AmazonBasics 5W/40 revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Navi
The fact is they are all the same and what really matters at the end of the day is UOA. It could be literally any brand...Mobil, Amsoil, Redline...what matters most is UOA.

You keep saying this but the reality is that at the end of the day the UOA is relatively worthless. What matters is the certifications or approvals that the vehicle requires and that the oil meets or carries. It has been shown by the analysis companies that oil quality is not detectable via UOA.

A. I looked into it many years ago by calling and emailing the company. Warren is the maker of many off or generic branded oil like Supertech and many others. They do not have different lines because its a budget operation. Their phone number is on the website.

B. This is a general discussion of the oil.

C. Please do not include sexual inuendos in my threads like "hard on". If you dont want to discuss the oil then dont discuss it, but leave my threads clear of any offensive content. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dishdude
A 6 pack of M1 is frequently on sale at Costco for $26.99, not sure I see the value here.

This - why would you go with a generic vs. M1 for $3 less? I see those cases of M1 at Costco now (didn't realize they carried 0W40). I just don't get the obsession with cheap/off-brand motor oil here. I'll just sit over here and use Liquimoly..hahahaha.

No two machines and their operating conditions are the same.. it's entirely possible Lube X can be a rockstar in one engine and a dog with fleas in another. The best you can do (with a sufficient amount of) data/UOA's on a lube, is draw some broad conclusions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
No two machines and their operating conditions are the same.. it's entirely possible Lube X can be a rockstar in one engine and a dog with fleas in another. The best you can do (with a sufficient amount of) data/UOA's on a lube, is draw some broad conclusions.

thumbsup2.gif
True, and why following blanket statements can cause problems for some.

So basically Warren has told the OP that the product is the same and the only difference is the label?

I can't say I'm surprised because it wouldn't make business sense to use a unique blend for every product if you didn't have to.

Last edited:
A. I looked into it many years ago by calling and emailing the company. Warren is the maker of many off or generic branded oil like Supertech and many others. They do not have different lines because its a budget operation. Their phone number is on the website. - oils a daily traded commodity, as such the price and availability of it's refined products (base stocks) will fluctuate. As a blender, Warren is at the whim's of these market fluctuations and will source it's base stocks accordingly. Having said that, it's not only naive but very presumptuous of you to think Warren doesn't have differing formulas for finished product from time to time, based on it's ability to source.

C. Please do not include sexual inuendos in my threads like "hard on". If you dont want to discuss the oil then dont discuss it, but leave my threads clear of any offensive content. Thanks. - fair point. To me it's not an offensive saying, but point taken none the less. I apologise..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
So basically Warren has told the OP that the product is the same and the only difference is the label?

I can't say I'm surprised because it wouldn't make business sense to use a unique blend for every product if you didn't have to.

Because raw materials of a lube are subject to supply and cost, both statements can be true. At any given time Warren may use the same raw ingredients across multiple brands but may also change things up at any given time based upon it's ability to competitively source those ingredients. Their API license permits them to do this with some restriction.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The fact is they are all the same and what really matters at the end of the day is UOA. It could be literally any brand...Mobil, Amsoil, Redline...what matters most is UOA.

You keep saying this but the reality is that at the end of the day the UOA is relatively worthless. What matters is the certifications or approvals that the vehicle requires and that the oil meets or carries. It has been shown by the analysis companies that oil quality is not detectable via UOA.

This. A UOA will give you a general idea about the health of the equipment, contamination levels, and about the continued serviceability of the lubricant, that's about it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

This. A UOA will give you a general idea about the health of the equipment, contamination levels, and about the continued serviceability of the lubricant, that's about it.

Playing devils advocate here. Wouldn't "serviceability of the lubricant" be a deciding factor? For example, if you had two lubes with the same relative price and one was no longer serviceable at half the mileage then the other lube could be considered "better".

A. I looked into it many years ago by calling and emailing the company. Warren is the maker of many off or generic branded oil like Supertech and many others. They do not have different lines because its a budget operation. Their phone number is on the website.

C. Please do not include sexual inuendos in my threads like "hard on". If you dont want to discuss the oil then dont discuss it, but leave my threads clear of any offensive content. Thanks.

You've been here before, right? Different names, different times?

Just call them up. They will tell you Mag1, Supertech and AmazonBasics are all the same oil.

No they are not and no they won't. We only "think" SuperTech and Amazon Basics are the same oil. I contacted Warren Distribution and they told me SuperTech and Mag1 are not the same oil.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Playing devils advocate here. Wouldn't "serviceability of the lubricant" be a deciding factor? For example, if you had two lubes with the same relative price and one was no longer serviceable at half the mileage then the other lube could be considered "better".

That's typically not going to be the case if both oils have the same approvals and have been tested to be suitable for the same service intervals however. Typical "serviceability" of the lubricant is far longer than most care to run it.

According to Blackstone Labs you can't even draw those broad conclusions:
Well, we're no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another, that's for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc. Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don't see a lot of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

According to Blackstone Labs you can't even draw those broad conclusions:
Well, we're no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another, that's for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc. Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don't see a lot of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

The "broad" conclusions should not be used for comparison purposes, as Blackstone correctly stated.

You can however make broad conclusions about just that one lube... that is of course if you have a volume of data to work from, as previously stated. I would never (at least I hope I haven't) make a over reaching statement like "X lube is best based on UOA's"..I can and will say something like, "It appears X lube holds up well in fuel diluted engines" etc.

"Best" in this context is a subjective term best reserved for use by those in the marketing dept....

Last edited:
We may never know. It's all a guessing game.

These oils come from the same blender but are blended to spec and price point per the company requesting them.

It doesnt matter what they put in it as long as it brings back a good UOA.

You DO realize that the only things that a UOA reliably tells you about an oil are TBN, viscosity, and flashpoint, correct? Wear metals (other than a condemnation point for Fe @ 150ppm per Doug Hillary's tests) are more a reflection of the oil itself rather than the "wear" of the engine. Spend some more time in the UOA section in the posts older than three years old for more info.

If an oil stays in grade, has sufficient TBN reserves and flashpoint numbers, and returns an Fe number lower than 150, there will be no statistically different numbers returned on UOAs. Emotions and histrionics cannot replace data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back