All Domestic Flights Grounded in the USA last night due to a Massive FAA NOTAM Computer Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not understanding. The sentence you highlighted in bold was not a backup or disaster recovery scenario. It was members in a cluster in the same location sharing the same disk drives. All the systems are sharing the workload. You can pull out one system at a time to update it. The other systems in the cluster pick up the workload. When one system is returned to the cluster another one is pulled out of the cluster. Over a few hours all the systems have been pulled out, updated and started back up again. All the systems in the sysplex share the same set of disk drives/database. No movement of data within the sysplex.
Ahh, got it. Are the disks/database all in the same location? If so, what happens if the building they're housed lost power or burned to the ground?

Scott

Ahh, got it. Are the disks/database all in the same location? If so, what happens if the building they're housed lost power or burned to the ground?

Scott
The disk are all mirrored in realtime to another location a few hundred miles away or a few thousand miles away. It's not instantaneous but pretty quick to bring alternate location online. Mostly DNS changes are needed to redirect the traffic to the alternate location.

Some companies have identical data centers and run at one for a few months and then the other. They never do any DR testing.

I agree with this having worked in a large healthcare organization. We had a major change in our computers system wide that entailed months of training plus a period of side by side operation on a limited basis. All went well until the Go Live date and then the system floundered for a week. It was a huge fiasco.

What was the of computer system at your healthcare organization ?

What was the of computer system at your healthcare organization ?

I wish I could remember. The latter system might have been Epic but I’m not sure. We were also running Pyxis as a system within pharmacy and that had to be compatible as we had a huge Pyxis setup with nine carousels and around 150 machines system wide.

What I do remember is that the old system had a windows type overlay and the new system was very MS-DOS in appearance which seemed like a big step backwards. But it was needed for computerized doctor order entry plus interdepartmental access. For pharmacy that meant access to dietary, lab, and radiology systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back