Airport Tests New Way to Avoid Deadly Bird Strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the title to this article and instantly envisioned two guys, in hunting camo, with goggles, shot guns, and parachutes, sitting one on each wing leading edge of the airliner as it takes off. They'd take care of any approaching birds until the airliner got above bird-threat altitude, then they'd bail out over the top of the wing off the trailing edge.

Nah, the article isn't about that, but it is interesting.

Airport Tests New Way to Avoid Deadly Bird Strikes

From near the end of the article:

Quote:
Dayton airport has had a policy for at least 14 years of not killing birds.

How well is that working out? From earlier in the article:

Quote:
Between 2001 and 2013, there were 218 wildlife strikes at Dayton.

I hate to think about killing birds, but Canadian geese especially have proliferated excessively. Hope this works out well, but some of the flocks seem to need some thinning. Ill remember to fly through Cincinnatti or Columbus next time I need to go to Dayton...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I hate to think about killing birds, but Canadian geese especially have proliferated excessively. Hope this works out well, but some of the flocks seem to need some thinning. Ill remember to fly through Cincinnatti or Columbus next time I need to go to Dayton...

I agree on the geese. Here in nc many municipalities require retention ponds for large parking lots, these are geese magnets. With no natural predators tooo many. I have though about knocking one down with my shotgun and cooking it, but i have never heard anyone say they are good to eat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I agree on the geese. Here in nc many municipalities require retention ponds for large parking lots, these are geese magnets. With no natural predators tooo many. I have though about knocking one down with my shotgun and cooking it, but i have never heard anyone say they are good to eat.

I've noticed a few of the retention ponds in our area have wires strung over them in criss cross fashion to discourage the geese.

I have though about knocking one down with my shotgun and cooking it, but i have never heard anyone say they are good to eat.

Go for it! They are actually pretty tasty. We have several avid hunters in the family, so I've had goose plenty of times. We usually have either goose or pheasant for Thanksgiving in addition to the turkey.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I have though about knocking one down with my shotgun and cooking it, but i have never heard anyone say they are good to eat.

Go for it! They are actually pretty tasty. We have several avid hunters in the family, so I've had goose plenty of times. We usually have either goose or pheasant for Thanksgiving in addition to the turkey.

were they canadian geese? I would expect that i a soaking in orange juice might be necessary to degame the taste. Any recipes?

I have an Australian Cattle Dog that loves birds. She works cheap and is very dedicated to her jobs. She needs something to do because left to her own devices gets her into trouble.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have an Australian Cattle Dog that loves birds. She works cheap and is very dedicated to her jobs. She needs something to do because left to her own devices gets her into trouble.

My shepard is a mix with blue heeler. Cattle dogs are so so smart. So smart its scary. My dog could open the front door and the back if it was not locked.( from the outside)

My shepard is a mix with blue heeler. Cattle dogs are so so smart. So smart its scary. My dog could open the front door and the back if it was not locked.( from the outside)

To catch gophers Toby, our ACD, gets down on her belly near a gopher hole and makes a squeaking noise. When the gopher comes up to see what the noise is all about, it's dinner served.

The garage door was a problem in my home. I had to move the button on the wall because Toby would drag a foot stool over to the wall, stand up on it and press the button to open the garage door. She's always watching what I do and has learned several other bad habits, as well. Some times she used her brains to solve a problem and other times she uses brute force. She never comes to me to ask for help like our black lab does when his tennis ball gets stuck somewhere. She undid the latch on the neighbors chicken coop. She did not bother the chickens but went after mice. The problem with her mice hunt was that the neighbor and I spent a half hour catching the chickens and putting them back. Once Toby saw what we were doing she chased back more chickens than we did. She is one very smart dog. And because she catches so many gophers I have very understanding neighbors. She visits them and it appears that everyone in the area knows Toby.

To catch gophers Toby, our ACD, gets down on her belly near a gopher hole and makes a squeaking noise. When the gopher comes up to see what the noise is all about, it's dinner served.

The garage door was a problem in my home. I had to move the button on the wall because Toby would drag a foot stool over to the wall, stand up on it and press the button to open the garage door. She's always watching what I do and has learned several other bad habits, as well. Some times she used her brains to solve a problem and other times she uses brute force. She never comes to me to ask for help like our black lab does when his tennis ball gets stuck somewhere. She undid the latch on the neighbors chicken coop. She did not bother the chickens but went after mice. The problem with her mice hunt was that the neighbor and I spent a half hour catching the chickens and putting them back. Once Toby saw what we were doing she chased back more chickens than we did. She is one very smart dog. And because she catches so many gophers I have very understanding neighbors. She visits them and it appears that everyone in the area knows Toby.

I believe this, they are amazing dogs, and yes they can problem solve!!

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

I always wondered about if they were good too. I could easily trap a ton of them, without even having to pull out the shotgun (they would be easy enough to kill with a .22 short handgun Id bet).

I had heard that they had nearly gone extinct, and were coming back. Not sure if that was true or not.

I've had several opportunities to reach out and grab a goose by the neck. There's a few spots around me where people like to hang out and let their kids feed them. I may get some dirty looks if I did grab one tho
banana2.gif

On the bird strike at airport topic..... I'd think putting out a bunch of dummy coyotes and other predators doused with pheromones would do a pretty good job at keeping birds away. At the Portland airport I've been out to plane spot a few times and heard cannons go off to keep birds away.
Bird strikes are gnarly when they happen. I almost hit a bald eagle one time while on my first x-country solo into Olympia airport in Washington.

I had heard that they had nearly gone extinct, and were coming back. Not sure if that was true or not.

I don't know if they were close to extinction, but certainly not now. If fact they are a nuisance , too many. Some areas are covered in goose poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back