All purpose kitchen knife, what's a good one?

I don't have one but a friend swears that Harbor Freight sells a ceramic kitchen knife that he likes a lot.

FYI, the knife I was going to buy for my son was made by a company called Coolina. Good looking stuff.

We have a variety. I like my ultra sharp, 8” damascus Japanese chef knife. Looks nice and cuts nice.

I am not a super heavy chef at home but i do go for Rada cutlery for all my knifes. Cost friendly, well constructed and they brag about how they use all American made materials in their knifes.

Are you asking for brand recommendations, or style of knife recommendations?

If you need a good style of knife I highly recommend a good chef’s knife. Versatile for many uses in the kitchen.

My typical one is actually a cheese cleaver from Ross, it claims to be made in Italy. I use it as if it is a Chinese cleaver but smaller, it cut, chops, scrap, slice, tender meat, etc. I probably could do the same with other knives too but this thing seems to have a harder metal and is sharper.

I used to have a "Montana" brand knife that claims to have "high carbon German steel" that I got as a gift. It isn't very good. The handle is plastic and the steel stain, gets dull pretty fast too.

If I go buy new knives I would try to hit it and get the highest pitch sounding one, that means they have the hardest steel (stainless only).

Our main set are Henckles, Professional S line. Excellent classic German style knives, had 'em for 20 years. Lost one and added some other knives over the years including the Victorinox 5" and 8" chef's knives, and a Global 6" serrated tomato/sausage type knife. The Victorinox knives live up to their reputation as being excellent for the price point, but I'll reach for the Henckles (especially the larger one) first. The Global is terrific, I prefer the blade shape to the Henckles it replaced.

As for Cutco, they are very expensive and the handles have an unusual shape that I personally don't like. They're made in the US, wasn't aware they sold through Costco. My mother in law has a set. One cool thing - they have a lifetime warranty and free sharpening. I sent her entire set in (you pay to ship them there and a nominal return fee), got them all back sharpened fairly well, and a few of them had been replaced with new. She does not take care of things and I suspect the edges on them were too far gone.

jeff

Just ordered this 7" Nakiri knife, currently on sale for $28.50 with the 25% off clip coupon:

Looking forward to trying it, but if it doesn't cut veggies any better than my cheap $9 Thai Kiwi knife, it is going back. :)

Henkels or Wustoff are always solid choices if you have a little money.

If you dont the miracle blades do a solid job for cheap knives.

I have a miracle blade II knife that spent 20 years on the counter and in the dishwasher (which you wouldnt do with something nice) before it dulled.

I went the high end knife route at one point. But if you look at restaurants, most use real basic knives and just sharpen often. I prefer than now as well. The Thai knives are decent and so are the Kiwi. I prefer a real thin blade.

I have a few sets of really, really good knives! The link above is what I believe to be the best 8" chef knife for the price. You see this knife uses worldwide in restaurants .... excellent overall prep knife. The second link is for a slicer. Another excellent choice. Both have antimicrobial handles as well. Hold up to a good number of sharpenings to!

My everyday set (I cook a lot!) is Henkles Pro series. Very nice knives. They go on sale at their location Elsmford NY around Thanksgiving. I'd bet they do at other main locations as well.

I have several Victorinox , I like them.

Honestly, for $12 a pair, these Thai Kiwi knives are hard to beat. And you won't cry if you break it, unless you break it on your finger.

Going to return that $28 Mosfiata which is just too darn big and keep these.

gzkcF3T.jpg

Still intrigued by this Zwilling Twin Fin II, but if I buy it, I'm afraid I'm going to be too preoccupied with babying it instead of chopping veggies, so what's the point?

Still intrigued by this Zwilling Twin Fin II, but if I buy it, I'm afraid I'm going to be too preoccupied with babying it instead of chopping veggies, so what's the point?

Well a premium tool is meant to be used, not babied, so go for it and have at it :) $60 is a reasonable price for a knife like that. Seems like a bit of a redundant style if you already have a chef's knife and a smaller utility knife, and I prefer a blade with a curve to a flatter style like this (I almost never use the Santuko for this reason) but that's personal preference.

jeff

Back