Alternatives to Blackstone for oil analysis?

...to Blackstone. And what makes an alternative lab better than Blackstone?

In my case, I use Blackstone for all my UOAs except for the engine oil on my track car. For that, I use SPEEDiagnostix for a few reasons: (1) from mailing to receiving the report, it's consistently 7 days, (2) they understand my use case much better and can give more detailed recommendations, (3) FTIR for oxidation oil analysis vs TBN, (4) RDE instead of ICP for the elemental analysis. Overall, I've been happy with them for this particular use case, for other lower requirement use cases I still use Blackstone.

The main advantage another oil analysis lab would have over Blackstone is the use of gas chromatography for fuel % numbers. BS infers their fuel % numbers based on the flashpoint of the used oil. Otherwise, BS is a solid choice. They have tons of data in their database to create their "universal averages". This lets you know how your results compare to averages of the same engine type. They also have very personalized comments. The more details you give them, the more personalized their comments.

NAPA tests are about $16 or $17 and easy to obtain. TBN included.

I would pay extra for BS to not give me their "good buddy" comments. Seems they push everyone to extend their OCI.

I use to use Polaris but have now have used NAPA for several years now.

Last edited:
NAPA tests are about $16 or $17 and easy to obtain. TBN included.

I would pay extra for BS to not give me their "good buddy". Seems they push everyone to extend their OCI.

I use to use Polaris but have now have used NAPA for several years now.
Thanks,man,

I would pay extra for BS to not give me their "good buddy" comments. Seems they push everyone to extend their OCI.
I have done several UOAs through BS. They only recommended extending my OCI when I checked the YES box to the question "Are you interested in extended oil use?" When I checked NO, they didn't make any comments about extending my OCI.

If you live near a John Deere dealership, they sell oil analysis kits. I paid $16.88 plus tax at my store. Much cheaper than what NAPA wanted.

Polaris/OAI are who I've settled on, primarily for the accurate fuel dilution figures, and they are easy to get through the AMSOIL website. They also give oxidation, which Blackstone doesn't.

The kits are a few more dollars, but you get more data, so I think that makes it worth it.

Does anyone know which labs do viscosity testing at both 40 deg C and 100 deg C on used oil?

ALS/Wix/NAPA says they only do 40 deg C viscosity testing on new oil.

Thanks.

Indestro

Back