All-Terrain but Winter Biased

Just off the chat with Tire Rack and some research. I've narrowed down to two tires for my Kona N-Line AWD:

Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015 215/65R16 98H three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF)
12/32" depth 27" dia 6.6" tread width 25 lbs

Nitto Nomad Grappler 225/55R17 101H XL three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF)
12.6/32" depth 26.77" dia 9.17" tread width 28.51 lbs

I'd like to know people's experiences with these tires. In the winter, if you have dedicated winters, what were your experiences between all-terrain 3-peak and dedicated winters? I'm leaning towards the Geolanders (25 lbs) vs the Nitto (28.5). Considering that the Geolanders will be on my Kona from late-July-early Sept for summer off-road, and from late Dec to late Feb during the winter. I'm thinking that the Nittos (225/55R17) are going to be a bit too much tire for the Kona to handle and affect the MPG too much (compared to the Geolanders 215/65R16).

Why? What location? What are the tire size options listed in the owners manual?

Did you test the 16" or 17" rims for clearance already? especially if higher end fancy N-lines use larger diameter rotors or selected suspension parts?

On my SUV, dedicated winter Blizzaks easily trumped the 3pmsf all-terrains on my pickup.

Kona... off-road? What lift kit(spring spacer) did you use? Isn't the N-line lower than the lesser Kona's?

My stock tires are 235/45R18. So I'm sizing just slightly either way going from a 26.3" diameter stock to at most 27". But there are limited off-road tires for my car, this is why my list has narrowed down to the Geolander and Nitto.

When i say off-road, really I mean limited off-road to mostly fire-service with the occasional berm. The N-Line is not to be confused with the Kona-N. The N-Line has the same clearance as the other Konas, except in AWD and multi linkage suspension in the rear (instead of a beam).

I don't want to have 3 sets of tires. But I'm pretty set on UHP all-seasons outside of July/August, and late Dec-March. I live in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia. We spend much of the winter between 0C and 10C. But there are the occasional 1 week dips to -10 C or lower. I intend to access the local ski hills though. Thanks!

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Yokohamas because they are lighter and I don't think I need anymore of a rugged tire than those.

Why not winter tires?
Why AT?
Some AT tires are able to pass the test just because the tread shape/geometry. Their winter performance is usually lacking compared to regular winter tires.

Krzyś

I really don't want to have 3 sets of tires; takes up too much space in my garage.

Isnt the 3 peak easy to get on a tire? I always thought if you wanted winter performance without the tire then a good compromise was an "all weather". The downside though, at least with Nokians who basically invented that segment (at least their marketing says so) is that they wear quite faster then either AT/AS or dedicated Winters.

Isnt the 3 peak easy to get on a tire? I always thought if you wanted winter performance without the tire then a good compromise was an "all weather". The downside though, at least with Nokians who basically invented that segment (at least their marketing says so) is that they wear quite faster then either AT/AS or dedicated Winters.
Harder than M+S. It’s an actual test, but the bar is set pretty low for North American standards

Conversely, are there any all-weather all-terrains (other than Nokian) that y'all can recommend that would fit a 215/65R16? The Nokian Outpost AT APT is an intriguing alternative to the Geolander.

Last edited:
Running Toyo Celsius on one car, not bad at all, they track well and are quiet. You can them in this size, this just an example.

Running Toyo Celsius on one car, not bad at all, they track well and are quiet. You can them in this size, this just an example.

Thanks for this. I'll consider too.

Thanks for this. I'll consider too.
They make the Celsius for passenger vehicles and also as Celsius CUV for crossovers/sport utility. I don't know if the CUV is available in the 215/65/16 or what the difference between models is (load capacity/tread depth/ratings).

When you started you wanted a winter biased all terrain tire. There are quite a few all weather tires with more aggressive tread and siping but they are not AT type.

I've been on some pretty challenging fire service roads that almost required skid plates, good 4WD/AWD and true AT tires and others that my FWD Honda Civic on all seasons had no issues with. Same goes for some "seasonal limited use roads" that were quite muddy during summer months. Now what you are getting into and avoid that even if you need to turn around which is not easy in some places requiring a lot of backing up to a more clear area.

For winter, true winter tires would give you the best safety. You would need to decide how much performance you will be doing during July/August that would require the UHP tires vs the other 6 months of non winter use. If planning for the trails more I would lean toward the Nokian with the Aramid sidewalls or if the GY Wrangler with Kevlar is an option. Sharp rocks can really make for a bad day. Speaking of which, what is the spare tire situation for the Kona. Donuts don't do well in the out of bounds areas. Get yourself a decent flat repair kit and know how to use it and a decent compressor like VIAIR for if you need it. Full size spare is highly recommended for trails (and beach/towing etc).

I could get a lot more into the plan for the worst survival stuff when dealing with going in FS trails and getting dark etc. Common sense and communicate plans is the biggest so if you are not back by XX time friends will know to maybe look. My cousin does a lot surveying work in remote areas with FS roads. He carries an Iridium satellite cell as a back up, extra warm and wet weather gear and a host of self recovery stuff and self protection. He has had to make camp multiple times due to a sudden rainstorm and then darkness. He has used the phone to say I'm good, I'll see you in 2 days and I'll call otherwise.

Might I also suggest the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail which is popular with many Subaru and other SUV owners for daily use with good trail and has the 3PMSF and available in 215-65-16. Kuhmo Crugen HT51 might also be an option, many say similar to Michelin Defender LTX M/S which get many all around good reviews from trails/daily drive/winter.

In the 225-55-17 Nokian Encompass AW01, the Wildpeak AT trail again, and the Toyo Celsius CUV

Last edited:
They make the Celsius for passenger vehicles and also as Celsius CUV for crossovers/sport utility. I don't know if the CUV is available in the 215/65/16 or what the difference between models is (load capacity/tread depth/ratings).

When you started you wanted a winter biased all terrain tire. There are quite a few all weather tires with more aggressive tread and siping but they are not AT type.

I've been on some pretty challenging fire service roads that almost required skid plates, good 4WD/AWD and true AT tires and others that my FWD Honda Civic on all seasons had no issues with. Same goes for some "seasonal limited use roads" that were quite muddy during summer months. Now what you are getting into and avoid that even if you need to turn around which is not easy in some places requiring a lot of backing up to a more clear area.

For winter, true winter tires would give you the best safety. You would need to decide how much performance you will be doing during July/August that would require the UHP tires vs the other 6 months of non winter use. If planning for the trails more I would lean toward the Nokian with the Aramid sidewalls or if the GY Wrangler with Kevlar is an option. Sharp rocks can really make for a bad day. Speaking of which, what is the spare tire situation for the Kona. Donuts don't do well in the out of bounds areas. Get yourself a decent flat repair kit and know how to use it and a decent compressor like VIAIR for if you need it. Full size spare is highly recommended for trails (and beach/towing etc).

I could get a lot more into the plan for the worst survival stuff when dealing with going in FS trails and getting dark etc. Common sense and communicate plans is the biggest so if you are not back by XX time friends will know to maybe look. My cousin does a lot surveying work in remote areas with FS roads. He carries an Iridium satellite cell as a back up, extra warm and wet weather gear and a host of self recovery stuff and self protection. He has had to make camp multiple times due to a sudden rainstorm and then darkness. He has used the phone to say I'm good, I'll see you in 2 days and I'll call otherwise.

Might I also suggest the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail which is popular with many Subaru and other SUV owners for daily use with good trail and has the 3PMSF and available in 215-65-16. Kuhmo Crugen HT51 might also be an option, many say similar to Michelin Defender LTX M/S which get many all around good reviews from trails/daily drive/winter.

In the 225-55-17 Nokian Encompass AW01, the Wildpeak AT trail again, and the Toyo Celsius CUV
Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I live in Metro Vancouver British Columbia where the winters are relatively mild (but can dip down to - 5 to -10C for a week or so). I do take my car to the local ski hills.

Other than the winter and late summer off-roading, I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus All Season 4 that I switch into the rest of the year. Not looking for serious serious off-roading, just on some maintained to somewhat less maintained fire roads to reach the back country hiking trail start points that my Focus ST with 4.5" clearance simply can't handle. The Kona has 6.7" clearance. The tires I'm considering will give it another 0.6".

Car is a Hyundai Kona N-Line AWD. So I'm def looking for some off road capability. The Nokians are the top contender so far.

Last edited:
https://www.skid-plate.com/hyundai-kona-skid-plate. I don't know if any domestic versions or if listed on the Kona forums. Some of those stupid rocks show up from nowhere.

Honda didn't make any skid plates for the 16-22 Pilot. No-Lo Designs and J-Sport make them. My wife put some nice gouges in hers while on beach excursions. I don't think I hit it on the trails yet but definitely glad it is on there. Pilot only has 7.3" clearance unlike the Sequoia she had prior had factory skid plates and 10" clearance.

I have had the G015's on my F150 for about a year now. Have 20k on them and did our typical Midwestern winter with them. They are a great tire. At this point, I wouldn't consider buying any other tire.

After much consideration, I've decided on the Nokian Outpost APT from Dec-Mar and July-early Sept (casual and occasional off-roading). It is available in 215/65R16. It's a relatively new tire offering from Nokian.

I'll def post a review once I receive these. But based on the few reviews out there, the Outpost APT seems to provide a pretty good mix of all-weather capability (that Nokian is known for) and sufficient off-roading capabilities consistent with casual and occasional off-roading. I think this one was aimed squarely at competing against the Yokohama Geolander G015 given these have been out for quite a while now.

www.nokiantires.com

Nokian Tyres Outpost APT - Extend your adventures / Nokian Tires

Nokian Tyres Outpost™ APT is an all-purpose-terrain tire for crossovers, sport utility vehicles and small light trucks.
www.nokiantires.com
www.nokiantires.com

www.adventure-journal.com

Review: Nokian Outpost APT Is the Dream Small Adventure Rig Tire

The new standard—or should be—for adventurous crossover drivers.

Back