Airbound Cooling System in New Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me, I cannot get the air out of my fiancee's cooling system. Its a 2003 VW Beetle with a 2.0L engine. It all started when she told me that its over heating (light has come on while driving. I drained an flushed the system and could not get any heat. Worked at it all on Sunday. Took the day off yesterday and replaced the thermostat. Replaced the coolant with Prestone Long Life stuff. It has taken almost a gallon and a half of 50/50 mix, but will overheat going around the block and at idle will not produce heat from the heater core. If driving with the temp light on, it will sporadically bear a little bit of heat.

Filling the system took hours. I had to warm up the car with the expansion tank cap off, at which time the coolant would bubble and squirt once warm, turn the car off, let the coolant level go down and chase it with some more as the level dropped. It was a very long process. Once the temp dropped enough to close the thermostat, it would not take any more.

I don't think its a head gasket issue because it runs fine, I replaced the plugs and didn't find any white residue and the exhaust doesn't smell sweet.Also I drained the oil and coolant and found no mixing between the two.

Is there a special procedure for changing coolant in a VW that is different that most normal vehicles? Could something else be blocking the flow of air/coolant in the sytem?

The last time I witnessed symptoms like yours, it was due to a collapsed radiator tank. It didn't leak externally...it just restricted flow to the point that the engine wasn't getting enough coolant. It also prevented the heater from providing any reasonable amount of hot air, despite the car seriously overheating.

These engines are know to have water pump failures and I'm thinking that might be the problem in the first place. I'm going to call the local VW dealer and talk top someone in service.

BTW- the car has a little over 105K miles.

Waterpump has spun its (plastic) impellor. Won't leak , but won't pump! Change the timing belt once you have it apart; same amount of work.
VERY common on 1.8t
HTH Jorge

Last edited:
Thanks!

Got a quote from the dealer and its about $1000.

How hard is this to do in the driveway? How long would it take approximately?

It's about 6-12 hours in the driveway , visit vwvortex.com for the gory details / pics.
The site sponsors sell kits with all the stuff for a decent price so , do your homework first and consult a local shop , rather than the dealer. It's a common repair.
my2c
Jorge

As an update, we found a dealer who will do it for a reasonable price. About $700 for pump, timing belt and tensioner.

If you are stuck, try VWvortex.com and if you need work, use the Bosch Service Center locator at BOSCH.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back