Amazon buys Boeing jets from Delta, WestJet as aircraft prices drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly are they taking over? They are buying excess inventory of planes and using for shipping currently for their own selling platform.
They are taking over everything like the plane industry they have enough they don’t need more in my opinion. And they have taken a lot of truck driving jobs too.

They are taking over everything like the plane industry they have enough they don’t need more in my opinion. And they have taken a lot of truck driving jobs too.

They did not take over the plane industry. They just buy some planes because 1) it is cheap because airlines need to get rid of old planes, and 2) they know for sure their own need will be able to use them in baseline, so it is cheaper to own the planes instead of leasing them. The amount of jobs is still the same for flying and maintaining the planes, like whether you buy a used Hertz rental car vs buying a new car from a dealer, the same amount of cars will eventually be on the road, with the same amount of drivers. I don't think you would say it is better to crush the functional old cars so you can sell more new cars, do you?

They did not take over the plane industry. They just buy some planes because 1) it is cheap because airlines need to get rid of old planes, and 2) they know for sure their own need will be able to use them in baseline, so it is cheaper to own the planes instead of leasing them. The amount of jobs is still the same for flying and maintaining the planes, like whether you buy a used Hertz rental car vs buying a new car from a dealer, the same amount of cars will eventually be on the road, with the same amount of drivers. I don't think you would say it is better to crush the functional old cars so you can sell more new cars, do you?
What I am saying is they need to quit with the capitalism stuff. Give others a chance too. Maybe another company wanted those planes or cars. This is why I always steer clear of Amazon plus I don’t like the CEO.

If someone else wanted those planes they would have offered more for them.

Even if Amazon doesn't use the planes it is still pretty smart to buy them when they are cheap. A year or two from now they may be worth significantly more.

If someone else wanted those planes they would have offered more for them.

Even if Amazon doesn't use the planes it is still pretty smart to buy them when they are cheap. A year or two from now they may be worth significantly more.
I wouldn't say they would worth more.

However in financial engineering, you can see them depreciating the plane and deduct profit from it as an expense, then if they ever sell the plane it becomes long term capital gain even if they break even, at a discount since LTCG has a lower tax than income tax rate. Or if you have an off shore shell company you pay 0% capital gain in some nations.

Welcome to accounting, greed is good, and you can buy the law.

What I am saying is they need to quit with the capitalism stuff. Give others a chance too. Maybe another company wanted those planes or cars. This is why I always steer clear of Amazon plus I don’t like the CEO.
I thought it was because your parents wouldn’t let you...

“Quit with the capitalism stuff”...eh? So, they should, what, give stuff away? Not make a profit? Not buy airplanes when they’re extraordinarily cheap?

Well put. And remember, capitalism isn't charitable by nature. That's not a political comment.
It's acknowledgement of the nature of the beast.
How much of the law is for sale?....that gets you into the political end of the pool.

I thought it was because your parents wouldn’t let you...

“Quit with the capitalism stuff”...eh? So, they should, what, give stuff away? Not make a profit? Not buy airplanes when they’re extraordinarily cheap?
Yes they won’t let me and none of us like the CEO can’t list why here but we hate that they take over everything. I’m not saying they shouldn’t make profit, I just think they need to give others a chance as well as they have taken so much away from the retail stores that it is really hurting them. They now have trucks too that have taken over other delivery jobs.

Yes they won’t let me and none of us like the CEO can’t list why here but we hate that they take over everything. I’m not saying they shouldn’t make profit, I just think they need to give others a chance as well as they have taken so much away from the retail stores that it is really hurting them. They now have trucks too that have taken over other delivery jobs.

These are all the same arguments that were used with WalMart before Amazon really started getting big about 6-8 years ago.

I know American Airlines have a bunch of 767 sitting in the desert so maybe Amazon can buy more if needed.

Well they are not any worse than Walmart or Target, Microsoft or Oracle, so I am not seeing how they are ok but Amazon is not.

What makes you think that? Amazon owns so much that I don’t see how any of the retail stores are surviving.
Because not everything is cheap and affordable to be shipped. You ever tried buying milk and have it deliver to your house? Try it and tell me how much it cost. It is not $1-2, or even $4 like our California price.

Amazon will remain an online store for a reason and Walmart will still be 3x bigger decades down the road for a reason. Small mom and pop got rolled over decades ago over time, it is not Amazon who killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back