble considering that with Amsoil, you get to pay TWICE as much for the privilege of using a coolant that doesn't meet the factory spec, can't be acquired locally, doesn't transfer heat as well as SuperTech, and apparently turns rusty after only 4 years. It's a wonder they haven't taken over the market.

Originally Posted By: onion
Lemme get this straight, oilboy: After 4 years of using Amsoil coolant in your Taurus, the radiator leaked and the antifreeze had a rusty hue. And this is supposed to be IN SUPPORT of Amsoil? Gawd, I'd hate to see what the negative reviews look like.

I mean, one could head down to the local auto parts store and pay less money for a proven and trouble-free coolant that's good for 5 years/100k (I'm thinking G05 for your application, though you didn't mention the model year).

But hey-maybe that seems like too much trouble considering that with Amsoil, you get to pay TWICE as much for the privilege of using a coolant that doesn't meet the factory spec, can't be acquired locally, doesn't transfer heat as well as SuperTech, and apparently turns rusty after only 4 years. It's a wonder they haven't taken over the market.

You seem to see you bashing Amsoil a lot in Amsoil threads......Get a Life.......

So a radiator side tank seal going out means a certain coolant is bad! Or some rusty hue that happened with other coolants/brands as well. The coolant was in the car for 4 years. But of course you will use that to put down Amsoil just because you are anti Amsoil. Oh brother.....

It's a 98 which is known for having cooling system problems. So all in all it did a good job. The 96-99 Ford Taurus cars had some major cooling system issues, but apparentely you were not paying attention to what I wrote!
Why don't you help someone who needs help fixing their vehicles instead of hijacking Amsoil threads and with your little smear campaign.

I'm just sayin'- that's hardly a testimonial.

And "smear campaign"?? Sorry if you don't approve of my opinion. But I stated my reasons and I stand by them.

I was looking at using it in my personal vehicles. 4 Runner, LX470, LS400, GS300. I currently use the Toyota Long Life at 30,000 mile changes.

I haven't used Amsoil's PG yet. I do use LOWTOX PG blend. Once I settle on cooling systems, then I may opt for the longer use Amsoil product.

The only down side I can see to it is that you can encounter some system failure that will require draining of the coolant over its life span (thermostat, hose, etc.). When that occurs, it's not just a "get a couple of gallons" deal. You're talking $$$ or some fancy filtering (or like I have, a dedicated coolant drain pan).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back