Altima Cop Car

Altima Cop Car.jpg

Shows what happens when American companies abandon sedans. Four of 'em ready for delivery. This is a consortium of several small St. Louis County PD's that (for good reason) combined after Ferguson. Sporty wheels for a cop car though. Thought they'd probably spec and pay extra for a downgrade to steelys so as not to look ostentatious.

Last edited:
This is nothing new to me. Back in the 80’s one of the neighboring cities to Dallas, TX had a whole fleet of Volvo cop cars.

Bet they got "em cheap - comparatively speaking. CVT trannies? Would love to know maintenance costs overall vs other fleet vehicles.

Is it a forfeiture vehicle?

From my understanding the Dodge Chargers have solidified the front end issues when they first rolled out police fleet sales. The initial Chargers were one of the worst vehicles I've seen in my 20+ years as a cop. Engine issues too but it was the front ends that were constantly failing. And the replacement parts failed as well. Newer ones seem to be much better and reliable.

This is nothing new to me. Back in the 80’s one of the neighboring cities to Dallas, TX had a whole fleet of Volvo cop cars.

IDK know what happens in Texas. In NY there are state wide fleet contracts. Usually the state police are the volume buyers. They put in a bid for xxxx fleet vehicles. bids received and contracts made. At such time municipalities can jump on those contracts and purchase the same spec vehicle at the same cost. Frankly, usually the local cities and towns and villages snub this rout and spend a lot more on what they "want" in their police package. At least that's how I've seen it in Westchester NY. I was involved in the mess that is police vehicle purchasing for years. I can only speak to my cities marked police vehicles....we have mostly Explorers. By the time the light package and lettering done it's about 50k.

Back