Alt for toyota t-4 tranny fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Why the Lube Guard red if T-IV is not that bad? Honestly, though, that's the only way to run T-IV if you're committed to that fluid.

I run the LR in all my trannies. Unless I`m using a Synthetic fluid.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Why the Lube Guard red if T-IV is not that bad? Honestly, though, that's the only way to run T-IV if you're committed to that fluid.

What is your drain-refill (or flush) interval when you've got the LR in the tranny?

Originally Posted By: lexus114

What is your drain-refill (or flush) interval when you've got the LR in the tranny?

In my RX since it`s all wheel drive (a little more strain on the trans.) I do it every 30k. I`d probably stretch it a little more if it was fwd. But it`s easier to drain/fill the trans on this thing than it is to change the oil.

The old Mobil 1 ATF that states it is compatible with T-IV is still in stock at many Advanced Auto parts stores in my area. Just check the back of the bottle. I may have to stock up for my 2008 MINI Cooper S. I did 2 drain and fills with Mobil 1 at 23,000 miles and it shifts the same or smoother. I plan to do it again around 40,000. VW which uses the same transmission sent out a service bulletin advising owners to get the Aisin 6 speed automatic flushed every 40,000 miles. However the MINI version does not have the VW version fittings that allow for a flush!

Toyota T-IV is fine. Unless you believe that Aisin sat around a big table at the quarterly meeting and collectively said (and I'm translating from japanese) "let's spec a c*** fluid for our _____ transmission so it will blow up 16 minutes after the warranty expires". There are hundreds of thousands of AW transmissions with this spec fluid that are humming along just fine with lots of miles on them. Is it a fill for life fluid? No. Is it a spectacular fluid? Probably not. Is it a serviceable ATF? Absolutely. Too many on this site overthink things. There is a reason it was specc'd for your transmission. It was not an afterthought. If I had a AW transmission that specc'd this fluid (oh, wait--I do), I would do a yearly drain and fill with the T-IV and get on with it (which I do). I, for one, am leery of magical fluids that supposedly meet a ton of widely varying specs.

Originally Posted By: JDD
I, for one, am leery of magical fluids that supposedly meet a ton of widely varying specs.

Yeah I think we`re all a little leery of that to some degree.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Toyota T-IV is fine. Unless you believe that Aisin sat around a big table at the quarterly meeting and collectively said (and I'm translating from japanese) "let's spec a c*** fluid for our _____ transmission so it will blow up 16 minutes after the warranty expires". There are hundreds of thousands of AW transmissions with this spec fluid that are humming along just fine with lots of miles on them. Is it a fill for life fluid? No. Is it a spectacular fluid? Probably not. Is it a serviceable ATF? Absolutely. Too many on this site overthink things. There is a reason it was specc'd for your transmission. It was not an afterthought. If I had a AW transmission that specc'd this fluid (oh, wait--I do), I would do a yearly drain and fill with the T-IV and get on with it (which I do). I, for one, am leery of magical fluids that supposedly meet a ton of widely varying specs.

+1

Though some on here will say something along the lines of:

"[insert OEM fluid spec here] is absolute garbage, your transmission will blow up and the world will end tomorrow if you use it, not to mention you have the IQ of a slug if you use it. Use [insert "magical" aftermarket fluid here] and your transmission will last a gazillion miles, the sky will open up and angels will sing the most beautiful music you've ever heard bringing you to tears, and your IQ will obviously rival that of Albert Einstein."

Maybe an exaggeration, but not by much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back