Alaska Airlines eliminates automated check-in/boarding pass kiosks

They’re encouraging passengers to check in and print boarding passes at home and/or use their mobile boarding passes. They were citing congestion in their terminals. They will still have the option to do that with a live person at the airport.

However, I recall that a lot of airports have consolidated check-in kiosks, so I guess Alaska will just disassociate from them. I remember them in Las Vegas, including at the consolidated rental car center as well as at some hotels on The Strip.

How do you print bag tags?
from the article:
"The airline's check-in changes were first announced in April 2023. Along with removing airport kiosks and paper boarding passes it has also introduced bag-tag stations, where passengers print out tags for their baggage before proceeding to a baggage drop point. While some may argue this adds to the workload of each passenger, if it means the end of queues at check-in, then most will be perfectly fine with the compromise."

so.... to reduce wait times... they took away a check-in option, and added another machine...so ANOTHER step....
and some how this is going to make things go smoother?

Flying used to be wonderful experience.
Of all the things that may make flying less of an issue compared to yesteryear, this is not one of them.

First class and international matters aside, I can’t remember when I went to the counter last… and printed a ticket at a kiosk?!? Longer than that!

from the article:
"The airline's check-in changes were first announced in April 2023. Along with removing airport kiosks and paper boarding passes it has also introduced bag-tag stations, where passengers print out tags for their baggage before proceeding to a baggage drop point. While some may argue this adds to the workload of each passenger, if it means the end of queues at check-in, then most will be perfectly fine with the compromise."

so.... to reduce wait times... they took away a check-in option, and added another machine...so ANOTHER step....
and some how this is going to make things go smoother?

I thought maybe they were reusing the older kiosks (where I noted they often used consolidated setups with other airlines) which often had baggage tag printers. However, it looks like they have these smaller "bag tag" kiosks which only print adhesive baggage labels and have a credit card reader. I guess it's a lot simpler since it scans boarding passes that the passenger ostensibly prints up ahead of time and where the passenger may have prepaid for baggage.

b51a1d2a-1492-423c-8d8a-6dc8662e898d-Bag_Tag_4.jpeg

But yeah - the basic idea is to nudge passengers into checking in and obtaining boarding passes ahead of getting to the airport. I guess it might also be faster with the baggage-only kiosk that requires a scanned code from a boarding pass.

Still - I guess it's more interesting now that there's effectively eTicketing and tickets and boarding passes are mostly not bearer instruments where they could be lost without recourse. I've forgotten a printed boarding pass at home and at least I was able to get a boarding pass at the airport if I could find my confirmation number.

I haven't queued up at a check in for years. Recently flew to Malta for a weeks holiday. Both outward and return check ins were done on line before we left home, also passport info confirmed. If you can manage with carry on bags, the whole thing becomes a breeze, Passports were electronically checked on return to the UK so only 2 mins queuing at passport control and no waiting for baggage retrieval. Now that's what I call a wonderful flying experience.

I will be one of those "passengers needing assistance". Can't stand using my smartphone or computer to do anything other than booking a flight and picking my seats. Much prefer getting a paper boarding pass and dealing with a human being at the counter to check my bags. I'm not tech-savvy with my phone and really have no desire to be. Seems like people today need a phone to wipe their rear-ends for them. Just my opinion.

I haven't queued up at a check in for years. Recently flew to Malta for a weeks holiday. Both outward and return check ins were done on line before we left home, also passport info confirmed. If you can manage with carry on bags, the whole thing becomes a breeze, Passports were electronically checked on return to the UK so only 2 mins queuing at passport control and no waiting for baggage retrieval. Now that's what I call a wonderful flying experience.

Alaska Airlines is using a technology for an electronic luggage tag that looks like it's using some sort of eInk. I believe it provides more than just the barcode, but also electronic signaling. I suppose passengers flying with them often enough might be willing to plunk $79, plus whatever baggage fees.

I will be one of those "passengers needing assistance". Can't stand using my smartphone or computer to do anything other than booking a flight and picking my seats. Much prefer getting a paper boarding pass and dealing with a human being at the counter to check my bags. I'm not tech-savvy with my phone and really have no desire to be. Seems like people today need a phone to wipe their rear-ends for them. Just my opinion.

My dad is both tied to his technological gadgets but doesn't like certain features of them. But at the very least it's pretty easy to do online checkin and then print up boarding passes. He can handle that unless the printer driver is messed up.

While I do use electronic boarding passes, I prefer having some sort of backup in the form of paper. I've seen electronics that were accidentally damaged and obviously there can be issues with batteries running down although I'l usually carry some sort of battery backup when traveling.

Here's the technology for the electronic luggage tags.

They're powered by an NFC source like a phone. So if there's no power, the settings remain and they can be powered by an NFC reader.

That’s too bad.

So, when the gate changes - that paper ticket will be wrong, while the smartphone users get the push notification, with updated information.

With some airline apps, they’ll get a map of the airport to find their new gate.

The people who look lost and confused in the airport are the ones clutching pieces of paper. Bereft of information. Needing help.

That’s too bad.

So, when the gate changes - that paper ticket will be wrong, while the smartphone users get the push notification, with updated information.

With some airline apps, they’ll get a map of the airport to find their new gate.

The people who look lost and confused in the airport are the ones clutching pieces of paper. Bereft of information. Needing help.

I tend to use Apple Wallet boarding passes since they still work without internet access and don't really use much power. However, there still is this:

636362197758006957-USAT-02-17-4.jpg

However, getting real time information is good. But I'll typically just check the airport or airline website for updates.

That’s too bad.

Hardly....the reader board will indicate the changed gate....or one could just ask an employee at the gate.

While it's convenient to use one I don't believe you should have to own a smart phone in order to fly, so the option of a paper boarding pass should remain available but you then need a printer at home if you don't want to queue at check in.. Even when I store boarding passes on my phone I still print off a paper copy as a backup. On the international flights I use for holidays, the boarding pass is available for both outward and return flights 30 days before the flight. How that squares with gate information I don't know, I just know it works, possibly because the airline always uses the same terminal and range of gates.

On international flights, we have to show both a passport and boarding pass. In that instance a paper boarding pass may sometimes be considered preferable. It's one thing scanning your phone yourself another handing your phone over for it to be scanned out of sight which is currently the case at the destination passport control. In that instance a paper boarding pass tucked inside the passport at the correct page could be more convenient.

While it's convenient to use one I don't believe you should have to own a smart phone in order to fly, so the option of a paper boarding pass should remain available but you then need a printer at home if you don't want to queue at check in.. Even when I store boarding passes on my phone I still print off a paper copy as a backup. On the international flights I use for holidays, the boarding pass is available for both outward and return flights 30 days before the flight. How that squares with gate information I don't know, I just know it works, possibly because the airline always uses the same terminal and range of gates.

On international flights, we have to show both a passport and boarding pass. In that instance a paper boarding pass may sometimes be considered preferable. It's one thing scanning your phone yourself another handing your phone over for it to be scanned out of sight which is currently the case at the destination passport control. In that instance a paper boarding pass tucked inside the passport at the correct page could be more convenient.
Seems I’m always behind someone trying to scan a QR off a phone - or even trying to find it … I still want a boarding pass - most I can print ahead of time or off a kiosk …

Seems I’m always behind someone trying to scan a QR off a phone - or even trying to find it …

That won't change because they will be the same people that arrive at a supermarket check out and are suddenly surprised they have to pay and go rummaging in bags to find the phone or credit card. Mines in my hand while I'm queuing.

Back