Amalie, Wofl's Head, Havoline or SuperTech Dex VI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on having my transmission flushed and change the filter in my 03 Buick Rendezvous; I am torn between using a "full synthetic" or running Dexron VI as it meets Dex III requirements and people seem to be having good results with it. I'm leaning to using the SuperTech Dex VI as well as installing a new pan with a drain plug.

But Amalie and Wolf's Head (same company I guess) and Havoline have some really good deals on synthetics... Any thoughts?

Want cheap and good enough - do the ST. Want something that stands up to extremes - Mobil 1 ATF ...

I know it's not what you mentioned, but have you considered Valvoline Maxlife? ~$17 a gallon at Walmart (since you're already considering Supertech.) and it's full synthetic.

If its a keeper bite the bullet and get Amsoil ATL and do a line off exhange, believe me you wont regret it. Contact member Pablo by PM for a good delivered on the door price.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I know it's not what you mentioned, but have you considered Valvoline Maxlife? ~$17 a gallon at Walmart (since you're already considering Supertech.) and it's full synthetic.

Yeah, I just saw the WalMart price on that one... Probably makes the most sense.

+1

+1 "Full synthetic"
smile.gif
I replaced the power steering ATF in a 350K Camry with Maxlife and a year later it's still smooth
and quiet. I've used it in the transmissions of two Gen 4 Camrys but neither had any problems so I can't say the fluid changed anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matt6127
But Amalie and Wolf's Head (same company I guess) and Havoline have some really good deals on synthetics... Any thoughts?

I wouldn't have a problem using any of those synthetics in my automatic transmission esp. at $4 to $5 per qt. I did my most recent ATF flush and fill with Amalie Mercon V. I would have used the ST Mercon V but they were out at my local store at the time I was doing it.

Originally Posted By: Matt6127
I'm planning on having my transmission flushed and change the filter in my 03 Buick Rendezvous; I am torn between using a "full synthetic" or running Dexron VI as it meets Dex III requirements and people seem to be having good results with it. I'm leaning to using the SuperTech Dex VI as well as installing a new pan with a drain plug.

Dexron VI is a mix of group III,IV,and V baseoils. Thus the "synblend" moniker. All DEX VI is "synthetic".

I've had good results with the Walmart ST Dex VI. I've done line flushes to switch from Dex III to Dex VI. Shifts are very smooth and quiet. I change out the transmission fluid on my vehicles between 20,000 and 30,000 miles depending on the usage of the vehicle. Since the ST Dex VI is officially certified as meeting the standards required of a Dex VI fluid, I figure it is as good as all the others that are certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back