Air filter replacement, how did I miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

When it comes to maintenance, I'm usually very anal. Today I was looking my truck over(98 chevy K1500) making sure it was ready for winter and decided to check my air filter. The filter was dirty but not horribly so. I keep very detailed maintenance logs so I checked to see when I last changed the filter and it was back in 2001 and about 100,000 miles ago. Truck currently has about 133,000 miles on it.

I was shocked to say the least. I had not realized it had been that long or that many miles ago. I looked in the owner's manual and it said to change it every 30,000 miles.

My truck has one of those filter minder gadgets mounted right after the filter box and since it never went into the red, I guess I never thought to check the filter. The tube after the filter was clean so I don't guess any dirt got past the filter. I also run the optional high capacity air filter in this truck so that probably helped out.

I guess I had better do a better job on this in the future.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sounds like you are fine. Especially since you use the larger capacity filter.

+1. Change it now.

I go through filters so fast. I blow the one in my jeep out every month or so. jeep lost power. Would hardly pull a hill.

I finally replaced the filter and the jeep was fixed. Aparantly blowing them out isnt a 100% guarantee they are clean.

What's the reasoning behind changing the filter when the filter-minder says its OK?

Perhaps dirt migrates through the filter with time/use even though there isn't enough of it to make the filter unduly restrictive?

Last edited:
with all the dust and dirt in Texas, especially during a dry season, I replace all filters every fall without fail.

Cabin filter is trashed, and the engine filter could probably go two years, but I change it 1x per year anyways.

The denso filters are well made, and dirt cheap. I just replaced cabin filter and engine filter in my sonata for $15 for both filters.

I did replace it with a High Capacity Wix filter so I'm good for awhile. I guess I'm just disappointed in myself for letting it go for so long especially since I'm such a fanatic about maintenance.

The filter minder is spring loaded so I'm guessing when the filter gets clogged enough, the suction from the intake will compress the spring and show the red part of the minder. I've never actually heard of it happening so I'm not sure if it actually works.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Have read many places that a slightly dirty air filter is acually better at filtering.
True if your Running a K&N or similar filter that's gets Oiled.

Originally Posted By: wtd
I guess I'm just disappointed in myself for letting it go for so long especially since I'm such a fanatic about maintenance. Wayne

Man, I know that feeling very well. I maintain a fair amount of equipment at work and every now and then something pops up and I question my sanity "how in the heck did I miss THAT!" One time the farm tractor bolts that hold the rim to the center dish loosened up to the point one fell out. How did I miss that? Adding salt to the wound is when some Goober comes up that knows nothing mechanical and points out the problem. My coworker says I kick myself enough that he does not need to "rib me" much. To err is human!

How was the physical condition of the filter? Was the rubber seal still good?

I've never actually heard of it happening so I'm not sure if it actually works.

Maybe it doesn't, but I'd say its more likely that its set to indicate at a pressure drop that is closish to actually causing a problem.

Evidence I've seen says engines are relatively insensitive to filter restriction, so most people who change filters change them far too early.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fxrider
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Have read many places that a slightly dirty air filter is acually better at filtering.
True if your Running a K&N or similar filter that's gets Oiled.

Don't see why it would be restricted to oiled filters, and don't believe it is, though I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I guess I'm just disappointed in myself for letting it go for so long especially since I'm such a fanatic about maintenance. Wayne

Man, I know that feeling very well. I maintain a fair amount of equipment at work and every now and then something pops up and I question my sanity "how in the heck did I miss THAT!" One time the farm tractor bolts that hold the rim to the center dish loosened up to the point one fell out. How did I miss that? Adding salt to the wound is when some Goober comes up that knows nothing mechanical and points out the problem. My coworker says I kick myself enough that he does not need to "rib me" much. To err is human!

How was the physical condition of the filter? Was the rubber seal still good?
The filter that I just took out was an AC-Delco high capacity one. The filter itself looked good as did the rubber seal. I do know that it was easier taking off this filter than it was to put the new one on so it seems like the rubber on the old one may have stretched out a little. The inside of the old filter still looked white so it seems no dirt went through it.

Wayne

The air filter restriction gauges work- they're prevalent in over the road and heavy equipment applications.

People like to bug out over "dirty" filters but they don't hurt a thing and as one poster pointed out, they work better.... to a point, where flow across the media is restricted which is the purpose of the gauge.

Run your next one for at least 50k miles then pop the cover off and take a peek to assuage your fears- then leave it alone and keep on running it as long as the rodents haven't gotten to it.

I'd run mine considerably longer but every so often I need to make sure the stinking mice haven't eaten it up and since the seals on the filter aren't meant to handle multiple installations I'll change it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back