Alternator Choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alternator on my mothers beetle just bit the dust and I've been shopping around for a replacement 90A alter. So far these are the only three that stand out... Which one would you take.

-Bosch locally rebuilt $223 - 1yr warranty
-AC Delco Rebuilt $292 - Lifetime warranty
-Valeo Brand New - $341 - 1yr warranty

What engine is in her Beetle?

I would take the local Bosch rebuild, if it is indeed a Bosch rebuild (not just a Bosch core rebuilt with chinesium parts).

Its the 2.0L 8V. I'm in Canada and Rockauto is in the states so it would be an expensive shipping bill and would kill any savings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scurvy

I would take the local Bosch rebuild, if it is indeed a Bosch rebuild (not just a Bosch core rebuilt with chinesium parts).

I doubt a local rebuilder would use Chinese parts. Local rebuilders would be my first choice.

But I would bring in the alternator to a local rebuilder. Maybe he can find something simple like a brush or diode bridge. It may be cheaper to repair yours.

For that kind of money I'd get a junkyard one. Yeah it'll have some miles but hopefully be built better. Maybe find a VW forum that lists cross references or "will fits"?

Originally Posted By: scurvy

+1

we happen to have a shop about a mile away from my shop that rebuilds them,, I had one done from a vw a few months ago and paid $135.00
Auto parts wanted $190.00 with my discount.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Its the 2.0L 8V.

Which year, and if possible, engine code? There are 10 different 2.0 liter 8 valve engines available in the New Beetle.

FWIW, VW has used alternators made by Valeo, Bosch & Hitachi. Valeo & Bosch have replaceable (but different) voltage regulators. Hitachis do not. The voltage regulator is often all that's needed to get the alternator back working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back