Alignment before getting new tires

My car has been chewing the inside edge of the front tires but I am not sure if it's the way the car is set up and/or or because I can't rotate, or if my alignment is actually out. The car feels great and drives straight, good response etc.

I am going to probably just get another pair or tires for the front since the rear are still about half tread. Is it stupid to get it aligned on the old tires or should I wait and get the new ones first? The tires will be exactly the same size and brand. Normally I would wait until I replace them, but I'm wondering if I do it first I may be able to get a few thousand more miles out of the old ones.

You might as well get them both done at the same time. Otherwise, you have to visit the shop twice, wait twice, etc
:unsure:

The tire shop I usually use is small and doesn't have an alignment rack. I could buy the tires from the place I get alignments done but I don't trust them as much to not scratch my wheels.

New (best) tires should go on the back, unfortunately.

Staggered fitment

Alignment does not change on it's own unless you have bent/broken suspension parts.

Look for worn bushings, tie rod ends etc. and replace as necessary before getting an alignment.

Get your alignment now, before the new tires.

Alignments from a (chain) tire store often suck.

The alignment tech will check for loose parts.

I would disagree with your statement.

If one of my tires were to "blowout" I would prefer it to be a rear tire, so It wouldn't affect the steering.

just my opinion.
Ehhhhhhhhh

FWIW the car only has 30k miles (in my sig).

I will probably get the dealer to do it since it doesn't cost much more and the work I have had done there I am very happy with. Plus they will go through all the necessary steps with centering the rack and what not, and not just set the toe and kick it out.

I would disagree with your statement.

If one of my tires were to "blowout" I would prefer it to be a rear tire, so It wouldn't affect the steering.

just my opinion.
Umm...no. With a blowout at the rear you have absolutely no control. At least with a blowout on the front you have your hands on the wheel and have some control.

If you're getting two tires, I would put them on the front for the alignment and then rotate them to the rear right after.

A bit of a headache, but it'll get you the best alignment possible.

Would you guys take your little love fest somewhere else? Please look up what staggered fitment means.

Also the alignment is done with the wheel, not the tire. Theoretically it shouldn't really matter but common sense says probably better to do it after, it's just not as convenient for me and I was hoping to extend treadlife on the old ones by a few thousand miles. Truthfully I don't even know the alignment is the problem it may just be the way the car is set up.

My car has been chewing the inside edge of the front tires but I am not sure if it's the way the car is set up and/or or because I can't rotate, or if my alignment is actually out. The car feels great and drives straight, good response etc.

Get an alignment, scan the sheet and upload it. I'll assess it if you want.

I am going to probably just get another pair or tires for the front since the rear are still about half tread. Is it stupid to get it aligned on the old tires or should I wait and get the new ones first?

Not stupid at all, it simply doesn't matter.

The tires will be exactly the same size and brand. Normally I would wait until I replace them, but I'm wondering if I do it first I may be able to get a few thousand more miles out of the old ones.

Perhaps, we'll see if something's actually off.

Feels great, drives great is not the same being in alignment.

Old vs. New tires is a question for the tech doing the alignment, I would think.

Personally, I would do it with new. Same brand/type, OK, but they’re still going to have a bit different dimensions.

If you're getting two tires, I would put them on the front for the alignment and then rotate them to the rear right after.

A bit of a headache, but it'll get you the best alignment possible.

Why would it be better? Staggered set-up also, rotating impossible.

Also the alignment is done with the wheel, not the tire. Theoretically it shouldn't really matter but common sense says probably better to do it after, it's just not as convenient for me and I was hoping to extend treadlife on the old ones by a few thousand miles. Truthfully I don't even know the alignment is the problem it may just be the way the car is set up.

Why do you think 'common sense says probably better to do it after`? It doesn't matter!

Back